What Was Your First Bottle Of Ink

Ambrose Bierce

Hi there! I'm new here, but this looks like a fun community.

My first bottle took forever to choose. I had previously used cartridges, but felt that the color choices for that brand were a bit stifling. I knew there were more colors out there, but had no idea just how many until I went to make a purchase.

After agonizing over the choices, I surprised myself by selecting a bottle of J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis. I'm not much of a blue fan in general, but from the moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it. It is such a variable ink - it shades beautifully, dries much paler than it writes when wet, and seems to darken as it sits in the pen. It reminds me of the sea and sky on a stormy day.

I've tried a number of inks over the years thanks to sampling services, but I always have one pen inked with Bleu Myosotis. I never would have guessed that I would fall in love with my first ink.

I'm going to check this ink out, thanks to your description. It sounds fascinating.

Posted Image

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• TSherbs

• Charles Rice

• NotRosie

Private Reserve Ebony Purple. It had to be not-blue, but I was too afraid to buy a full bottle of anything not conservatively-passable. Next bottle was J Herbin Rouge Opera, followed swiftly by Iroshi Kon Peki. So, being subtly conservative didn't last too long.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Pelikan 4001 Königsblau (Royal blue?)

I still like the ink & will probably always keep a bottle in, even just for nostalgia.

Matt

Pelikan Blue I think. That was like a million years ago when people still had weird pants.

Actually, I'm not sure if they ever didn't have weird pants.

Skinny pants aren't pants >8[

>8[

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

My first order of ink was three bottles, I think. Herbin Cacao du Bresil and Terre de Feu and R&K Alt-goldgrun. Still my top three favorites.

I got a parker vector calligraphy set in a grey box and bottles of turquoise, green, red, blue and black Quink from my parents one Christmas in the early nineties.

Sheaffer bleu-black in the early 80's, In those days they made real nice bleu-black unlike the greenish nowaday's from Parker, Waterman and also Sheaffer. Today only Pelikan 4001 comes close, so that's what I use.

Joop

Sheaffer bleu-black in the early 80's,

My first ink was Shaeaffer Skrip blue that I got in the 80s. I only used my FP on and off then. I still have some and use it time to time, I had to change the cap since it got stuck. I also got some black Parker in the late 80s. That's the only kind of ink you could find back then.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am a little surprised by the number of people who have joined the fountain pen ranks so recently that they know - and in some cases still have - the first bottle of ink they ever bought.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am a little surprised by the number of people who have joined the fountain pen ranks so recently that they know - and in some cases still have - the first bottle of ink they ever bought.

I know for me, I save the bottles as a visual representation of all the work I've done. That half-bottle of 54th was 3 months of hospital work. The mostly-empty Tuski-yo? A tough month on ICU. The mostly-gone Salix? 10 pages a day on Pediatrics.

It's just a nice remembrance.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

• 1 month later...

You can sure spot the "oldtimers" on this thread!

Sheaffer Peacock Blue was my first bottle of ink purchased and still one of my all time favorites.

You can sure spot the "oldtimers" on this thread!

Sheaffer Peacock Blue was my first bottle of ink purchased and still one of my all time favorites.

Not an old-timer by any stretch of the imagination, but after finding a 2/3 full pint bottle of Peacock Blue in an antiques mall last summer, I can understand why it would be someone's favorite....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Parker Quink black. I purchased it because it was the only bottle available at staples. Have yet to use it because of all of the other bottles that magically appeared on my desk ;)