Calligraphy

Drawing61

Hello,

Yet another question. Because of my new love of fountain pens which, alas, has morphed into an addition I want to use then as much as possible. I write and draw with them but would like to go a bit farther. I love the art of good hand writing and especially the art of calligraphy. I would like to learn some basic skills in both. Can anyone recommend textbooks, practice guides, etc. to get me started? Among my artist friends no one is a calligrapher and when I checked the internet for classes in my area I come up with things such as "design your own wedding invitation in two easy lessons".

Thanks in advance for advice.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• Mister John

• Drawing61

• nickmazur

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you post your question in the Handwriting Forum on FPN. You will get lots of advice. In addition, there are several pinned topics that might help you.

If and when you ask again, let us know what style(s) of calligraphy particularly interest you.

Happy writing!

David

You can try the following:

1-2-3 Calligraphy!: Letters and Projects for Beginners and Beyond by Eleanor Winters

Margaret Shepherd's Calligraphy Projects by Margaret Shepherd

I would also recommend taking a calligraphy class at your local community ed or a similar class. I took such a class last spring and a couple of the students were learning specifically how to do wedding invitations, etc.

If interested in copperplate, Eleanor Winters book is excellent. This will, however, require your getting specialized flex nibs (most likely for dip pens) to achieve. For italic hand, I found Dubay and Getty's book "Italic Letters" to be excellent. My general advice is to pick one or two hands and learn them well rather than trying a zillion different hands. Thus, i would avoid the many calligraphic lettering dictionaries out there. While it may seem like a value to get a whole bunch of hands to choose from, the coverage in most of these texts is so terse that you really cannot use them. Merely seeing the alphabet of a given hand and the steps to making each letter is insufficient to master it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files