Is That Thing Functional?(Dunn Pen Salesman Sample)

frenchguy86

I came across that ebay auction(http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331371325865) of an oversize Dunn Pen sample. Not that I'm interested in buying it, but I always thought that sale sample where dummy pens.

Seller list it as functional, anyone know if those pens are? Or maybe its just the filling system that works?

It looks seriously oversize.

http://i.imgur.com/tsG2qeJ.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/1UvWYJA.jpg?1

ps:I linked the auction but will delete the link if it's against the board rules.(just felt cheap re-hosting sellers pic without at least putting the link).
Edited by frenchguy86

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• MarcShiman

• OakIris

• frenchguy86

It's a Dunn Tank, and it is a functional pen. It's just a really, really large model. Really large.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

The seller actually says that "the components APPEAR to be functional although it has not been tested." (My emphasis.) Kind of like saying that a car appears to be functional, but I haven't actually tried to start it or drive it.....

Some folks seem to think it is a very desirable piece - started out a few days ago at $9.95 and is now at $685 and counting. I would be interested in knowing if the salesman samples were indeed working pens - and why this one in particular can garner such prices.

Here is an article about Dunn pens from Richard Binder's site: Profile: The Dunn-Pen I wouldn't mind having one of their "regular" pens - they are quite nice looking (IMHO) and have excellent ink capacity. Here is Richard's conclusion, which may give a hint as to why the above salesman sample is going for such a high price:

When All Is Said and Dunn

Dunn-Pen was one of the better second-tier companies, and by rights it should have survived longer than it did. Today its pens — especially those with Bakelite barrels — are relatively rare and highly collectible. They’re sturdy, attractive, and possessed of a remarkably large ink capacity. (The smaller of the two Dreadnaughts illustrated in this article holds 2.2 ml.) Except for those with Bakelite or clear celluloid barrels, they’re excellent users.

Holly

The most recent issue of the Pennant has a nice spread showing a Dunn Tank, along with a picture of the trade notice from 1921 that I discovered that revealed the name of this fabled huge pen, which had previously been called the Dunn Giant by collectors.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

So how did the Dunn pen fill? Was it the same basic idea as the Onoto?

It fills like a syringe, with the added feature of a breather tube that allows both multi-stroke ink intake and the ability to depress the plunger when filling is complete without ejecting all the ink. It's a different principle than that used by Onoto (and the Sheaffer Vac-Fil).

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Let me clarify my description of the filling system; it is unlike a typical syringe, in that it does not use a piston seal (a seal between the head of the piston and the interior wall of the barrel), but rather a rod seal (a seal at the back end of the barrel between the barrel and the exterior wall of the piston).

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

OMG, apparently some people really want it. 3 days to go already near 2k. Is the nib gold plated? there's actually no mention of gold content on the nib.

OMG, apparently some people really want it. 3 days to go already near 2k. Is the nib gold plated? there's actually no mention of gold content on the nib.

it's solid gold; likely 14K. Few nibs on good pens were marked with gold content in the US.

Top-quality giant pens are rare and extremely desirable. This model is likely the largest regular-production self-filler ever made; it's an iconic pen. it was dubbed "the pen without a heart," because there is no heart-shaped pierce at the terminus of the nib slit.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

So in reality, this is not a salesman's sample, it is an actual pen model that people could buy to use back in the 1920's? I can't imagine writing with such a large pen; when fully inked, it is probably too heavy to lift up, lol.

Anyway, I don't have to worry about it - the price was too high for me several days ago and now it has gone into the ridiculous range - at least it has to my wallet, which began rolling on the floor and laughing when I mentioned the price to it. :P

Holly

Edited by OakIris

So in reality, this is not a salesman's sample, it is an actual pen model that people could buy to use back in the 1920's? I can't imagine writing with such a large pen; when fully inked, it is probably too heavy to lift up, lol.

Anyway, I don't have to worry about it - the price was too high for me several days ago and now it has gone into the ridiculous range - at least it has to my wallet, which began rolling on the floor and laughing when I mentioned the price to it. :P

Holly

It was mentioned in the trade papers that it was probably going to be used by salesman as a sample, no doubt due to its eye-catching dimensions. I suspect anyone could purchase one if an enquiry was made.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

$4750 closing price.

This model is much larger than a Parker Black Giant or a Waterman 20, and substantially rarer. Adding to its appeal, it is a pump-filler, whereas nearly all the other early giants were eyedroppers.

I don't object to calling them Dunn giants, as the small-g "giant" is an accurate and clear descriptive term. Will try to do a little digging later this week to see when the name "Super Dreadnaught" got (wrongly) attached to them. I strongly suspect it was pulled out of a hat early on by Cliff Lawrence in his Pen Fanciers' Magazine, and was thereafter repeated by other authors until accepted as fact.

Never too late to set the record straight.

David