How Can I Make My Writing More Characterful?

Ciliegia

Dear all

I’d welcome your thoughts and suggestions re how to add a little flair and panache to my daily handwriting.

Broadly, it’s fine. I shouldn’t complain about it as it’s usually legible and I’ve certainly seen worse examples.

However, it’s quite juvenile and characterless, and I’d like it to be a bit more stylish, though without becoming stylised.

I’m a down-to-earth woman by nature so I don’t want to morph my handwriting into something that looks studied or too belaboured, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable with too many loops, flourishes or curlicues…but I would welcome a little more je ne sais quoi.

I tend to write quite quickly, and sometimes I think my faster writing has more flair than my ‘neater’ writing, but ideally I’d like the ‘neater’ hand (the one I use for writing birthday cards and thank you notes etc!) to show a little more individuality and character.

The example on the lined paper is my note-taking at speed in a meeting at work…to show you what my ‘writing under time pressure’ is like…

Thanks in advance for your suggestions…

post-33960-0-84551800-1415794241_thumb.jpg

post-33960-0-30626700-1415794255_thumb.png

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ciliegia

• Mickey

• ac12

• Princeps Anglorum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

God question and one I often ponder so will be really interested to see the advice you get from others.

Each individual's handwriting is an extension of their personality and characteristics. When I receive letters, I instantly recognize who the person is. I grew up in the age before the ballpoint pen came on the scene, and was taught a simplified calligraphy at school.

As I grew older I developed handwriting which my Sister tells me is akin to my Father's. I have attempted writing with Calligraphic alphabet, but when I start to concentrate my thoughts into writing it quickly reverts to my own style.

To my eye, your handwriting is easy to read. Your characters aren't juvenile.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I love your writing! And it already has flair. It looks individual, and is probably a good reflection of who you are. You say you want to change it, but don't want to change it (too many loops, flourishes and curlicues).

I wouldn't change a thing. Just keep writing, and allow your mood to flow through your pen.

IMHO

-WM

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

There are essentially two ways of learning any style of handwriting. There is copying the letter forms using your present writing technique and there is learning the technique to properly create the letter forms. Of the two, the former tends to erase personality, where the latter provides the structure to display one's personality. Trying to graft bits of personality onto a lifetime of habits usually results in exactly the sort of mannered, over-decorated scribbling you wish to avoid. So, pick a style that suits your eye and learn how to write all over again, like a child - stroke by stroke - but informed by a lifetime of experience.

From what I see in your post, I believe you could comfortably move to either a cursive italic ("Write Now!" Getty-Dubay) or a stripped down Spencerian ("Spencerian Penmanship" Platt Rogers Spencer) both available from Amazon.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Each individual's handwriting is an extension of their personality and characteristics. When I receive letters, I instantly recognize who the person is. I grew up in the age before the ballpoint pen came on the scene, and was taught a simplified calligraphy at school.

As I grew older I developed handwriting which my Sister tells me is akin to my Father's. I have attempted writing with Calligraphic alphabet, but when I start to concentrate my thoughts into writing it quickly reverts to my own style.

To my eye, your handwriting is easy to read. Your characters aren't juvenile.

Yes, I know what you mean when you say you quickly revert to your own style. If I concentrate and focus I can write a passable cursive italic, and I can even do a passable business handwriting (when I say 'passable' in both cases I mean that it's far from perfect, but it's a tolerable approximation to what it's supposed to look like)...but once I stop focusing and just write for a functional purpose (meeting notes, journal entries, shopping lists etc) my handwriting always reverts back to this basic style.

I know it's not terrible writing, but it lacks something and I can't quite put my finger on what it is...all I know is that sometimes I see other people's handwriting (particularly arty-type folks) and it makes me slightly envious ...it's something about the way they some folks write their "g", "f", and "s" that appeals to me, and I can't consistently replicate the seeming artlessness with which they make those letters look so smooth and natural.

I love your writing! And it already has flair. It looks individual, and is probably a good reflection of who you are. You say you want to change it, but don't want to change it (too many loops, flourishes and curlicues).

I wouldn't change a thing. Just keep writing, and allow your mood to flow through your pen.

IMHO

-WM

Thank you - what a lovely compliment. You're right - I'm not sure exactly what I DO want! I guess I just want to tweak my style rather than overturn it completely and replace with something completely different. I'm pleased you think it already has some flair and individuality..I guess people are always their own worst critics...

There are essentially two ways of learning any style of handwriting. There is copying the letter forms using your present writing technique and there is learning the technique to properly create the letter forms. Of the two, the former tends to erase personality, where the latter provides the structure to display one's personality. Trying to graft bits of personality onto a lifetime of habits usually results in exactly the sort of mannered, over-decorated scribbling you wish to avoid. So, pick a style that suits your eye and learn how to write all over again, like a child - stroke by stroke - but informed by a lifetime of experience.

From what I see in your post, I believe you could comfortably move to either a cursive italic ("Write Now!" Getty-Dubay) or a stripped down Spencerian ("Spencerian Penmanship" Platt Rogers Spencer) both available from Amazon.

Thanks Mickey, that's helpful! I've Googled both the styles you suggest and 'cursive italic' is a style that appeals to me, so I've practised it for an hour or so off and on throughout the day (baby steps!). Whilst my practise lines look stilted at the moment, I think it has potential, and it's close enough to my natural style that it doesn't feel as if I'm aiming for a complete transformation.Incidentally, this is the first time since primary school (40+ years ago!) that I've actually 'practised' handwriting, which is probably part of the problem! I think until I found this site I always assumed one's handwriting style was hard-wired into one's genetic make-up, like eye colour or height...it's good to know that's not true!

I'll keep up my practising and look forward to seeing an improvement....

What I did and still do is to keep an eye out for interesting lettering. And if it looks interesting enough, adopt and adapt it into your handwriting.

Example, I do my upper case L similar to the L in the Leica logo, where the horizontal stroke goes under the following letters.

In this way, my handwriting does not stay the same, it changes over time as I adopt new letter forms.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for your input AC12 - that's a good idea!

I've made myself some practise sheets - if I can't learn good writing from these sentences there's no hope for me!

post-33960-0-16149000-1415881205_thumb.png

You might try a stub/italic nib; that would be an easy and simple way to add a bit of flair to your writing. I like my Pilot 78G Bold with Aurora Black.

DB

You might try a stub/italic nib; that would be an easy and simple way to add a bit of flair to your writing. I like my Pilot 78G Bold with Aurora Black.

DB

That's a good idea! I have access to a very old Parker 51 with an italic nib that I never ever use...it's my husband's pen and very precious to him as it's the only personal possession of his late father that he has, but it just gathers dust in a drawer as my husband isn't and never will be a person that writes with a fountain pen. He'd be very happy if he saw that the pen was being used (he encourages me to do so but I never have), but I'd need to get it professionally cleaned and serviced before I dared to use it as it hasn't been inked or used for more than 30 years. All I've done is clean it superficially and dip it to check the smoothness of the nib...and it's a beauty!!!

I will be honest, I don't understand how anyone could believe that buying (borrowing or stealing) a nib of some particular shape is going to make their handwriting automatically more distinctive or personal. It will simply make one person's unschooled handwriting look like the unschooled handwriting of some other person who bought into the same advice. However, learning to use said magic nib as it was intended to be used, does provide an opportunity to make one's handwriting more distinctive AND personal. It is the process of learning a new hand (or relearning an old) that allows the true, present day personality to come forward. The rest is artifice and rather ineffective artifice at that. IOW, there ain't no free lunch - sweat equity. You've got to earn your improvement. (Think John Houseman.)

Likewise, I usually dislike poaching individual characters from other hands for much the same reason. It is more in the manner of presenting what you wish others would think of you, than revealing a bit of yourself through your handwriting. It's kind of disingenuous. Also, unless the approach is informed by some knowledge of both the hand one writes and the hand from which one poaches, the result will most likely be read as affectation, not honest expression of personality (unless of course one longs to be thought affected). Plus, the alien character or characters typically fit on the page about as well as Rottweilers in the Vienna Boys Choir. (Okay, I will admit I'd probably like the Vienna Boy Choir better if they did have a couple of Rottweilers, but that's a different conversation.)

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I will be honest, I don't understand how anyone could believe that buying (borrowing or stealing) a nib of some particular shape is going to make their handwriting automatically more distinctive or personal. It will simply make one person's unschooled handwriting look like the unschooled handwriting of some other person who bought into the same advice. However, learning to use said magic nib as it was intended to be used, does provide an opportunity to make one's handwriting more distinctive AND personal. It is the process of learning a new hand (or relearning an old) that allows the true, present day personality to come forward. The rest is artifice and rather ineffective artifice at that. IOW, there ain't no free lunch - sweat equity. You've got to earn your improvement. (Think John Houseman.)

Likewise, I usually dislike poaching individual characters from other hands for much the same reason. It is more in the manner of presenting what you wish others would think of you, than revealing a bit of yourself through your handwriting. It's kind of disingenuous. Also, unless the approach is informed by some knowledge of both the hand one writes and the hand from which one poaches, the result will most likely be read as affectation, not honest expression of personality (unless of course one longs to be thought affected). Plus, the alien character or characters typically fit on the page about as well as Rottweilers in the Vienna Boys Choir. (Okay, I will admit I'd probably like the Vienna Boy Choir better if they did have a couple of Rottweilers, but that's a different conversation.)

Mickey, I absolutely agree that everything worth having takes time and effort. Once I've had the Parker serviced by an expert, I'll use it alongside the "Write Now!" book that you recommended in your earlier post (I found a second hand copy on Amazon) and I expect to have to start completely from scratch. First of all I need to learn how to even hold and write with an italic pen, and then I need to start at the very beginning. I've a large page-a-day unlined journal that I intend to use for my daily practice sessions so that I can track my progress (presupposing there is some). Outside of the formal practice sessions I'll try to improve my style consistency in my regular journal entries and when writing meeting notes at work. If this time next year I can write a decent cursive italic on my Christmas cards I'll be a very happy woman!

What I can't figure out is whether it's better (or even possible) to have two distinct handwriting styles and use the practise sessions for the one hand (cursive italic) to improve marginally the other (everyday) hand. I think I may be able to re-train myself to have better form if I use an italic nib and follow a structured guide (Write Now!), but I don't think it's necessarily feasible for me to write with an italic nib in my everyday notebooks (with such a broad nib I'd need to write on every other line, and it probably wouldn't be practical, given that I seem to almost constantly writing meeting notes whilst at work). Normally I use a fine nib and a chicken scrawl for my meeting notes....

PS. I know what you mean about trying to 'graft' another person's style onto one's own...I've tried that with individual letters (usually capital letters ) in the past and I've always hated the result...it looks what it is, namely, me trying to poach something that didn't come naturally to me. I thought, though, that maybe it was just because I wasn't doing it right, not because it was innately a bad thing. Certainly I've found that the 'Frankenstein' cuckoo-in-the-nest letters quickly get dropped because they just don't look as though they belong...

Edited by Ciliegia

At first, maintaining two hands will make the most sense, but eventually, you will find elements of italic trying creep into your default hand. Let them and eventually italic will simply take over. It's how it worked for me a few decades ago.

I don't know how broad your Parker is. The nib in my Centennial is a #94 (medium italic) and I can write quite comfortably with it on Seyes lined paper. I suspect whatever size nib you start off with will seem too big for normal writing at first, but you may well change your mind once you become more comfortable with your new hand.

Edited by Mickey

I use both a 1.1 stub italic nib and F and M nibs.

The F gets used for work on 7mm lined paper (US college ruled), the M and the 1.1 in my journal on 8mm lines (US wide ruled).

I need more space for the larger M and 1.1 nibs.

In meetings, I write faster, and the faster I write the worse my handwriting gets. So I end up with 2 different hands, the 2nd just being a sloppy version of my normal hand, from writing FAST.

For your practice I would recommend using narrow lined paper or even better making a custom guide sheet to put below your paper.

I think having a line for the height of your lower case letters and the decenders will be a great help. Without a line for my lower case letters, I have trouble keeping my lower case at the same height.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Ciliegia, your husband's pen may or may not need a major overhaul. If it's a 51 Aerometric, it may just need to be flushed out well. And even if it's a 51 Vac, there's a *possibility* that it won't need servicing (although you are more likely to need to have the diaphragm replaced). There's a pinned thread in the Parker Forum on how to do this (I think it's called something like "So you've found your first 51 in the Wild").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

PS -- I like your handwriting for the most part as is (although in your second exemplar some of the letters are a bit too closed in and angular to be super-legible).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Italic can be written just as well with a normal round-tipped pen as with an edged nib. You'll find that the first 2/3 of the "Write Now" book are about monoline Italic and it's not until the last third, that writing with the edged nib is introduced.