Inky T O D - If Your Ink Collection Were Gone Tomorrow, What Would You Buy Again?

amberleadavis

One night, the naughty elves (they were banished from Toy Land a generation ago) sneak down the chimney. They eat all the cookies, open all the presents, and play with all your pens. Only your inks are missing. Every ink bottle is GONE. Your significant other does not believe you, and asks if you are going to blame your imaginary friend next. You protest that Fred is innocent. No one believes you. Finally, you send a note to Santa asking for him to send his crack team of investigators to the scene to determine that you are in fact, NICE. Santa is too busy this time of year to do the investigation, so he submits your claim to the North Pole insurance company under a theory of employer liability.

You receive a check for the exact amount to replace your ink in exactly the same condition (so if you had 1/4 full bottle of Parker Penman, that's what would be replaced). Assume you could actually replace those hard to find vintage gimborn bottles.

So, now you are in a dilemma .... what do you do? Do you replace your collection as it was, or do you replace only your favorites and buy new stuff.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• JimCouch

• jmccarty3

• Morwen

I'd replace my favourites and try new inks. You never know- the new inks you try may become your new favourites!

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Noodler's Black, Pelikan Konigsblau, Montblanc Honore de Balzac, and Noodler's Apache Sunset would need to be replaced. As for the rest, who knows with all the options out there.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

I thought Halloween was over - this is a frightening scenario.

There are no vintage inks in my collection, but there are several Organic Studio inks that can't be replaced. I'd certainly get the crucial ones:

- Noodler's Apache Sunset

- Akkerman #29

- Private Reserve Ebony Blue

- Noodler's Black

- R&K Salix

- Organic Studios Edgar Allan Poe

After that, I'd probably be tempted to stray into some new acquisitions.

I'd start by replacing my favorites: Iroshizuku, Sailor, and Mont Blanc. I'd then take the difference and start exploring iron galls, Akkerman, and some of the other smaller brands of inks.

Buzz

I like questions like this because they force one to think in terms of essentials, revealing what is important to the individual, and this of course can vary widely from person to person. I would replace MB Royal Blue and Mystery Black immediately and enjoy the space created for a while. Then, in future, if the urge hit to use another colour, I'd think about what at that time.

Edited by Joane

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

I'd rebuy Noodler's Eel Red Rattler, J. Herbin Orange Indien, Namiki Blue, Pelikan Brown, Diamine Florida Blue and maybe Diamine Orange and Noodle's Apache Sunset too. I seem to be in an Orange phase right now. :)

Diamine Ancient Copper
Diamine Mediterranean Blue
Diamine Red Dragon
Diamine Royal Blue
Diamine Sapphire Blue
J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite
J. Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey
Montblanc Lavender Purple
Montblanc Toffee Brown
Noodler's Navy
Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji
Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo
Private Reserve Electric DC Blue
Sailor Nagasawa Kobe #4 Ijinkan Red
Sailor Sei Boku

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Kung Te Cheng

Bad Belted Kingfisher

Baystate Blue

Bulletproof Black

I'd be OK just replacing these and then using the rest of the cash to buy another pen.

Probably about 2/3's of my ink that I would not repurchase. Live and learn.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Of those that I have used so far I would have to replace these:

Diamine Asa Blue

Diamine Amazing Amethyst

Diamine Tyrian Purple

Diamine Chocolate Brown

Diamine Autumn Oak

Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses (old version)

Noodlers Kiowa Pecan

Noodlers V-Mail Burma Rd. Brown

Noodlers V-Mail Midway Blue

Noodlers Legal Lapis

Noodlers Blue

Waterman Absolute Brown

Private Reserve D.C.Supershow Blue (only when 50-50 mix with water) This mix makes it manageable and a perfect match to P.R. American Blue

Mont Blanc Irish Green

Mont Blanc Oyster Grey

Sheaffer Turquoise

Sheaffer Peacock Blue

Paradise Pens Turquoise

Parker Quink Black

Yes I have an addiction!

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I would replace every and each one of my ink bottles... and my samples too. I don't keep ink I don't like.

I usually give it away (to my in house artist to use, or to friends to play with) or trade with someone for other ink. ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I'd replace them all, but since the dollar-yen exchange rate is now more favorable I'd also buy more with the excess.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I would probably replace them all.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I would replace my favorites and then pocket the difference. I have a lot of inks, and while I have enjoyed them all, there are many I would choose not to buy again.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Of what I now have I would reorder two-thirds of them, marked with asterisks, and add several I haven't tried. Here's the list.

1. Aurora Black*
  2. Aurora Blue*
  3. De Atramentis Document Blue
  4. De Atramentis Document Dark Blue
  5. De Atramentis Hyacinth
  6. De Atramentis Indigo Blue*
  7. Diamine Matador
  8. Diamine Monaco
  9. Diamine Orange*
  10. Diamine Red Dragon
  11. Diamine Sapphire Blue*
  12. Diamine Sargasso Sea
  13. Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean*
  14. Montblanc Irish Green*
  15. Noodler's Baystate Blue*
  16. Omas Blue*
  17. Pelikan 4001 Black*
  18. Pilot Blue-Black*
  19. Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao
  20. Platinum Blue-Black*
  21. Platinum Pigment Blue*
  22. Sailor Jentle Blue*
  23. Sailor Nano Black
  24. Sheaffer Red*
  25. Visconti Blue*
  26. Waterman Absolute Brown*
  27. Waterman Serenity Blue*
  28. Waterman ("Absolute"? "Serenity"? and now this?) Tender Purple
Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I would replace all the bottles I have. They work fine in one pen or another, so none are duds.

It is the samples that I have colors that I don't care for.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

There are a few I would replace with something else, but not a lot. I have found that even an ink that I was not originally impressed with often grows on me as time goes by :).

I'm having to breathe into a brown paper bag a the the very thought of such an exercise . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_brown_paper_bag.jpg