Ink And Wax Seals From Harry Potter World

TheGreatRoe

post-97570-0-31636900-1415584361_thumb.jpg

I just got back from a week in Orlando, Florida, and while I didn't have time to look for any pen & ink acquisitions, I did find myself spending a day in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. And while ducking in and out of shops looking for something to send to my kids, I stumbled across Sribbulus. I'm not a big enough fan to have recognized the shop but my new bride tells me that in a couple of the books Harry bought some of his school supplies at Scibbulus.

As one would expect from a touristy shop most of their wares were overpriced and of lesser quality. They sold decent paper in packs of 10 sheets and a few envelopes for far too much. The quill pens were mostly ballpoints although there were a couple that would take a metal nib. And a wide variety of paper pads at ridiculous prices.

Behind the register there were some nicer items. A few rocker-blotters with some blotting paper. Large rubber stamps of various designs. Little glass jars for keeping sand, powder or other desiccant.

And as you can see from the picture above there were also wax seals and ink. As for the wax seals, there were all 26 letters, the arms of Hogwarts and the 4 houses, and then some more playful designs. When my wife found out that I had wax at home she insisted on getting the Deathly Hallows seal and the Ministry of Magic. I got the 9 3/4 just because I thought it was fun.

And the inks. There were 3 different kinds of bottles and the gentleman working the register knew more about them that I expected he would.

The most expensive ink came in a an ornate metal and glass bottle with a place to hold a quill pen. The shopkeep told me that was India ink, so I moved on. Next was an ink in a large glass bottle with a glass stopper. He said this ink was imported from China, and was the cheapest of the 3 inks in quality--blue or black only. That left the little bottles--one of which you can see in the image above. The label says it's water-based ink imported from Italy. It came in Black, Blue, Red, Green and Purple (there may also have been a brown but I'm not sure). He said this ink was the best quality of the 3 and he used it with one of the quill pens when he was trying to stay in character.

I took a chance on on the purple ink, and you can see the bottle and the ink in the image above. So far I've written about a page with it and it seems well behaved. I'm not sure which brand it is, as my experience with Italian inks begins and ends with Visconti. Although based on the 1 ink I purchased, the purple is similar to Visconti purple.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• TheGreatRoe

• amberleadavis

• Ernst Bitterman

WOW! Thank you for the info. If I ever get over there; I will definitely go check out the store. The wax seals would be great to put on mail and send out.

The shopkeep told me that was India ink, so I moved on.

Isn't it wonderful that they knew there was a difference from one ink to another, though? We get so many lamentations here about ill-educated clerks that the contrary needs underlining (or perhaps surrounded by an elf-induced cloud of golden dust).

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Isn't it wonderful that they knew there was a difference from one ink to another, though? We get so many lamentations here about ill-educated clerks that the contrary needs underlining (or perhaps surrounded by an elf-induced cloud of golden dust).

I agree. I was impressed with what he did know about the inks, especially considering he's not a user as a general rule.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

It says "Ministry of Magic" around a large capital M.

• 4 months later...

Dale, thank you for sharing the purple with me. I've been using it for thank you notes to FPN supporters!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Dale, thank you for sharing the purple with me. I've been using it for thank you notes to FPN supporters!

Glad to hear it's getting some good use. ;)

I agree. I was impressed with what he did know about the inks, especially considering he's not a user as a general rule.

+1

Thank you for sharing your adventures at WW of HP. I like the 9 3/4 stamp.

Posted Image

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0213.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0212.jpg

Wow! I want those wax seals. I have one that I received as a present of one of the Hogwarts houses, but it doesn't have a nice wooden handle like that. I love the one with the Deathly Hallows.

• 3 months later...

I was searching for the seals and ink. Found some at Amazon but not the 9 3/4 one. Is that purple ink the same as Visconti? It's a lovely purple.

Posted Image

Wow! I want those wax seals. I have one that I received as a present of one of the Hogwarts houses, but it doesn't have a nice wooden handle like that. I love the one with the Deathly Hallows.

I got mine without the wooden handles, too. Those are handles from some other wax seals I already had.

I was searching for the seals and ink. Found some at Amazon but not the 9 3/4 one. Is that purple ink the same as Visconti? It's a lovely purple.

I don't know if it's Visconti ink or not. It is made in Italy, but there are some other possibilities besides Visconti.

Unfortunately the site for Wizarding World of Harry Potter does not sell the rubber stamps or ink.

Posted Image

I think it is more likely Rubinato than Visconti.