Inky T O D - Inks That Never Dry

amberleadavis

Have ever noticed that some inks NEVER seem to dry?

Years ago, I heard NT of Noodler's talking about vintage Skrip inks and how they had a lot of detergents. I will also concede that dish-soap takes longer to dry than water does here in the desert (my teenage son and I had just had a kitchen disagreement and proof session, but I digress). Anyway, I could be convinced that inks with more surfactants dry slower.

So, please show me your samples, or tell me about your experiences. I will be sure to post the pictures of the latest experiment once they are uploaded.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Tanzanite

• Arkanabar

• Buzz_130

On 10/24/14, I used a syringe and did this swirl with De Atramentis Sky Blue. DASB does by the way, dry quite nicely.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141024_154554.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141024_194853.jpg

Noodler's Regular Blue - which did also dry.

I did not take a picture on the first day when I did the first drops of Skrip Black from cartridges. FIVE DAYS LATER it was still wet.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141029_101930.jpg

13 days later

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141106_184307.jpg

I guess I'd have to be careful with the other variables; it's not just the ink. For example, I was taking notes in a meeting in my Midori Traveller, and I found that DC Supershow Blue made a perfect imprint on the heel of my hand from the staff meeting notes from the week before. I used the same pen and ink combination that week, and all of my scribbles on my very cheap Skillcraft notebook was incredibly absorbent and had no issues seconds after jotting down on that paper.

I haven't mustered the courage to bring in my blotter to work and meetings to absorb the extra ink!

My unscientific experience is that the highly saturated inks take longer to dry.

Buzz

This paper was even pretty absorbent.

I have had similar experiences with DC Supershow Blue.

Personally found three Diamine ink from my not so extensive collection:

Red Dragon

Oxblood

and not as bad as above, but Asa Blue need considerable time to dry. But I'm able to smudge Red Dragon or Oxblood even a week later, RD was even worst...

I remember that back when I had a bottle of Cobalt Blue, it seemed to take a long time to dry; I was used to Pelikan 4001 black and Waterman Havana. I wish I'd had the insight to dilute it back then. But I absolutely made no effort to see how long a drop would continue to smudge when left on paper. Even now, I am not, at least in part because I have nowhere to put such drops that they won't make several messes long before I can hope they'll dry.

I've noticed the same thing with DC SSB. Not necessarily wet, but it still smudges.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I have had some drying problems with some of the Noodlers eel inks, particularly the Eel Gruene Cactus.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

I did some tests awhile ago on Tomoe River paper since the surface is fairly hard and doesn't absorb quickly.

I still think it odd that Noodlers Bulletproof Black behaves reasonably fine but I have to watch Noodlers Heart of Darkness as it will smear even days later.

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

Interesting. Thank you!

My worst offenders for never drying, compared to my other inks, are the Wancher brand sold by Engeika.

The pictures of ink drops staying wet for days are just crazy, though!

Not a super slow drier, but the slowest ink I have is Noodlers Golden Brown. One can not write on the back of the page. It takes a full second sheet before it is dry enough to write on the back of the first sheet.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

"(my teenage son and I had just had a kitchen disagreement and proof session, but I digress)."

A teenage boy who knows what soap is? Not sure I did when I was that young ...

Anyway, I found that if I left Noodler's Dark Matter in a pen for a while it went into never-dry mode.

Edited by PDW

My worst offenders for never drying, compared to my other inks, are the Wancher brand sold by Engeika.

The pictures of ink drops staying wet for days are just crazy, though!

I accidentally let it touch something else (a clip) and the clip got stock. Thgen it got smoothsed against another paper... now both are wet.

A teenage boy who knows what soap is? Not sure I did when I was that young ...

Anyway, I found that if I left Noodler's Dark Matter in a pen for a while it went into never-dry mode.

He is quirky.

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd let you know that the paper is still sticky.