Esterbrook Brand Being Revived This December?

KBeezie

Absorbing read....

....Thanks

Fred

shoot all the Bluejays you want

If you can hit 'em

But

remember it's a sin

To Kill A Mockingbird

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• KBeezie

• OcalaFlGuy

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The good thing about the brand being "revived" is that there is no valid argument against FPN having an Esterbrook thread à la demise of Conway Stewart.

And with these layout changes, Esterbrook has even moved up on the FPN page!

Now, are they calling it a J pen because it has a J bar? ;)

Since the new one doesn't have one, I'd presume no. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

This "brand revival" has just solidified my desire for the vintage versions...sadly. I don't get why when a brand is revived, the most successful models or attributes of the original pens are ignored. Reinventing the wheel alienates an established customer base that would have been otherwise ready and willing to buy from you.

I need to get to a pen show though...all the Esties I find on eBay are either overpriced for what they are or they look like a decent deal and I know I'll lose out to one of you guys bidding on it, LOL.

Wait, some of you actually *want* one of these? There is no aspect of these new pens that draws from any previous Esterbrook. Someone bought the rights to the name and claims a heritage going back to 1858, by making a pen that resembles a 1970s Christmas ornament.

The guy who started this up obviously knows sweet ****** about the history of Esterbrook. Personally, the whole thing offends me and I wouldn't take one for free. Also, cos they ******.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Wait, some of you actually *want* one of these? There is no aspect of these new pens that draws from any previous Esterbrook. Someone bought the rights to the name and claims a heritage going back to 1858, by making a pen that resembles a 1970s Christmas ornament.

The guy who started this up obviously knows sweet F.A. about the history of Esterbrook. Personally, the whole thing offends me and I wouldn't take one for free. Also, cos they fugly.

+1 And I'm going to be even more offended if they are claiming that heritage while producing the pens overseas. They call it "America's Original Pen Company", they damn well better be making them in the US if they are going to stick with that slogan.

John L

I think we should hold out for the new Wearevers.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I heard a rumor on the interwebs that they are being made in West Germany by Mont-Blanc.

He-hee :-)

John L

The good thing about the brand being "revived" is that there is no valid argument against FPN having an Esterbrook thread à la demise of Conway Stewart.

And with these layout changes, Esterbrook has even moved up on the FPN page!

Conway Stewart Demise?

Not according to the website.

New Developments: I have acquired the rights to the trade name Conway Stewart brand for the USA. I intend to carry on the operation of the Conway Stewart brand beginning with 2015 production. The new Conway Stewart business plan will be a departure from the now overcrowded exaggerated-price, costly advertising, and limited edition model. There will be much more information coming in the near future about this.

For now, wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2015!

Emmanuel Caltagirone called "Manu"

Conway Stewart Demise?

Not according to the website.

Boy, and we thought this was a heated debate! I wish them well, I always thought the modern pens were too LE and too expensive, totally against what the "Pens for the Millions" attitude they used to have, but then I digress off the original topic at hand.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Boy, and we thought this was a heated debate! I wish them well, I always thought the modern pens were too LE and too expensive, totally against what the "Pens for the Millions" attitude they used to have, but then I digress off the original topic at hand.

That's kind of how I feel regarding the new Eversharp brand, their lowest end basic model is $200, but that design wasn't for that price range to begin with, plus it's a cartridge pen now. If the modern basic Skyline were under $100 that would be more reasonable in my opinion.

Far as New Esterbrook (sounds sorta like 'New Coke') goes, will see what happens when they actually push some models out for people to try, but far as company and vision goes, it's not looking good. Plus at $75 for the basic models they need to be constructed at least as well as the modern Conklin Glider acrylic pen I have (metal reinforced threading on both the section and barrel, with what appears to be good metal support inside of the section while still being somewhat a lighter pen for it's size, 'nib' on the conklin is... ok I guess, but I got a F-C Masuyama grind in it currently).

If their pens are going to be how I suspect them to be, the price point needs to drop down to something like $40 or so, puts it in competition with something in line of the Faber-Caastell or Monteverde offerings. But mainly for people who are approaching the brand without any expectations attached to the original esterbrook pens.

That's kind of how I feel regarding the new Eversharp brand, their lowest end basic model is $200, but that design wasn't for that price range to begin with, plus it's a cartridge pen now. If the modern basic Skyline were under $100 that would be more reasonable in my opinion.

Try $159.00. No one says these pen companies have to duplicate low-price pens, and I'm ok with a company taking the best of the past and making quality writing instruments. That is what is completely lacking in the new Esterbrooks (seemingly), and quite fulfilled in the W-E lineup. No cheapo pens? I don't have a problem with that - who in their right mind would willingly try to market another cheap fountain pen into the world these days?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Try $159.00. No one says these pen companies have to duplicate low-price pens, and I'm ok with a company taking the best of the past and making quality writing instruments. That is what is completely lacking in the new Esterbrooks (seemingly), and quite fulfilled in the W-E lineup. No cheapo pens? I don't have a problem with that - who in their right mind would willingly try to market another cheap fountain pen into the world these days?

I wasn't necessarily talking bout 'duplicating' the cheap price pens, but in regards to W-E, they do duplicate the design, but it's double the price I would expect, and it was 199 last time I checked (I'm still seeing $199 for the Classic Skyline, which appears to be a steel nib), especially considering I could get a full size fully restored Skyline from the 40s for under $100 which overall don't seem that much different other than being a lever filler. Just a personal opinion on the matter. But least W-E as it stands is trying to stay true to the brand's roots to some extent and not just taking the name and spinning off some random pen.

Also I'm not really arguing that Esterbrook should have a cheapie in the line up, just that if they're going to charge $75+, least make it seem like something that's worth $75+. So far what they showed just from a glance don't look any more than $40-ish in value.

Edited by KBeezie

...in regards to W-E, they do duplicate the design, but it's double the price I would expect, and it was 199 last time I checked (I'm still seeing $199 for the Classic Skyline, which appears to be a steel nib)...

Skyliner 50's start at $159. May not be a persons color choice or cap preference (or maybe it is) but it has the same nib.

I agree, though I wouldn't mind paying a premium price for a new Esterbrook, provided it is a premium product. I think the new W-E are a premium, well made product (disclaimer: I do sell them, but I also have one for personal use and I do like it). for someone who is not interested in a Lever filler (and let's face it, not everyone is), this is a reasonable option.

Edited by Brian Anderson
disclaimer

I wasn't necessarily talking bout 'duplicating' the cheap price pens, but in regards to W-E, they do duplicate the design, but it's double the price I would expect, and it was 199 last time I checked (I'm still seeing $199 for the Classic Skyline, which appears to be a steel nib), especially considering I could get a full size fully restored Skyline from the 40s for under $100 which overall don't seem that much different other than being a lever filler. Just a personal opinion on the matter. But least W-E as it stands is trying to stay true to the brand's roots to some extent and not just taking the name and spinning off some random pen.

Also I'm not really arguing that Esterbrook should have a cheapie in the line up, just that if they're going to charge $75+, least make it seem like something that's worth $75+. So far what they showed just from a glance don't look any more than $40-ish in value.

And those pens (Classic) have metal caps. The 50's collection has plastic caps, which would come closer to the bottom line you are looking for, and they *are* $159.00. The models with metal caps were *always* a step up. Be careful with your comparisons unless you've had time and experience with both vintage and the new models. Considering quality materials and a pen that has gone far towards honoring the look and feel of the past pens - while still updating many of them - they are priced within reason.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Skyliner 50's start at $159. May not be a persons color choice or cap preference (or maybe it is) but it has the same nib.

I agree, though I wouldn't mind paying a premium price for a new Esterbrook, provided it is a premium product. I think the new W-E are a premium, well made product (disclaimer: I do sell them, but I also have one for personal use and I do like it). for someone who is not interested in a Lever filler (and let's face it, not everyone is), this is a reasonable option.

Agreed, Esterbrook seems to be selling cheap pens at a premium, other companies like W-E are least matching the quality to the price.

And those pens (Classic) have metal caps. The 50's collection has plastic caps, which would come closer to the bottom line you are looking for, and they *are* $159.00. The models with metal caps were *always* a step up. Be careful with your comparisons unless you've had time and experience with both vintage and the new models. Considering quality materials and a pen that has gone far towards honoring the look and feel of the past pens - while still updating many of them - they are priced within reason.

Where do you put the '95 skyline in comparison? Also how much of a value are you placing on the metal cap?

Edited by KBeezie

Skyliner 50's have metal caps too. Just no ribbing.