Esterbrook Brand Being Revived This December?

KBeezie

I for one am excited to see what will be on that website on Dec. 1st. The placeholder that is there now is pretty much void of any actual content. I can't even make out what exactly it is on the one photo.

Who knows, maybe they'll bring out something truly worth while.

Meanwhile....maybe I will own or get to use a vintage Esti some time.

But I have a Parker 51 Special, so my life really could be a lot worse.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• KBeezie

• OcalaFlGuy

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I for one am excited to see what will be on that website on Dec. 1st. The placeholder that is there now is pretty much void of any actual content. I can't even make out what exactly it is on the one photo.

Who knows, maybe they'll bring out something truly worth while.

Meanwhile....maybe I will own or get to use a vintage Esti some time.

But I have a Parker 51 Special, so my life really could be a lot worse.

If all you want to do is use one, there is the loaner program you could try. Cause the Estie folks are great. That'll tell you if it's something you want to explore further.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

If all you want to do is use one, there is the loaner program you could try. Cause the Estie folks are great. That'll tell you if it's something you want to explore further.

Yes, I know about that. Thank you. It's likely that I will eventually try that.

Can they say "established 1858" on a company that's been defunct for thirty (forty?) years?

Why not, did Conway Stewart not do exactly that?

I fear this will be nothing more than a marketing ploy, but if they turn out some interesting screw in nibs, or some replacement jewels I will take a second look.

but if they turn out some interesting screw in nibs, or some replacement jewels I will take a second look.

I can't tell you specifically Why but I have to think replacement jewels are on the horizon.

3D printing. It's got "Estie jewel" written all over it.

It won't be long until someone With the equipment And the ability gets bored and curious enough to print some out.

Then Katie bar the jewel door.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank you all for your interest in our revival of the Esterbrook brand. We welcome you comments. Please stay tuned as our website will be live later this month.

Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC looks forward to launching the Esterbrook brand later this month. Please fee free to contact us with any of your questions or comments.

Robert Rosenberg

Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC

President

www.esterbrookpens.com

I've been giving this some more thought over the weekend and I think this is going to be a challenge for Harpen. The Esterbrook name has been out of the mainstream for awhile and will really only resonate with the type of people that frequent FPN. Someone like me, who owns a number of vintage Esties and loves everyone of them, has a certain set of expectations of what the new Esterbrook will offer. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I want to see something that evokes the classic Esterbrook looks, perhaps similar to what has been done with the revived Wahl-Eversharp. The new Esties don't have to be clones of the old Js, M2s, etc., but I'd like to see models that look like a natural continuation of the Esterbrook brand.

Another potential problem is price. It's easy to find good condition Esties for less than $30. Will the new Esterbrook be able to offer pens at this price point?

Finally, one of the great things about owning an Esterbrook is that they are easy to work on and customize with different nibs, etc. I hope that the new Esterbrook offers a similar type of product.

Oh, and it would be FANTASTIC to get a cartridge or converter that would fit a CX101.

Best of luck Robert, I really hope this revival and relaunch works. And I will definitely consider one.

Jeff

I am willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, though the first images seem a bit of a hole to dig back out of...

I wonder if this isn't a "marketing ploy" to put out a couple pens, draw some hits to a website or YouTube channel with the future intent of trying

to sell the "operation" to Yafa or some such as them.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You have to be a real penjunkie to buy into this. Some modern pens are tasteful, but most modern pens, in order to attract the people who will buy anything in a diminishing fountain pen market, are gaudy beyond all good taste. These are not an exception. You can follow the pen market all you want, and you can buy everything they produce if you want, but contrast this modern junk with the inexpensive but tasteful Esterbrook and other fountain pens made up to the early seventies. Esterbrook when it was Esterbrook was tasteful. Chrome Glitzmeisters are like fishing lures: they hook the fishermen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The pens shown are made with photoshop, and the website reminds me of something I made as a class project in about 97 or so. I am not really expecting anything from this.

Thank you all for your interest in our revival of the Esterbrook brand. We welcome you comments. Please stay tuned as our website will be live later this month.

Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC looks forward to launching the Esterbrook brand later this month. Please fee free to contact us with any of your questions or comments.

Robert Rosenberg

Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC

President

www.esterbrookpens.com

Dear Robert,

I there any chance you can show us some teasers of what's to come? I understand if you want to keep it all hush-hush for now. But then again and on the other hand, we are all here and curious now, also -I'd think- the people here are a big part of the audience that matters. Tell us the good news, Robert, and please tell us them sooner rather than later.

#holdingmybreathontheedgeofmyseat

Hi Everyone:

I've been shocked, intrigued and downright scared ever since I saw this announcement earlier today. As a long time collector and fan of Esterbrook, I'm very concerned about the people behind this new launch respecting the history and tradition of this great pen brand and creating a real bridge with it to modern pen technology.

I decided to do a search to see who registered the domain. The man is Robert Rosenberg of West Long Branch, NJ. PLEASE do not contact him YET.

I want to reach out to him and see who are the people behind this launch. My aim is to try and influence their product direction. I feel like I have a finger on the pulse of this and the incredible nostalgia associated with this pen brand. I also have some powerful ideas of what they could do that would make this tremendously successful.

I welcome your thoughts and ideas. Maybe we can collectively be a voice that they will hear. I hope this is the case. In a subsequent post when i feel the time is right I'll share my own vision or fantasy of what could be created. More soon!

Howard

One of my sources plopped a bag with 15 Esterbrooks in it on my pile last week. I'm good for a few weeks.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Understand, this is just my opinion and my opinion is not worth any more than anyone else's opinion, maybe even worth less. Now, Esterbrook did not go out of business because they made poor pens. In my opinion, at least through the fifties, they made great pens. They did not go out of business because they charged too much for their pens. But, go out of business they did. The brand was sold to one or two different corporations that produced disgraceful objects with the name Esterbrook on them.

Now there is a new entity that is going to make Esterbrook pens. Wonderful! I hope they are successful beyond their wildest dreams and that the new Esterbrook fountain pens are admired and desired by the whole world of pen using people.

But I doubt that I will ever own one. I don't think there is a fountain pen manufacturer anywhere in the world producing a fountain pen today that can compare favorably with an old Esterbrook J in quality of materials, in quality of workmanship, and in price.

I hope that I have to eat my words and have trouble buying enough ink to keep all of my new Esterbrook fountain pens filled, but . . .

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

One of my sources plopped a bag with 15 Esterbrooks in it on my pile last week. I'm good for a few weeks.

Was that the bag from the Ohio Pen Show? It was a great deal, if so, and there is a gorgeous deep red J in there.

Was that the bag from the Ohio Pen Show? It was a great deal, if so, and there is a gorgeous deep red J in there.

Nope. Esterbrooks are everywhere. I have heard about the bag in Ohio. Someone should have grabbed it-less than a ten-spot a pen!

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.