The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Durn Bs Cranberry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ellenspn

ellenspn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:52

I'll never going to get that  darn BS Cranberry out of my pink preppy :angry: Havn't taken the feed apart yet, but thinking about it.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

Sponsored Content

#2 vossad01

vossad01

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:01

You might consider trying a bleach dilution.  I have used it to counter BSB, but not in a pen.  I have used bleach to disinfect a pen or two before.  Disclaimer of risk applies.

The feed to a Preppy is attached to the nib and is little more than a straight rod.  All the fins that one might think the feed are actually called the collector.  If you figure out how to remove that thing please post it as I am interested.

(This is written assuming the complaint here is staining and not ink caught in the collector.  I have had my own tribulations with Preppies concerning getting the last of the ink out of the collector, but that will happen with any brand.)

#3 ellenspn

ellenspn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:07

Complaint is not staining. It's getting the *&^*&^( out of the collector. I expect staining :(

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

#4 vossad01

vossad01

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:37

Ahh, I had the same problem with Waterman Serenity Blue.  My short term solution was to fill with more Waterman Serenity Blue  :).  When I finish the converter I will be addressing the issue again.

#5 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 14:26

Have you tried a pen flush, either homemade or packaged (JB's, Goulet's)?

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#6 ellenspn

ellenspn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 19:24

Yup I have the Goulet pen flush and I plan on hitting it once again with some.  I've let it soak overnight in tap water.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

#7 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 20:12

Let it soak overnight in the pen flush.  Just a flush can push the flush through without letting it get everything.  I've had pens take several days to clean.

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:28

I took a toothbrush to mine. I love Cape Cod Cranberry, but recently I have started using Diamine Cerise because it is less difficult to clean.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#9 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 14:40

Cleaning the feeds of Preppies is tough no matter the ink, I've found. That said, I plan to try my sample of BS Cranberry in a Jinhao 159, where I can easily pull the nib/feed for cleaning. :)

#10 ellenspn

ellenspn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 18:56

Well live and learn.  I'm down to only the staining after soaking overnight in the Goulet pen wash.  I don't think I'll be buying any more preppies.  Anyway right now I am stuck on collecting Lamy's for some reason.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

#11 Agge

Agge

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:12

Ellenspn:

I had a preppy that a little lamy turquoise had gotten stuck in the collector I had to leave it under water for a week before it actually dissolved.

I would put the collector in a sample vial with penwash/bleach solution for at leas several days.

#12 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:06

Ellenspn:

I had a preppy that a little lamy turquoise had gotten stuck in the collector I had to leave it under water for a week before it actually dissolved.

I would put the collector in a sample vial with penwash/bleach solution for at leas several days.

I use sample vials, too.  It's easy to get the pen to stand up in them - especially if you have the vial holder Goulets sells - and you can use just a dribble of pen flush.

Try to have liquid over the entire nib, and even the bottom edge of the section, but not over the top of the section.  You don't want liquid to seep into the body of the pen where it can cause mischief.

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Sponsored Content

|