Letting Go - Vintage Pens, Catharsis And An Fp Free Future...

Cryptos

:D I think I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself now. Had to take a few lumps first, though it would be nice if there was some way of insulating new members - especially those new to fountain pens - from the heartless voracity out there.

And auctions are minefields all by themselves. If you don't get caught by the Dave Hesters* of this world you run afoul of the deep-pocketed snipers.

*for those who have never seen Storage Wars - where people bid on abandoned storage lockers - Dave Hester is one of those truly obnoxious people who will bid on an auction that he has no interest in winning just to make other people pay more. How mean-spirited is that?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• OcalaFlGuy

• jdllizard

• Riayain

Just wanted to come back and say that I took my first leap into the dangerous world of vintage pens... and emerged victorious. Splurged on a restored Parker 45 on ebay and it came in impeccable condition. Wrote well, looked and behaved exactly like the description stated, and didn't cost me an arm or a leg. :)

But I have heard the horror stories regarding this sort of thing. And your case further proves them. I can definitely understand wanting to leave the world of vintage pens (and maybe all FPs?) after the horrible experiences you've had. There should definitely be some sort of system in place to protect new members foraying into the world of secondhand pens, but alas, there isn't. Too many unregulated channels to sell this stuff. :(

Speaking of Dave Hesters, I've seen a lot of them recently. Pens starting off at $0.99 suddenly become $30 in 1 bid - not normal behavior from anyone, really. People who do that make me so mad, urgh.

Threads like this are why I taught myself to rebuild my own pens. Mostly Esties, but I've done a couple of button fill Parker DuoFolds as well, and a lever fill Moore. I did it myself mostly because I have 23 years of working with small electronics and mechanical instruments for a biotech company, and I didn't want to pay someone else to rebuild pens since I knew/hoped my vintage collection was going to wind up being rather large.

I am 43 but unable to work any longer due to kidney failure, so I needed a hobby to take up my free time. I found fountain pens and fountain pen repair.

John L

Similar story here. I got a nice Parker 51 for a good price, and found after only a short time that it wouldn't take ink. I took it to the local "reputable" repair guy. I paid $30 to have it made right, and I thought he had. A month later, it's not taking ink again. That's when I decided to learn how to fix them myself...and that's when the madness set in. It's a fun thing to do! I just finished my first vac repair, and have a second set for today.

This is all stunning, all these issues with pens and restorers. To me pens are gadgets, and I like to fool with gadgets. The Esterbrooks are sufficiently simple that I have made most work. I don't generally like really old pens, though. The Vacumatic has never seemed attractive to me. An aunt had a bowl full of inoperative Vacs and other thirties pens, so I was warned as a child. If a repair person ever swithched out parts on me in a sneaky, thieving way, I would publish the name, address and phone number. That is theft, and it needs to be rewarded appropriately. If you let it slide, you are setting other people up to be robbed.

I cannot manage to regard the Parker 51 aerometric as vintage, because my first good pen was a 51 aero, bought brand new in the Air Force BX in 1970. Right out of college. That dates me. The pen has never faltered. 44 years. 31 years out of a Montblanc 144. I still have about thirty or so 51 aeros that work, from yard sales, a couple from ebay. The only time any had the hood off was to convert them to Kullock fantasy pens, but one ebay pen came in pieces and took me months to get it back together.

I write little any more. Just in my meds log, so I don't forget when I took something. I don't use vintage pens for that, because the nibs aren't fine enough. My dying declaration will be that my 51 isn't vintage. I am looking for another job so I will have some reason to write stuff. Not giving up.

Want me to send you something that works? I have a couple of Cross metal pens, a Century black and an ATX that the postal people probably can't crush and crack. No use for them here, medium nibs. They have converters. The black Century I have had since 1980. The heck with the shipping cost, but don't send that 51 demi back, please. I don't need more stuff to fix. I am in a pen reduction mode, and I think I can finally say that I don't want to buy or otherwise acquire any more pens. I have about 200, anyway. I do wonder why I can be so foolish. There's one born every minute.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pajaro, that is a kind offer and I hope you will not be offended if I decline it at this time. The hood for Demi would be nice. It's sitting in parts on my desk waiting to be sent to a new owner! :)

Hello Cryptos,

Well, I wish you well in your future pen endeavors - whatever they may be. The smoothest ball-point I have ever encountered is the Uni-Ball Jetstream; the smoothest roller-ball is the Uni-Ball Vision Elite and the smoothest felt-tip I've tried are the Pentel Sign pens and the Platinum Preppy eyedropper conversions that I use regularly. I know fountain pens are not for everyone; however, I cannot help but think had you bought a new Lamy Studio instead of all those poorly restored vintage artifacts, you'd be hanging around here as a member and a regular user. :D

As we discussed earlier, I'm wary of vintage pens; NO mechanical device lasts longer than 40-60 years before it starts giving you constant grief, (cars go much, much quicker - don't ask me how I know). :D Even with pens, parts wear out and become hard to find, threading wears down, etc., etc. I do not know what your future plans are, but I wish you well.

I'll leave you with an old Roman Catholic blessing: May God bless, guide and keep you in this life, so that you may have eternal joy with Him in the next. :)

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

David, you're still going to need to write from time to time and it should Still be enjoyable to do so.

Perhaps find yourself a pleasingly stylish Parker BP (and the secret weapon here) load that puppy with a Itoya Gel refill. It IMO, is about as

close to a FP as you can get with perfect dependability.

The Itoya Gels don't last as long as a regular BP refill, and, just like a FP, they're good for exactly 1 drop onto their point, but they write, really,

Really nice.

Original series Parker Jotter-Itoya Blue Gel refill

Jotteriffic.jpg

Find yourself a Parker 75 BP in Lapis. :drool:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I've been trying to buy a Parker 51 from the bay for months. There are thousands of them out there yet all seem to be out of my price range. I don't get it, how can there be so many on the market yet the prices remain so high. Even the ones that need repair seem to bring top dollar.

John L

You would most likely be better off asking one of the known sellers on here (like Penfisher, of FarmersMums) and telling them what your budget is. That's what I did (on advice from others) and I haven't regretted it. Of course, that's not going to cut it if your hoping to go all sumgai on the 'Bay.

David, you're still going to need to write from time to time and it should Still be enjoyable to do so.

Hey Bruce, I do have other FPs :) in fact I was just using a Reform 1745 (courtesy of Kidde, and loaded with Diamine Sargasso Sea) to take notes at a meeting with a biostatistician. Great little pen, and my only piston filler until I eventually, maybe, get around to a Pel 140.

BPs? If I have to I use a Parker Classic, a Jotter, or my Sheaffer Prelude in blue lacquer!

Or a pencil... I have a few of those. They never run out. :D

This is the second thread you posted about your frustration with vintage pens. Furthermore this thread is

Letting Go - Vintage Pens, Catharsis And An Fp Free Future...

and yet some of your posts suggest this isn't even close to the case. That you have had successful purchases, that you are not actually giving up FP or even really giving up totally on vintage pens. I can't be the only one who is wondering what exactly are you up to. Are you ditching fountain pens, just giving up on vintage pens or just venting steam?

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

When I started the thread it was strongly in my mind to jettison all of the FPs I have. As the thread grew and people contributed interesting ideas and various encouragements I realised that I was being a little unrealistic with this goal. "Letting go" has a specific meaning to dharma followers. To give away pens, even those with minor issues (and what vintage pen doesn't have any!) is cathartic.

Successful purchases? They're only successful if they satisfy all the criteria for cost, availability, fun to use, beautiful to look at, and so on. These are my criteria and entirely subjective of course.

Two pens with major issues - cosmetic or otherwise - went to random claimants. First come, first served.

The others went to selected members:

• The Estie J blue streaker went to BruceInOcala because he 1) is an aficionado of Js, 2) has raised awareness and enthusiasm for the 'blue streaker', 3) has offered me more advice and patience than I ever deserved.
  • The Parker 51 Vac is going to Gweimer so he can practice his repair skills and spend some time enjoying it. This will benefit not just him but any of us in the future who may need to find a competent restorer.
  • A Skyline, which is fully restored, goes to Kidde for his unfailing support and enthusiasm when I was thrashing about as a completely stupid newcomer (I'm a bit more experienced now, but only marginally less stupid!). He often joked that he had no Eversharp pens in his collections. It is my pleasure to rectify that omission.

That leaves two Skylines, both of which are also fully and professionally restored, that I don't know what to do with right now. I think one may go and I may keep one as an exemplar, though Kidde has the best and flexiest of the three.

I wish I could afford to give more away, and no doubt I will in the future when I am able to acquire more pens*. I realised I enjoyed using FPs too much to abandon them completely. I'm sorry for those who may feel as if they have missed out, but as the donor I am free to choose recipients on my own personal criteria, and I don't think I should be held to account for this, or for the fact that my thoughts are often fluid around certain ideas.

I do hope that this has cleared up any small misunderstandings here?

*I'm waiting on a part for a Parker 51 Demi that will be gifted to someone who has never had the experience of the 51 line, as it was gifted to me under similar circumstances by another FPN member.

Understood. It was hard not to be curious as this thread seems to make many twists and turns. My own messages to you early on via PM were dropped and this thread seems to have gone here and there so I really was just curious.

It is nice that you sent those pens out into the world. Sounds like they are doing to some good homes. I enjoy giving out pens as well on occasion, esp. to students.

To be sure I wasn't asking you for an accounting of the pens just wondering if you were really giving up FP as it certainly didn't seem to be headed that way. I've had my own stormy relationships with vintage pens and fountain pens in general. The disappointments and frustrations are many, but the joys are too.

best of luck!

Your pens, your life, do what you want with both. As a relative newb to both fountain pens and FPN, I am glad to hear you're not giving up on FPs altogether though. As a newcomer, it would be disheartening to see people throwing in the towel and getting out just as I'm getting interested.

Edited by jdllizard

John L

My own messages to you early on via PM were dropped...

Ah ha! I'm so sorry. I did mention earlier in the thread that I had deleted some messages accidentally and couldn't remember who they were from. Sorry about that, it really was just clumsy fingers on the keyboard. As it was I couldn't get back to you about your request, and in the end there were others ahead in the queue. So it goes sometimes.

Occasionally I am my own worst keeper. Recently I withdrew from a PIF on the pretense of not being a suitable candidate. Truth of it was that I noticed someone else who had entered who I thought was far more appropriate as a recipient. So I shortened the odds for them. It was a nice PIF too. This community has given me a lot already. I try to give back but I am of limited means. I hope that doesn't disappoint too many people. Everyone's time will come eventually no doubt! :)

Edited by Cryptos

This community has given me a lot already. I try to give back but I am of limited means. I hope that doesn't disappoint too many people. Everyone's time will come eventually no doubt! :)

It seems I missed a few entries on this thread. I any case, in my limited time on this board I would say that I have gotten a lot here too. Not so much actual pens (though I have purchased a couple of pens from member's here) but folks here have been really forthcoming with good advice and been generous sharing their knowledge and experience.

Hat's off to everyone here, Cryptos included, for sure. I had a few bumps setting in and likely ruffled a feather or too but I certainly know much more than I did when I arrived.

Meanwhile I have some great pens to work with and know better how to maintain them and how they function. I never would have dreamed a 1942 Parker Vac stub would be one of my everyday pens before coming here and learning that a vac filler is nothing to fear and Bo Bo Olson hooked me up with one of my holy grail pens.

A pretty nice place you got here fountain pen nerds.

:P

As a new member who does not yet have 30 days or 30 posts, I hope it's okay to comment.

I'm so sorry it has come to this for you. I'm not very well versed on the models you mentioned. Would you be opposed to my asking if there was one of the pens left that you wish to part with? I am not picky at all about which-- just looking to expand my fountain pen horizons. Of course, I'm willing to cover the shipping costs. I have a few boxes of vintage dip pen nibs and would certainly put together a tin full of them for you if you'd like as a gesture of goodwill!

If my time/posting requirements preclude this, please accept my apologies and gentle correction would be appreciated.

John

EDIT: I see the OP has found homes for the pens and has decided not to give up on them completely. So glad to hear it. Please disregard my post, except the offer of a few dip pen nibs for this gentleman if he still wishes. They're nothing special, but I do believe in paying it forward.

Edited by pharmboycu

As the recipient of the Esterbrook LJ, I wanted to publicly thank you Cryptos. The pen arrived in today's mail. It was flushed and immediately filled with Susemai/BlackStone Blue Cashmere.

Watch for this ink once it becomes generally available. That should be soon. It is a powdered ink that is fountain pen friendly, and comes in a 4 gram pouch/sachet and can be mixed as you like from wet to dry. Happy writing.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain