Letting Go - Vintage Pens, Catharsis And An Fp Free Future...

Cryptos

Thank you David, 'preciate the sentiment.

I bought a 'J' in Copper a while back. It wrote very well but for some reason I didn't feel it settle into my hand properly. Hard to explain. It may be that I was just too inexperienced and hadn't adapted to the change in grip. Until this year the last time I used a fountain pen was about 30 years ago. Anyway, impulsively I gifted it away on the PIF thread. Made someone happy I guess. Not really heard much about it. Well, I got the hankering on for another one and, being a fool, I went on eBay and won a nice blue J for about $40 with 9314-relief nib. It needed a new sac. I had that done and now the lever is playing up. As I said to Bruce backchannel, supplies for repairs are not locally available here so DIY on such pens is prohibitive, and I am... well, not exactly poor but certainly financially challenged (along with a fair multitude of other shortcomings).

The long and short of it is that I would have liked to have a nice J with a stub nib, but I don't want to go through all the hassle again. Shipping here, there and everywhere else makes the whole thing an exercise in teeth-gnashing, to say nothing of some of the people I have had to deal with.

Same with the Parker Vacumatic. Seller was adamant that it was restored. Cost me about $45 to buy - pretty good eh? Now I know why. I see the same model sold by reputable restorers for more than twice the price. See, I was a fool, thought I could get a bargain. They're only user grade after all.

And the symphony and LJ were sold by con artists, and I fell for it. Lesson learned - but oh so slowly.

Just looked at my purchase history. The last purchase was the blue J back in the beginning of August. I have been too scared to look at anything since. I have tried to sell some pens to offset injudicious acquisitions, and while I got a fair price for one pen I got nothing but absurd offers for others. There are some quite predatory people here on FPN. Bit of a surprise that.

Anyway, I'll get rid of some of these things one way or another. You know I even offered one of them as a free parts pen to a well-known restorer and they didn't even have the decency to reply (even if only to decline).

It's hard to think the best of people under some of these circumstances, and I am quite a soft touch really despite my willingness to have a darned good whinge!

Edited by Cryptos

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• OcalaFlGuy

• jdllizard

• Riayain

Anyone have any sensible ideas about what to do with my Parker 51 Vac? It's been restored but due to a lack of informed instruction on my part the feed has been set so far forward* that it is easily visible while I write and seriously detracts from what is otherwise a wonderful writing experience for me. Bluntly, the pen is dead for me right now.

*apparently the feed can be set at different lengths. I did not know this. Why anyone would want it sticking out as much as this one does eludes my understanding too.

Further update: sad day for me. Parker 51 Vac is heading out. At least she will be in the hands of an enthusiast who will take care of her. And one Skyline is also heading out. That leaves two other Skylines which will go in the classifieds just as soon as I get around to it (kinda busy here this time of year at the University, even thought the kids have all gone now).

Slightly embarrassing request - :blush:

A member PMd me about this thread and I accidentally deleted the conversation. They contacted me again today to mention it and that got deleted too. I was trying to mark the PM as 'read' and both times hadn't noticed that I had clicked on 'delete' in the drop-down box thingy.

So, Kevin (sorry, cannot remember your FPN name - I'm getting old and forgetful too, so please be patient with me), could you PM me again so I can explain what happened with the pens mentioned in this thread?

Many thanks, and my apologies for my lack of keyboard skills.

Edited by Cryptos

Sigh, you should have bought a Pelikan 140.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

A P140 has crossed my mind a few times. Bit reluctant to shell out that kind of money on a single pen, even if it is from Mr Propas. Perhaps one day...

I am late onto this thread but have a question for the original poster. Are there no decent pen repairers/restorers where you live? If so, perhaps the cost of mailing a pen off for service would be more reasonable. if there are not any available, what a great opportunity for someone to learn the trade and provide the services needed by fountain pen users and collectors.

The frustration of buying vintage pens can be huge. Over the past 10 years, I have bought and sold several hundred pens, mostly vintage. My preference is to buy from recognized dealers who restored the pens themselves and have proven over time to be credible and honest in their description and grading of the pens they sell. There are a large number of such dealers and private parties that who meet the criteria and are well worth dealing with. I will note that it is rare when I buy from Ebay because of the number of sellers who simply do not know or understand fountain pens, over price and exaggerate condition. Many of the FPN members who regularly post and contribute to the forum are also great people to buy pens from. Yes, you may pay a bit of a premium for one of their pens - one that has been tuned and serviced to write properly. This is actually a bargain in the long run in that you will save the headache and expense of sending the pen back and forth for adjustments.

Selling vintage pens,or modern, for that matter, is also frustrating at times. Many buyers have unrealistic expectations, are inexperienced in the filling, use and maintenance of a vintage pen. They sometimes try to make adjustments themselves and, when unsuccessful, want to return the pen free of charge. Fountain pen performance can be very subjective. One person's wet flow is just perfect for another. Fine means one thing to one and something different to someone else. Tricky business - trying to keep buyer and seller on the same page.

One of the first vintage pens that I bought online was from a fellow who has since passed away. His stated business model was to sell quality vintage pens, that he himself had reworked, at reasonable and fair prices. His guarantee was that if the pen legitimately needed to be serviced within 90 days of sale, he would perform the repairs free of charge and would refund the postage to return the pen to him to do so. I asked him how he could afford to do that and he said that it motivated him to be very clear on condition and function before selling the pen. I happily bought a lot of pens from him over time.

It saddens me that the OP has given up on vintage pens and I wish I were closer to be able to help them purchase a couple of really good and cool pens. May the good pen fairy visit you soon and leave a nice usable vintage pen behind.

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Craig, thank you for that sentiment. There are no 'known' repairers in this country - at least last time I checked. There are one or two people who are having a go at it but have no reputation for it as far as I am aware.

My introduction to vintage fountain pens - via the enablers on this forum :) - has been a very steep learning curve indeed. Now I have been burned so many times by sellers (some really unscrupulous ones at that) that I am almost completely turned off ever going vintage again, beyond those I already have. What also leaves my jaw on the floor is restorers who know that I am sending stuff from a very long way away and who suggest that if there are any problems I should simply return the pens for adjustment. This is practically a guarantee that nothing will ever get returned simply due to the cost involved. It's a win win for the restorers in that case: get paid, don't have to worry about returns.

Edit: the return issue underpins me giving away some pens here. At least on a one way trip I only get stung for half the cost.

Edited by Cryptos

And of course it has the nasty old 2464 nib instead of the 9556 that I sent it out with

That's why I do my own pen-fixing. Even if I didn't do it myself, I'd just remove the nib unit when i send it out to the restorer. They can re-sack a pen without the nib in it.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

They can re-sack a pen without the nib in it.

At least with Esties, not really. Having a nib in the section before pulling it greatly decreases the chance of it collapsing in on itself.

Of course, most restorers probably have a pronged Estie nib in their box for just this case.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You know, I will say this about sending pens out.

I myself have had a very well known restorer switch a full gold wash P-51 clutch ring out with a plain one. I got it back, considered it a **it happens moment and still recommend him to others.

Off the top of my head I know of 2 Other pen people who have had parts lost or switched out by well known restorers.

It's perplexing to say the least. At least a couple of the instances I've heard of Weren't resolved as they should have been.

Heck, I'm just a little puppy restorer and I use modified fishing lure boxes to keep all the parts of the pen I'm working on together.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Alrighty then. It's Monday, I've just been round to the Post Shop and picked up half a dozen boxes. Packages should be in the post in the next couple of days! Individual PMs will be sent once this happens.

The great pen repair men in England.

Peter Twydle...son of the Great Arthur Twydle; the Frank Dubal of GB, a renown teacher of pen repair. . Peter has two or three pen books out.

Jim Marshall & Laurence Oldfield, who have written the great book, Pen Repair. I have the second edition....a great book better than Frank Dubal's, some day I'll use it :blush: :rolleyes: . Arthur Twydle, the great teacher; I believe their teacher, was to help them with the book, but died. It is dedicated to Arthur.

Good user grade 140's can be had on German Ebay with luck, €50...more than likely €70-90.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Good user grade 140's can be had on German Ebay with luck, €50...more than likely €70-90.

Somewhat academic as I have no idea what constitutes a 'good user grade' for a Pelikan 140.

Cryptos

I can certainly understand your frustration. Being both a collector and a regular user can be a scourge if you wish to do both at the same time. This has happened to me more than once with classic cars: great expectations, much expense only to be let down by people who have been less than honest in their dealings.

I suppose I'm still a bit starry-eyed over the vintage pen thing and have been stung a few times on EBay. Having said that I only tend to buy job lots of parts pens or restorers on EBay so I don't have high expectations. There have been some real jewels among the junk. The rest I use to teach myself repairs and restoration so I won't be at the mercy of the wolves out there. The FPN members have been very supportive when I've asked for information and advice and most importantly, non-judgemental. I've been on classic car forums (fora?) where I've been bluntly told that I really shouldn't be attempting things I clearly don't understand. I find this strange as I wouldn't be asking how to do it if I already knew.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your posts. Perhaps there are some modern FPs that will do the job if you decide that enough is not really enough yet.

Mark

'Never assume conspiracy when mere incompetence will explain things'.

Oh I've still got two or three hanging around that I do use. With all the hoohah over eBay and so on though I haven't even really looked at anything for over 3 months. Now that I have blown this years Xmas budget on sending out the waifs and strays in need of better care than I can give them, it is unlikely that I wll be in the market for anything for quite some time... unless I win the lottery... or actually bought a lottery ticket...

The Skylines were hard to let go as they are works of art (IMHO). Just too pretty to risk everyday use for me.

The Vacumatic, well, she was the most 'right' pen I had used to date - and she may well be coming back. The P51 will, with a bit of luck, get its feed reset, give the recipient a chance to hone some skills and eventually find its way back to me (I hope) as it is another favourite writer.

Unscrupulous sellers I can understand, it's a cut-throat world after all.

I would add and advise that restorers who are doing work for overseas clients should take extra care that what gets sent out is unlikely to need to be returned. Both the P51 and the Estie J fit this category. Fixed but needing adjustment. Return costs prohibiting it happening.

I picked up my Mabie Todd Blackbird last night. She's been filled with Salix ink for a couple of days and is now a hugely enjoyable pen to use. I think it is a combination of better skills on my part (practising with a dip pen) and the drier ink suiting the pen better (she is near 85 years old).

So it's not all doom and gloom. I don't have buyer's regret, I mostly have 'having to deal with idiots' regret.

All I will say is kindness and patience both get rewarded. Sharks eventually wind up in the belly of sharks, for they swim in treacherous waters. And as my momma says "Time wounds all heels!" Just as I start to correct her she smiles, she said what she meant.

While I can't fathom the Holiday season arriving in summer, y'all are on the wrong side of this rock, I'm sure yours will be a good one. You just can't show the better parts of human nature without seeing them for yourself.

Paul

BTW You haven't been inflaming passions like normal (or I missed it). Provoke thought and conversation, it is what you do best my friend.

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

"The Vacumatic, well, she was the most 'right' pen I had used to date - and she may well be coming back." -Cryptos.

Vacumatics are where I got stung. I've always used fountain pens, skipped the whole ball point business. My fountain pens have all been lever-fills - Esterbrooks and Scheaffer Balance lever-fillers mostly. Vacumatics struck me later in life. I fell in love with them just a few years before my first retirement. I was still drawing a good pay check, etcetera, and I felt I could spend a bit more for a pen. I found a "reputable" pen dealer that I'll call Joe. Joe didn't have any Vacumatics, but he knew where to get them. I bought a green Vac with an extra-fine nib that had been fully restored. That pen spent nearly a year in transit getting it right. In the process it turned blue and acquired a medium nib. I have it today and it has never filled with ink. Before the Vacumatic crazy left me, I acquired five. All five are beautiful and non-functioning. I learned my lesson. I didn't deal with anyone but the best even though it meant that I paid top dollar. All but that first one were purchased from "highly respected" pen restorers who have page after page of testimonials on their websites and at least two of them are not only "experts" but are called upon to decide all things fountain pens. When I bought my Vacs I did not know about The Fountain Pen Network. I wish I had. I would have gladly paid Bruce or FarmBoy to have had a go at my Vacumatics.

I am willing to bet that my sad song can be topped by several if not many FPN members. How do we prevent members like Cryptos from being ripped off by the plain crooks claiming to be restorers and the genuine restorers who have shops that are so overworked that they can't or don't supervise the work? There must be a way to protect our members.

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.