My Latest Buy - Solid Gold Pfm Masterpiece!

noj321

Hello All!

I'm like a pig in the proverbial!

I have managed to buy a 9k solid gold PFM!!

It has been my dream to own one of these very rare pens - especially in addition to my Autograph set and full demonstrator!

I have only 2 more to reach my goal of 28 - 5 models in 5 colours plus the demo, auto & masterpiece!

Next I guess I'll have to do it by country and then nib size!!

I've also seen, on this very site, a maroon Autograph - so maybe there's one in each colour to get too! This collecting lark does not get any easier, or cheaper!!

Hope you like this.

Noj

post-4976-0-43848100-1415289201.jpg

post-4976-0-28400600-1415289517.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• noj321

• simon_uk

• crescentfiller

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonderful find, and no doubt an expensive pen !! That's two I've seen surface so far. For general info there was reputed to be 100 of these made by Sheaffer UK with the overlay done by S.J.Rose (?) iirc. Only 2 to go? Does that include the burgundy Autograph? I've seen a photo of one of those, maybe a prototype rather than ever sold though.

Amazing. Very nice find.
Congrats.

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

Congratulations, a superb acquisition. I have the 5 models in 5 colours, but I don't see myself stretching to get one of these. Already spent way more on this hobby than I ever anticipated I would.

Congratulations Noj, an exceptional and - as i expect- expensive acquisition !

I have the complete range of the snorkel family, inclusive the demonstrator and the 14k Masterpiece.

I also have a nice collection of PFM's, but unfortunately neither the demonstrator nor the Masterpiece...

Maybe one day…...

Enjoy this beauty !

Francis

Looking good.

Enjoy that beauty

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thank you all for looking at the pictures! I've replaced the nib with a beautiful broad stub oblique that is as smooth as silk and can even make my writing look acceptable. I'm just a little fearful of taking it out into the big bad world, but heyho it's insured and I always said I'd use my pens so this one will enter the world of commerce on occasions. I took out a NOS Green III last week. It was such a joy to be the first person to ever write with it that it more than compensated for any reduction in its value. Don't just look at your beautiful pens, or keep them hidden in a safe... get them out and use them!!

Noj

As a quick follow-up I have had the hallmarks professionally checked and they are for S J Rose 1962 which confirms the authenticity of the pen as the of the 100 authorised by Sheaffer in that year. There is still a question as to whether all 100 authorised were manufactured and sold, or if some were possibly unsold and had the gold stripped and re-used. Also when produced they were for the rich to use, not as a collectors 'asset' as many of the current high end limited editions have become. So maybe more will come to light 'in the wild' - good hunting, folks!!

• 4 months later...

Congratulations on buying such a super pen. You do realise that your photo shows that the PFM Masterpiece exists in at least 2 forms. Yours is plain gold but the other type is barleycorn. So I suppose that if you really wanted to complete the collection you would have to obtain both versions! My version is shown here.
Best wishes

Simon

post-3942-0-61392100-1427723406_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on buying such a super pen. You do realise that your photo shows that the PFM Masterpiece exists in at least 2 forms. Yours is plain gold but the other type is barleycorn. So I suppose that if you really wanted to complete the collection you would have to obtain both versions! My version is shown here.

Best wishes

Simon

Adding another carrot on the stick!

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Thank you Simon - Maybe in another 10-15 years, I might be able to afford one if I save hard enough! ....and of course Autographs not in black! ...and full sets from each manufacturing country, and, I believe, there are two patterns to the engraving of V caps! It just goes on and on! I started concentrating on PFMs to try to limit my choice - no success there then!! Still love the PFM though, and so enjoy using at least one every day.

Simon, In the absolute best interests of Pendom and your own personal writing and collecting experience, I urge you to send that Barleycorn PFM to me at once so that I can test it for you before you begin to write with it. I would not want anything unexpected to happen to you while you are writing or looking at it. Therefore, I will inspect and test it thoroughly and get it back to you when I am done, say in about twenty years or so. Maybe thirty years. I can't be sure. PM me for the mailing address.

Regards,

Daniel

PS That is one amazingly beautiful pen!

Gorgeous. Congratulations. I hate you. (haha).

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

to Daniel (Crescentfiller) and your excellent suggestion that I send you the Barleycorn PFM for testing, let me think about that (for twenty or thirty years).

and to NOJ321 - when you complete your collection of all the PFMs I will cooperate with your taking a photo of the entire range including your plain gold and my barleycorn PFMs It will be a fantastic one off opportunity as I suspect that never before have all models of the PFM been gathered in one place. Given what you said about the range though I think it might be a few years off. Perhaps we ought to put the call out to others to supply the missing models for the photo?

The other two pens in my photo earlier in this thread are (I think) an Imperial 797 fluted GP c 1976 (in the middle) and a Triumph Imperial 2797 c 1995 at the top: so that's three very similar pens from Sheaffer spanning 1962 to 1995. The trouble with pens is that although I always aim not to be a completest (as in that direction lies penury) I can't help but put together mini collections. This month alone I have added a pencil and pen to the two Sheaffers mentioned above. Now to get the missing ones and then...

By the way I am quite happy to show the PFM to anyone passing Oxford.

Best wishes

Simon