Morbus Curiositas

Dear FPN Friends,

As some of you might know I am a Franophile and a fan of J Herbin...

The Herbin inks have lovely colours... Most of them shade...

and well....

Poussiere De Lune, Terre de Feu, Ambre De Birmanie Eclat de Saphire.... They have the most beautiful and poetic names in the world....

I bought for bottles of them last week.... Here I compare 3 very nice brown(ish) inks

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Herbin%203%20browns%20compared/Herbin3browns001FPN_zps40ed38af.jpg

Merde, j'ai soif que est ce que je bois? (sorry French is a bit rusty) (Blast I am thirsty what will I drink)

je prend trois boissons.... (I take 3 drinks)

• (lie de) Thé
  • Une tasse du Café (des Iles)
  • et encore... du Cacoa (de Bresil).....

Mmmmm C'est bon!!! :puddle: (if you do not "parler Francais" use your imagination :) )

Behaviour

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Herbin%203%20browns%20compared/Herbin3browns003FPN_zps92bb3a66.jpg

.J Herbin inks tend to be a bit dry....

I tried the inks in several Lamy Pens.....And they work dry dependent on what ink you use in what pen

I also tried a De Atramentis Document ink in the same pens.... they were very smooth.

The Cacoa de Brésil s dry but especially the Café des Iles is very dry

Funnily the J Herbin Éclat de Saphir in an Lamy M nib was smoother than the Cafè des Iles.B nib

Dry inks? A Problem??

No they do not have to be a problem.

Yes I found the Café des Iles too dry in my Lamy pens... Also the Cacoa is dry but not too dry as it worke out nice in my Sheaffer Targa F nib....

But as a fountain pen lover you probably know about those gusher pens wich spred more inks than the niagara falls drops water....

Well this ink is the perfect way to tame your gusher pens in the most lovely way with the most beautiful of colours

A further direct comparison

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Herbin%203%20browns%20compared/Herbin3browns002fpn_zps881124cf.jpg

Wouldn't you agree....

stunnning colours..... you want t0 :) drink from the bottles

Too Conclude

J Herbin inks are getting a sound reputation with Fountain Pen Lovers.... they are also getting well known now... Fortunately I live in Europe so it is quite easy to obtain them...

But to help all others in obtaining these inks

USA Goulet Pens has a most excellent range of inks for sale including J. Herbin of Course http://www.gouletpens.com

EU I personally like La Couronne De Comte a lot.... The Shop name is as beautiful as the Herbin Inks names.... Les Encres du Comte :happyberet: ...

And anyone who has experience wiht LCC will admit that their service is excellent and Dnnis and Rik are very passionate and friendly....

but ...

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Herbin%203%20browns%20compared/fouris3_zps07136e9c.jpg

Should I say more?...Just have a look http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl

My Findings...

Well J'aime la douce France et j'aime J. Herbin

All right some inks are more dry..... But have a look at tehse colours.... LOVELY :happyberet: Just use the dry inks for your probematic gusher pen... It will cure it and use the others for your normal pens

If you want to se these inks "live".... leave your adress in the PM I will send you a potcard.... Tu adore ces encres aussi...You will love these inks too :wub:

Regards Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• Trom

• VivienR

• lgsoltek

Peter - moi aussi, j'aime la France et suis un francophone mais je dois avouer que Cafe des Iles m'a decu et je me suis debarasse d'une bouteille.

And now in english so that everone can understand. I like most of J. Herbin inks. However I remember Dafe des Iles as one of worst inks I've tried - it was dry and not really interesting. After only five seconds of pause, the ink showed problems with start.

Anyway Lie de The is one of my all time favourites and I haven't tried Cocoa. Yet. It'll change.

And I do agree their names are really great. How is it possible that everything sounds better in french?

Peter - moi aussi, j'aime la France et suis un francophone mais je dois avouer que Cafe des Iles m'a decu et je me suis debarasse d'une bouteille.

And now in english so that everone can understand. I like most of J. Herbin inks. However I remember Dafe des Iles as one of worst inks I've tried - it was dry and not really interesting. After only five seconds of pause, the ink showed problems with start.

Anyway Lie de The is one of my all time favourites and I haven't tried Cocoa. Yet. It'll change.

And I do agree their names are really great. How is it possible that everything sounds better in french?

Wow your French nis much better than mine....

Unfortunately i had the same experiencwe with the Café

By the way I send your red Blue to dr ansen and will call him this afternoon... Pleas leave me your adress in the PM.... I am receiveing some nice inks and will send yu a sample and maybe dr Jansen will do so too

regards

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Merci de cette comparaison ! Moi je n'ai que Lie de thé et je l'aime beaucoup. Les deux autres ne me disent pas grand-chose...

OK this seems to be becoming a French thread... :lticaptd: I have only Lie de thé and I like it, but the other two don't appeal to me at all. It seems J. Herbin has yet another brown, Terre de Feu?

Merci de cette comparaison ! Moi je n'ai que Lie de thé et je l'aime beaucoup. Les deux autres ne me disent pas grand-chose...

OK this seems to be becoming a French thread... :lticaptd: I have only Lie de thé and I like it, but the other two don't appeal to me at all. It seems J. Herbin has yet another brown, Terre de Feu?

I have reviewed the Terre de Feu,,,, Is earth brown a bit like you see in some French wine estates

see link

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270246-j-herbin-terre-de-feu/

I have also made a comparson of De Atramentis wine ink Merlot and Herbin terre de Feu

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270999-allied-forces-j-herbin-de-atramentis-terre-de-feu-merlot/

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Allied%20Forces%20terre%20de%20Feu%20Da%20Merlot/AlliedforcesteredefuemerlotOdetojoyFPN_zpsae94fbcb.jpg

I realy love both inks....

J Has the soil of the Wine estate....

De Atramentis has the produce of that wine estat :D :puddle:

Not my cup of tea, I just don't like brown, but nice review!

Sorry to hear so I lve browns...

What are the colours you like trom?

Regards

Peter

In fa

Hmm, can't say I like Terre de Feu very much... The colour is too pinky for my taste.

In real it looks like reddis brownish not pinky at all...

If you leave me your adress in the PMI will send you a postcard wiht these inks.

Regards,

Peter

Sorry to hear so I lve browns...

What are the colours you like trom?

Regards

Peter

I only use blue, purple, green and dark/bordeaux red in my pens. You can have my brown inks if you want.

Ver

I only use blue, purple, green and dark/bordeaux red in my pens. You can have my brown inks if you want.

Very cool would you like a burgund truly made of burgundy wine pinot noir

These are all wonderful to look at. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, for me is Terre de Fue, even if I not like browns probably will buy a bottle to play with it a bit. Its more cheaper then GvFC Hazelnut, and its close enough me for match it, not mention its lot cheaper.

Well, for me is Terre de Fue, even if I not like browns probably will buy a bottle to play with it a bit. Its more cheaper then GvFC Hazelnut, and its close enough me for match it, not mention its lot cheaper.

Beware that Terre de Feu has a bit of a burgundy tone, I don't feel it as a brown but as some pale wine color. It is supposed to resemble the red South American earth but it's not so much on the red brown side to me.

Dear, Trom....

Dank je wel.... Thanks a lot :) :)

I will have a Merlot or Burgundy Ink coming up soon.... Make sure that you drink the wine and write wiht the ink....

I will be in Holland i December and January (holidays).... Would like to meet you and invite you on a drink.... Vlaardingen and Breda are not that wide away

Regars Peter

Lie de The was one that I couldn't make up my mind about whether I liked it or not enough to get a full bottle.

Cafe des Iles was a great color, but the ink tended to have sediment in the bottle of the sample vial.

Have not tried the other two, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the Terre de Feu because of the color -- too red for me, I suspect.

Thanks for the comparison.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I am not even going to pretend to try to write in French. I've had exactly 2 adult-ed classes in Conversational French about a decade ago, and my grammar probably stinks. And I'm not sure where the book on conjugating French verbs is in my house....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Beware that Terre de Feu has a bit of a burgundy tone, I don't feel it as a brown but as some pale wine color. It is supposed to resemble the red South American earth but it's not so much on the red brown side to me.

Thank you for noticing me. Well, maybe that's is little additional tone, that I need...

Beautiful reviews! I'm thinking of a brown and I might pick up a J. Herbin now. Have you tried Anchor Brown? It looks interesting to me, but I wonder if it's too pink.

Thanks for the reviews. I like all three inks here, but as you already mentioned, Café des Îles runs on the dry side.

Beautiful reviews! I'm thinking of a brown and I might pick up a J. Herbin now. Have you tried Anchor Brown? It looks interesting to me, but I wonder if it's too pink.

If you mean Rouille d'Ancre, it's definitely a pinkish ink -- salmon is the best way to describe it. Understated, somewhat evocative of vintage appeal, and beautiful... but that's a subjective evaluation.

It turns a beautifully dark, slightly browner salmon in a very wet nib (like a flexer/dip), though.