Name A Fountain Pen That As Soon As You Used You Said "wow"

mannyman0729

Out of the box; a Pilot Custom 823 F, a Twsbi Vac 700 (Bock) EF, and an Edison Collier EF.

A couple others after they'd been worked over by a good nib tweaker.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• gweimer1

• mannyman0729

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of the box: one Lamy 2000 F nib, a Waterman Carene Gunmetal factory stub nib, and some of my Pilots, particularly the F nib on one of my 823's.

A Montblanc 1950s 146. The pen was such an ideal size and weight for me and the grip section was such a good fit, that it was the first time a pen felt like an extension of my hand. And then that nib! Just the right smoothness and flexiness - I had never (and still have never) tried anything like it!

I am very new to FPs and i thought i had an ok selection already, i decided to buy the Pilot VP even though it was more expensive at the store i went to but as soon as i inked it up my Jaw droped and it was just amazingly smooth. So what when made you have rhis typw of reaction?

Definitely the Lamy Al-Star. I was surprised. I hated the clip etc until I wrote with the pen. Now I even like the clip.

TWSBI 580 for me. My first fountain pen was a parker jotter, then a lamy safari, but they're not my gateway drugs to the fountain pen world. TWSBI 580 was really the pen that made me want to collect.

An ST Dupont Neo-Classique with an EF nib.

I had never really like EF nibs and planned on swapping the nib on my new Neo-Classique with another FPN member that had a nice stub nib. I DO love stubs. But then I tried the pen and the deal was immediately off. I'm still not a fan of EF nibs but this one is definitely a "WOW!"

http://www.fototime.com/0BEE23C66840591/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/271C7F67CEE2C37/medium800.jpg

The first pen that made me "WOW" was a 1998 Parker Sonnet Premier Red Lacquer 18 Karat Gold Nib. I Discovered it in my parents office when I was little and I'm Still using it now, wonderful quality and very generous nib size.

How about a picture?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I had that reaction to a Nakaya Neo broad nib and the first time I wrote with a Pelikan M1000 medium nib.

My most WOW from a nib was with my pre-Swan Mabie-Todd. It has an italic nib which feels like painting with a brush. My second most WOW was probably the Ripple Red 52 with a fine, very flexible nib.

My Pilot Heritage 91 with Soft-Fine nib and rhodium trim: I had been hunting for the best flex pen that I could buy on the market today. My main pleasure is drawing and I was hoping to find a good pen to replace a sable brush. Persons from the FPN chimed in about this particular nib. Already owning a Soft-Fine Namiki Falcon I thought this Pilot Heritage 91 would write in the same way and I was wrong. Thanks to the FPN I really found a winner! Excellent, excellent, excellent...

I just restored a 1920´s Lady Duofold? and the pen is a flexmonster... so much so that I´m afraid to damage the nib because I´m too hamfisted to control it. :(

I just wish I had the talent to use it properly.

ken

Edited by loudkenny

A Yard-o-led Grand Viceroy F.

How something that big and heavy can write with such balance and silky feel, I'll never understand. It defies the laws of physics.

Pretty much all of the pens I have decided to keep gave me the wow factor in some way. You know it's good when you're grinning as you write, and you keep lifting the pen off the paper and looking at it, like "how the heck are you doing that!?"

But the very first "wow" I experienced was when I swapped the fine nib on my charcoal Lamy Safari for a 1.1 italic. It was smooth and delicious, but more importantly, all of a sudden my writing was pretty for the very first time in my life. I couldn't believe, nor at the time explain, what was happening as pen hit paper and created these fancy looking letters. It was magic.

Sadly I am now well-versed and it takes a lot more to wow me these days ~ still chasing that wow, though. That's the name of this game.

Edited by Betweenthelines

Hm. First "wow" for me was the Pilot Prera. That little bugger is smooth. Next was the Pilot Elite 95S—smoothest yet. Latest is the Pelikan M605. Wunnerful.

My first "Wow!" experience was from my Pelikan M800 Tortoise in broad. It was one of my first pens over $100. The size and the quality of the pen was amazing. The first time I wrote with it, I thought that it was unlike anything I've written with before.

First, the Lamy 2000 which is by and away a favorite of mine. Up until that point, I'd been using steel-nib Lamys, which write well enough, and a handful of Chinese pens of varying quality.

The 2000 was my 22nd birthday gift to myself, and I bought it in the morning before a 4-hour class. Wrote like a dream, and encouraged me to write bigger. That is, big enough to actually see the letters..

Another was the MB 22 I picked up last week. I'd say it compares well with the 2000 nib and brought me back to the moment I first used it. More of the wow factor was on styling (I like the aesthetics of slim pens, but I have huge hands), but cartridge-fillers and super-light pens don't impress me as much.

Oh--and a salesperson at Silberman-Brown here in Seattle let me play around with a TWSBI 580. That was a huge surprise for me.

Edited by takkun

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir