Name A Fountain Pen That As Soon As You Used You Said "wow"

mannyman0729

A 1929 Sheaffer Oversize Balance with a needlepoint flex nib. I had no idea a nib that a fine could be that smooth and that my hand writing could look that awesome.

DSC03898.JPG

It's the one on the right althought that Tibaldi in the picture is a close second.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• gweimer1

• mannyman0729

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A no-longer-in-business Underwood Piccadilly Eco, blue with a 14K medium nib (Bock?). Laid a gorgeous, effortless line my very first use, and re-launched my obsession with fountain pens, dormant since the 1960's when I only owned several school Sheaffers and a lone gifted Cross broad nib, 14K gold plate, which NEVER wrote smoothly. I was too ignorant to follow up on nib care and finally just gave it away.

The first pen that really made me go wow was a mid-1960s Parker 45 with a 14K medium nib, that I found in a small antiques mall a couple of summers ago.

Also:

One of my Parker 51s -- the one I think (pretty nearly convinced when put next to a black 51 and a burgundy 51 Special, and reinforced by putting it next to the burgundy 51 I got last week) is a Plummer -- most of my vintage Parkers are F nibs, but I think this one is a Medium.

My first Pelican, a 1990s era 400. It was the most expensive pen I've ever bought, but worth every dime I paid for it.

A lovely little Morrison ringtop with a gold-filled filigree overlay. Juicy does not begin to describe this nib (which might actually be a broad). The last time I had it in rotation it was filled with Diamine Emerald (an *excellent* decision on my part, I might add).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Montblanc 24 OM. The instant that nib touched the paper I was blown away. Haven't looked at modern pens since.

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

Another pen that made me go "Wow" is my Sheaffer/Classic pens CP4 Washington with a luscious stub nib.

http://www.fototime.com/9A1D07351BE7C1E/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2A8829D397088EF/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/829583F3F0D689D/large.jpg

Edited by jar

Hmmm.

The Hero 616 was a shockingly wonderful experience. Decent ink capacity, small size, cheap, and such a stupidly smooth nib! I was really surprised at the price to performance ratio. My other "wow" moment came with a Franklin Christoph 02 with a broad nib. I was surprised at the smoothness of the nib and the perfect balance of the pen.

Most of my "wow" moments actually came from cheap pens that performed much better than expected.

That's usually a comment I have for the "cheapies". I just purchased a Jinhao with a hooded nib (looks just like a lamy) for $1.99 and all I could think was, "why do I purchase the expensive ones?" Well, I know why but none the less....................

Bexley Cappuccino

The pen made from teakwood by a Californian penmaster

Esterbrook Transitional J #2314 Broad stub

Jinhao Mother-of-Pearl

Snapshot_20141107.JPG

I just bought a TWSBI 580 USA, not a real expensive FP, but this little beauty gave me the wow experience. Bought fine, medium and 1.1 nibs with it and just love writing with this FP.

I don't think wow factor has to equate to high dollar factor!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Hundreds of pens that made me say "Wow!" but to choose just one my Cobalt Blue Jim Gaston Sheaffer Legacy 2.

http://www.fototime.com/AFA07DA8FC70570/large.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous!

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

Oh, so hard to choose just one.

But two pens from different ends of the age and cost spectrum. A CS206 with a huge broad stub (rarely uninked) and a modern CS100 (Simpole cap band) with a broad italic nib.

And many other pens that are also fabulous writers that I won't sell. Any that don't do it for me get passed on to someone who will appreciate them.

The most wow-raising pen I have used is a Delta Stantuffo. It belongs to a friend, but he allowed me to use it to write a letter. This pen has everything going for it. It is a beautiful, substantial Italian celluloid. Lighter than its size suggests and perfectly balanced when uncapped. It is an instant starter and keeps up with my fasted signature. 10 out of 10 on the wow scale, 11 out of 10 on the price though.

I fell in love with the Visconti Homo Sapiens design the moment I saw it.

Now I have the bronze and I want the two other limited editions.

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

Platinum 3776 Sai followed closely by Pel M205 with honorable mention to Sailor 1911.

The first which comes to mind was a modern Onoto Magna Writer LE,which I have reviewed on FPN. It was rather too smooth on anything but textured paper, and I had it modified into a Broad Stub, by Oxonian, just to get a bit of control and feedback which I need for extended writing sessions, as well as nice line-width variation.

I also have a Sheaffer Legacy like the one pictured earlier, but minr has an Emerald Green/Gold finish rather than Blue, and another super-smooth Broad Stub, also by Oxonian.

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)