Name A Fountain Pen That As Soon As You Used You Said "wow"

mannyman0729

I am very new to FPs and i thought i had an ok selection already, i decided to buy the Pilot VP even though it was more expensive at the store i went to but as soon as i inked it up my Jaw droped and it was just amazingly smooth. So what when made you have rhis typw of reaction?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• gweimer1

• mannyman0729

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Pelikan 805. Considering all I went through to get such a pen, I had unrealistically high expectations. It exceeded them. I have never felt that way about a pen before (Guns, yes, but first time for a pen. Sig Sauer and Browning know how to flutter my heart.), but I plan/demand to again as I have a 605 on the way.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

A Pilot Metropolitan was the first pen that got an unqualified "wow" out of me. It was the first pen that really felt really smooth *and* started up right away *and* balanced nice. I was beginning to wonder if my expectations were completely out of line with reality.

Since then, I've had the same reaction from an EF VP, a Scriptorium medium nib (and then a broad nib, and then a fine nib), a Pendleton broad butter-line stub on a TWSBI 580, a Franklin-Christoph 02 Intrinsic medium that I asked them to make wetter than usual, a Kara's Kustoms Ink (fine nib), and a Goulet nib installed on an Ahab.

Most of my recent acquisitions cause this reaction, which is probably partly me learning my tastes better, along with a better appreciation for sweet spots, feather touches, and inks, and purchasing pens that align with me and/or communicating my needs more vocally. I would never have asked for a wetter nib a year ago; now it's a pretty regular request. (And I buy a *lot* more of my pens from people who tweak the nibs, or will check 'em over if asked.)

Pilot E95 med. I used other words than "wow", but like I said in another thread, it's the smoothest thing I've ever written with.

My Montblanc Heritage 1912. It has a nice "soft" nib and writes with little effort. It has excellent balance and amazing fit and finish. It has been my everyday writer for several weeks and it will probably be #1 in the rotation for some time to come.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

M800 broad stub. To be fair, I was probably already smitten with the Tortoiseshell. :P

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Platinum 3776 with music nib.

And, whenever i use my old Waterman that I learned to write with i am pleased. That pen is about 80 years old.

A Danish Parker Duofold just after Ron Zorn restored it and I had the oppertunity to write with it.

The first pen that made me "WOW" was a 1998 Parker Sonnet Premier Red Lacquer 18 Karat Gold Nib. I Discovered it in my parents office when I was little and I'm Still using it now, wonderful quality and very generous nib size.

The big, fat Pelikan M 1000. There was no "wow". I said, " delicious ".

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My first pen purchased and first time using any founain pen: M Pilot Plumix.

Fast forward with much more FP experience and some expectations on smoothness, the TWSBI 580 really wowed me. It had a nib by LahLahLaw so I cannot comment on the stock nib, but I am still in awe. Wow!

Hundreds of pens that made me say "Wow!" but to choose just one my Cobalt Blue Jim Gaston Sheaffer Legacy 2.

http://www.fototime.com/AFA07DA8FC70570/large.jpg

Edited by jar

Loads but the one that flashed into my mind when reading your question was my TWSBI Vac 700.

A smooth, fine nail that never misbehaves.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/vac_700_ancient_copper_fpn.jpg

Hundreds of pens that made me say "Wow!" but to choose just one my Cobalt Blue Jim Gaston Sheaffer Legacy 2.

That is a gorgeous looking pen!

From a price vs. performance POV, the Faber-Castell Basic Black. $40 and smooth as glass even in the F nib.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

1948 Parker 51 Aerometric in Dove Gray. It was and still is the smoothest nib I have ever used. I have carried it for several years, and it is my daily go-to. Same about my Sailor 1911 Large with F nib, which has the smoothest EF nib I have ever seen or written with, and my Pilot Custom 742 with FA nib. Also my Skyline with F flexy nib.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

late 80s/early 90s Pelikan M400 with the semi-flex nib.

Sailor Naginata Togi.

Sheaffer's Inlaid Broad on an Imperial VIII