Postal Book Group

ypsilanti

I posted this on FPG last weekend. It's just occurred to me to post it here as well!

I recently learned about postal book groups through one of my favorite podcasts. If you are interested in doing this, I will coordinate the groups. Here’s how it works…

You buy a really good book and a notebook. (Or just grab one of those notebooks you’ve got stacked in the closet.) Use the notebook to record your thoughts, questions, ponderings about the book, then send your book & notebook to the next person in your group. As you send yours, a book & notebook pair is on its way to you from another group member. You read the book that is sent to you, read the thoughts of those who came before, add your own to the notebook, ship to the next person.

Shipping dates are two months apart. Six people per group. At the end of the year, your book and notebook are returned to you and you can read everyone’s thoughts, questions, ponderings about the book you chose.

What kind of books? Choose a book that would appeal to a general audience. Fiction, memoir, narrative nonfiction. A good story, well told, in less than 350 pages. Our book choices should remain secret until they are received and unwrapped. Like presents.

If this sounds like something you’d enjoy, use this link to sign-up:

The first groups will ship their books on December 15th. The deadline to sign-up for this round is November 10th. I'll coordinate groups and contact everyone shortly thereafter. Right now, we've got people signed up for a group in the US and one in the UK.

It’s a one-year commitment to read a book every two months, jot your thoughts, mail it off. What do you think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ypsilanti

• HildyZ

• panna

• Doulton

This sounds quite interesting. I can't access the form right now since I'm using an old phone, but I will definitely sign up as soon as I can.

"When in doubt, write."

-- Bangalore, India

Can people from countries other than UK and US take part?

If there are enough people in your area that want to participate -- yes, of course! Right now there are only people in the US and UK signed-up.

Edited by ypsilanti

Where have you been all my life! This sounds like a FANTASTIC idea!

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

We need a few more people!

Right now there are seven in the US. Two or three more people and we can do two smaller groups.

There are only two people in the UK signed up. Are there two or three more out there??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest! We've got a group in motion. If more people want to do this, though, I'm happy to coordinate another group.

Another option for you: check out GoodReads. I know there are people doing postal book groups there.

• 2 weeks later...

My book is in the mail for Philadelphia. Off we go!

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

• 2 weeks later...

What an excellent idea. I have missed the deadline and am in the UK. Please keep me in mind if this runs again.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

I would love to take part if you do this again; I am in the USA.

By the way, if anyone wants to "Friend" me on Good Reads, I am "Doulton" there.

"Tea cleared my head and left me with no misapprehensions".

The Duke of Wellington

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow-- this is a GREAT idea! I wish I'd found this before the deadline. Please keep me in the loop if/when this starts up again!

Please include me if this begins again! I skimmed the post and ran to get a ~350 page book and notebook, only to realize it is closed :(

Please add me to the future participant waiting list. I love the idea and read 10-15 books a month, so this is a pace I can live with :)

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

I am in the UK and would be interested in being a part of a group here. Where do I sign up?

:)

There were others in the UK that wanted to do this, but not enough for a group. Check out the thread on FPG and see if you can gather four or five people and make it happen.

I know there are postal book groups on GoodReads, too. You can always start one. :-)