Best Fountain Pen Under $100 Aud?

RyanM

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for another Fountain Pen to add to my collection.

I currently own a Lamy Al-Star, as well as two Parker IM Premiums, but I would like another to add to my collection.

I am really looking under the $100 price range, but anything just over would be fine too.

What do you guys think??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parnesh

• RyanM

• SujiCorp12345

• ProfMS

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep an eye out to see if massdrop do the Lamy 2000 again. For US$105 + shipping , is it one heck of a pen. Also have a look at Pilot 74, 91 an 92.

how about an old TD/snorkel ? You'll have a number of options in that price range. Look at peyton street pens (no afil.)

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

Pen Chalet has the Pelikan M205 for $97.50.... No affiliation (but I bought a very nice red one)

Hello RyanM,

Look into a Lamy Studio with or without the rubberized grip section, (your choice - but if you have sweaty hands, consider the brushed stainless steel version with the rubberized grip), the Studio is a fantastic pen and a solid daily writer, (the street price is $71 for the brushed steel; $79 for the enameled and $159 for the Palladium Series with a solid gold nib). Carlo's recommendation for a Pelikan M205 is also a good choice if your hands are average size or smaller.

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Time to start thinking vintage! You already have a good recommendation for the TD/Snorkel above. For less than $45 you can dip your toes into the waters of vintage with either the Esterbrook J or Parker 45. Both are simple to disassemble, have spare parts for purchase, are reliable writers, and have a very dedicated following. Although I enjoy my Parker 45s, I'm finding more use in my Easterbrook Js. I have quite a few different nib options with the Esties.

Then you'll want to step up to the Parker "51", PFM, Parker 75, etc...

Buy a restored one for cheap, and you'll avoid the common worry about having a "used" pen.

Buzz

Hello RyanM,

Look into a Lamy Studio with or without the rubberized grip section, (your choice - but if you have sweaty hands, consider the brushed stainless steel version with the rubberized grip), the Studio is a fantastic pen and a solid daily writer, (the street price is $71 for the brushed steel; $79 for the enameled and $159 for the Palladium Series with a solid gold nib). Carlo's recommendation for a Pelikan M205 is also a good choice if your hands are average size or smaller.

Best regards,

Chris

I have had the Lamy studio in brushed stainless steel for a little over a week now and think it's a fantastic pen, totally worth the price of about 45€ including a converter (sold separately) that I got it for. though it may be a slightly boring choice if you already have an AL star since the nib is exactly the same.

I do recommend it.

+1 for the TWSBI 580 or the TWSBI Vac 700

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Gama Forever Fountain Pen with JoWo # 6 (# 35) nib. Eye dropper filled. Price: $ 35 + $ 3 international shipping. Bought from the Fountain Pen Revolution.

www.fountainpenrevolution.com/gamapens.html

It's an incredible pen. Well made. Writes and feels like a pen that would cost 5 times as much.

Ask Kevin to inspect the nib and flow and put some silicon grease wherever appropriate before shipping the pen to you. Mine has perfect flow and doesn't skip.

Sailor (1911 or Sapporo) or Platinum Century 3776 They all are 14k and very good writer but please note that Japanese nibs are almost one size thinner than the European nibs including Pilot pens. If you like M nib in Lamy you should go for Japanese B nib.

It seems like a lot of people love TWSBI. If I were in the market for a pen in that price range I would probably look into the twsbi vac 700. I have never used one but they seem awesome.

Also you might want to check out Monteverde. They make some really beautiful pens and manage to keep their prices low. I have an Artista crystal that I love.

If you can find a Lamy 2000 for that price get it! I paid 200 for mine locally and I, although I only a college student, think it was worth it.

The pilot metro and Lamy safari are staples for a reason. They are both great in my opinion.

If you want real cheap I would go with Noodlers. I have an Ahab and Konrad and my girlfriend has a nib creeper and they all work flawlessy. They take some tweaking, but really only if you want flex imo.