Pilot Blue-Black Or Sailor Jentle Blue-Black?

Kevan

I was recently gifted a Pilot pen with a Soft Fine Medium nib, and it came with a regular ol' Namiki/Pilot black cartridge. I decided to use it instead of using one of my bottled inks (or inking yet another pen with Kon Peki). I hardly ever use black inks and I usually just toss the cartridges in a drawer, so I thought I'd give it a go.

At first I didn't like it. It was VERY lubricated and the SFM nib drew a line that's wider than I'm used to, but I was determined to use the cartridge so I could fill it with something else. Over time, I began to like it. I got used to the wetness. When the cartridge was empty, I wanted something in the blue-black family. I picked Noodlers Navy because I love the color, even though -- like most Noodlers inks I've used -- the performance is hit or miss.

Well, it was a miss. The ink transformed the lovely soft nib into something ordinary, there wasn't as much line variation or personality, it wasn't as lubricated as the Pilot black was, and the shading in the Navy didn't come out like it does with a dip pen. So I dumped it back in the bottle and for now, I'm using the pen with vintage Sheaffer blue-black. The performance and lubrication is similar to the Pilot black, but the color leaves a little to be desired. It's a little...wimpy?

I have Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, but that ink has a personality disorder and only seems to be a true blue-black if you use it in a broad/stub nib on Tomoe River paper...otherwise it's a greyish blue. That's fine, but I want something bolder. And my beloved bottle of Tsuki-yo has gone missing. I'd use that in a heartbeat, but I can't find it right now. :blush:

So now I'm trying to decide between Sailor Jentle Blue-Black and Pilot's version. I can tell by the reviews that Sailor is darker, more toward a navy blue while Pilot is more of a blue. I do like the performance of Sailor Jentle inks so I don't think there will be any problems there.

But is there anyone here who's tried both that likes one over the other? Or tried one of the two and could vouch for the color's boldness or performance?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kevan

• Davis19942003

• Kuhataparunks

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be honest, I was excited to see "pilot" and "blue black" in the same title.

After posting this mini-review, I am more compelled to just buy a bottle of this ink; after all, it's only $10 shipped on eBay to the US!

Though I do hope the cartridge and bottle formulations are the same.

I only see this ink ideal for truly Extra Fine nibs. In Fine or M nibs, it can have quite a washed-out look, though the shading can look quite nice.

Also, terribly sorry for the poor lighting. Maybe tomorrow I'll post an updated one.

post-115039-0-61873600-1414830565_thumb.jpg

Oh that looks awesome in that EF nib. It's so cheap I may end up getting both, or a pack of cartridges for the Pilot and the bottle for the Sailor. I just loved the performance of the Pilot black over time (a testament to USING something that you initially dislike to see if your opinion changes). It was bliss in the SFM nib. Then putting the Noodlers in there was like night and day. Dryer flow, made the nib write like a stiff fine...it was serviceable but just not a good match for the pen.

Hello Kevan,

I have always been a big fan of blue-black inks; they're my favorite. :D I have both, Sailor Jentle b/b and Pilot b/b - and I prefer the Pilot - it feels a little silkier coming out the pen. The Sailor has a nice color, but is a bit on the dry, grainy side.

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I would recommend trying Sailor Sei-boku blue black pigment ink. It's my everyday ink now. Not only is it water resistant, it also gives nice shading when used in a wet pen as well. As it is pigment ink, it may clog your pen so you may need to flush your pen from time to time and the ink is a bit expensive. But trust me, it's worth it. The ink never fails me.

I have only used Pilot blue before so I can't give any comment on the Pilot blue black ink.

Oh that looks awesome in that EF nib. It's so cheap I may end up getting both, or a pack of cartridges for the Pilot and the bottle for the Sailor. ... Then putting the Noodlers in there was like night and day. Dryer flow, made the nib write like a stiff fine...it was serviceable but just not a good match for the pen.

It costs about the same $/ounce with cartridge or a bottle. And you sound exactly like I did; despite all the hype, Noodler's just wasn't for me. It just felt like my pen was saying "please, get this stuff out of me!" Well thanks... Call it fate, but this has made me reconsider to get a bottle of this nice stuff :) take care, best of luck!

I haven't got the Sailor, but I can say the Pilot is a very nice blue-black, and a very well behaved ink. It's one of the most reliable inks I have; I can put it in pretty much any pen, and it will Just Work.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

My two cents – I have used the sailor blue black and find it to be extremely well behaved and the color that I really appreciate.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I would recommend trying Sailor Sei-boku blue black pigment ink. It's my everyday ink now. Not only is it water resistant, it also gives nice shading when used in a wet pen as well. As it is pigment ink, it may clog your pen so you may need to flush your pen from time to time and the ink is a bit expensive. But trust me, it's worth it. The ink never fails me.

I've looked at that but the pigment part puts me off a bit, because of maintenance issues. The expense isn't much of an issue if it's a great ink (like the Iroshizuku line) but how often do you flush your pen when it's loaded with the Seiboku?

Before using Pilot Blue-Black, Sailor blue-black was my favourite. Now Pilot Blue-Black is my go-to ink, quick drying, very easy to clean, and very water-resistant.

English is not my mother tongue, please excuse me.

I have both Sailor Jentle Blue-Black and Pilot Blue-Black. No question that I prefer the Pilot. The Sailor writes nicely, but it has a greenish / teal tinge that I don't care for. Probably will give it another chance here soon, but for now the Pilot wins hands down.

色即是空,空即是色 (心經

I've looked at that but the pigment part puts me off a bit, because of maintenance issues. The expense isn't much of an issue if it's a great ink (like the Iroshizuku line) but how often do you flush your pen when it's loaded with the Seiboku?

I flush my pen after using one cartridge of ink (usually once a week). I use the ink for my school work. When I have a lot to write down, I can use a cartridge of ink in a week. The pigment never cause clogging to me.

Here is a writing sample for your reference

post-107417-0-76798600-1414931445_thumb.jpg

If you don't like Shin Kai, don't get Pilot Blue Black, they are pretty close, according to reviews/comparisons. In wet nibs they might be different, though. I think you are more inclined to Sailor.

They both have impeccable behaviour.

I found Pilot's Blue Black to be quite saturated and punchy on the page whereas Sailor's Blue Black is a lot more subdued / vintage in look.

Pilot's Blue Black is quite hard to come by in the UK but Sailor's isn't. That would tip the scales in Sailor's favour for me but dare I suggest you buy a bottle of each ?

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pilot_blue_black_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_sailor_blue_black_swatch.jpg

I prefer my Sailor Jentle b-b. One of my favourite b-bs of all time. My Pilot b-b- is too blue, not enough black. Both write nicely as re wetness but I find the Jentle even better here.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)