Need Vacumatic Help

Hobbitgate

Hi

I hope that these pictures attached come out clearly this is the first time I've tried to upload here. I've got two old vacumatic's...one a larger one and the other a smaller size. The larger one is missing the jewel on top, the smaller one all in tact. I'm trying to get to know some information on them and what might be a fair value for them "as is" They have not been restored but the nibs are in quite good condition. both were made in Canada

Thanks for your advice and help

post-106948-0-23133100-1414812251_thumb.jpg

post-106948-0-65025300-1414812385_thumb.jpg

post-106948-0-74161900-1414812434_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hobbitgate

• Apothic

• ralfstc

• estie1948

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful pens and well worth restoring, in my opinion. However, as to their honest market value at this time, I have no idea. Sorry.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hi

Can you measure both pens capped? Widths of cap band? Close up shots to nib always help too.

The top photo is hard to tell. Date code? The Vacumatic had many "smaller sized" models. Is the cap band plain without pattern? If so, probably Sub Deb with a clip swap. The sub Deb wouldn't have a Blue Diamond on the clip. If the pattern is Chevron then probably Junior Debutante. At the end of the day, I'd need more info.

Second one. Again, more info would help. Do you see a date code? At first glance looks like a '37 or '38 Major or even possibly a (may get fuzzy here) long major. Slender Maxima is possible if the pen has a wider cap band at 6mm. A major's cap band is different being 4mm wide.

Before we can go any further on value, we'll want to nail down important information. The difference between a Major and a true Slender Maxima is big $$$. But when you look at them side by side, they can seem identical. When initially released in 1937, the Major line was a bit shorter than the Slender Maxima was. However, soon after until about '42, the two measured the same length.

(A Senior Maxima, again could be possible. The girth of the pen is a dead give away. That doesn't come across from photos, but image distortion is always possible)

Edited by pen-deco

www.pen-deco.com

Thanks for your help. I'll try to answer the questions you've given as best as I can. As well added a few different photo's that may be helpful I hope

The engraving is as follows:

Made in Canada, black Parker Vacumatic Pat. 318982 The number 6 is stamped along side

There is no colour in the diamond on the clip

The band cap is 4mm wide

The length of the capped pen is 116mm from end to end...uncapped it is 105cm from tip of nib to rounded end

The nib is two tone with just Parker vacumatic reg.TM stamped on it...no date

the width of the cap at it's widest point is 12 mm

the width of the pen at it's widest is 10mm

post-106948-0-31654600-1414856444_thumb.jpg

post-106948-0-71425700-1414856519_thumb.jpg

post-106948-0-28354200-1414856604_thumb.jpg

That's one of them, right? Could you do the same for the other, with closer pictures of the nib and the feed behind the nib?

Thanks!

On the larger Vacumatic the engraving is as follows:

Made in Canada, black Parker Vacumatic Pat. 318982 The number 8 is stamped along side

The band cap is 4mm wide

The length of the capped pen is 116mm from end to end...uncapped (missing the top jewel) it is 134cm from tip of nib to rounded end

The nib is two tone with just Parker vacumatic reg.TM stamped on it...no date

the width of the cap at it's widest point is 14mm

the width of the pen at it's widest is 12mm

I'll post some new photo's later in the evening

Does the top one have a shorter clip around 25mm long? Is it possible that the 6 is an 8 that you mentioned in the engraving? Either way, I am confident that it's a Vac Sr Debutante going by the dimensions you've given.

The other, is just as thought in my above post, '38 Major in Emerald Pearl.

Edited by pen-deco

www.pen-deco.com

@peterg....now you have me curious why have they lost their jewels?

But if I could also go back to my original question would someone be able to give me an idea of what a fair price that someone would pay for both of these as they are. I'm not a collector but am wanting to sell some of the pens that I've bought in order to help buy a new sailor or Namiki Falcon

I'm a letter writer and calligrapher and while I love and appreciate vintage pens have decided that my focus would be on keeping a few good writing pens and increasing others others such as oblique holders and nibs for my calligraphy interest

So that is why I'd like to sell these to someone at a reasonable price whatever that my be

Jewels work loose, are removed for some reason, break - any number of reasons. For most of the 2nd generation Vacs, the reproduction jewels from Woodbin work quite well. They're a one piece jewel/clip screw, which was used for a while during the War, so I consider them to be acceptable.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.