Best Ink For Taking Quick Notes

FrostyToast

As the title says: Which ink do you prefer for taking quick notes?

I would assume that you would want something that can dry quickly on the page but can still flow easily.

I don't know much about inks at all so that is why I am seeking your input.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FrostyToast

• SujiCorp12345

• Sandy1

• MimiToto

Top Posters In This Topic

Some inks I use frequently for notes include:

- Iroshizuku Kon-peki

- Noodler's Blue

- J.Herbin Lie De The

- Diamine Majestic Blue

- Diamine Imperial Purple

- Rohrer and Klinger Salix

They all dry reasonably quickly and are easy to read. Salix in particular is actually iron-gall and has some permanence.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Some inks I use frequently for notes include:

- Iroshizuku Kon-peki

- Noodler's Blue

- J.Herbin Lie De The

- Diamine Majestic Blue

- Diamine Imperial Purple

- Rohrer and Klinger Salix

They all dry reasonably quickly and are easy to read. Salix in particular is actually iron-gall and has some permanence.

Thanks for the info!

Do any of these inks have problems with bleeding through pages of paper?

I don't exactly intend on using proper fountain pen paper for taking notes

Thanks for the info!

Do any of these inks have problems with bleeding through pages of paper?

I don't exactly intend on using proper fountain pen paper for taking notes

For school notes, I usually use HP 24lbs. laserjet paper, which is cheaper than stuff like Rhodia, Clairefontaine, etc..., and I have no bleedthrough on that using EF or F nibs.

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I use Diamine Presidential Blue with a Lamy 2000 fine nib, and its perfect for my everyday use on almost any paper.

It dries quickly, almost impossible to smudge, dries in 1 sec.

Will get slight bleed through on some papers.

I used Parker Quink all through college.

Not saying that is the ink to use. But it was the one that I used for 7years of taking notes, and it did just fine.

Today I am not sure what I would use. The selection today is so vast that it boggles the mind, compared to just Sheaffer and Parker that I had available when I went to school. I may go with Sheaffer, Parker, Waterman, Pelikan or Pilot. As a student, cost was/is a factor, so no expensive inks.

And I have to contradict you. You MUST use fountain pen friendly paper, if you use a fountain pen. The cheap discount store paper will bleed and feather like crazy. You will spend more time fighting that, than it is worth. Just do yourself a favor and used fountain pen friendly paper. This does not mean you have to use EXPENSIVE Clairefontaine or Rhodia paper. I use Staples spiral wire bound notebooks made in BRAZIL. The quality is not as good as the expensive stuff, but it is quite usable and friendly to my fountain pens.

You need to look at 4 variables; pen, ink, paper and writer.

- Your pen needs to be a bit on the dry side. A WET pen will take longer for the ink to dry.

- The ink needs to be matched to the pen and paper.

- The paper needs be absorbent to some degree. Hard surface paper takes longer to dry.

- You need to write with a light hand. A heavy hand will make the pen write wetter, which will take longer to dry.

Change and 1 item and you could go from fast drying to pooling ink and long drying.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If permanency isn't an issue I've found Montblanc Royal Blue or Pelikan Konigsblau to be quite nice. If it is, Pilot Blue Black or Noodler's Black. To be honest, my number one vote would be for Noodler's Black but it isn't the quickest drier and can smear. That said, I haven't had any serious issues with it and the bulletproof quality is really nice for important notes.

I find that decent quality printer paper is ok for fp use, like xerox laser paper, did very little feathering and only with a few inks. It was smooth enough for dip pen as well.

Noodler's black is good on almost all paper, but doesn't do well with a number of FPs, especially the drier pens.

R&K salix was another ink that I found to be good on most paper, I love it. smooth enough for all pens, but you have to do regular cleaning for the pen, since it's an iron-gall type ink, that also makes it permanent.

Sailor nano black is my favourite, a bit dry in some of the drier pens. You also have to do regular cleaning, because of the nano particles. (duh)

Edited by MimiToto

Noodler's X-feather is something you could also consider if you don't mind using black ink. In a EF/F nib, it shouldn't feather too badly.

Noodler's X-feather is something you could also consider if you don't mind using black ink. In a EF/F nib, it shouldn't feather too badly.

Cool. I wouldn't mind black ink for note taking. Sure you wouldn't get shading and interesting lines, but that might be a good thing if I need to study from my notes and not be distracted by the colours :P

Hi,

So many good choices!

Today I would pick Herbin Bleu Nuit:

Dry times are typical of aniline dye inks with a modest dye-load, adequate water resistance, reluctant to bleed- show-through on FP-hostile papers.

Very charming - you'll actually want to read notes written with that ink. :happyberet:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Based on the recommendations that have been posted here these inks seem to be what I should be looking at:

Herbin Bleu Nuit

Rohrer and Klinger Salix

Noodler's X-feather

Could anyone give me a comparison between these?

Based on the recommendations that have been posted here these inks seem to be what I should be looking at:

Herbin Bleu Nuit

Rohrer and Klinger Salix

Noodler's X-feather

Could anyone give me a comparison between these?

Hi,

Well, how about two out of three?

I've posted full reviews of Bleu Nuit and Salix :

- HBlN: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/228840-j-herbin-bleu-nuit/?p=2448678

- Salix: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/160998-rohrer-klingner-salix/?p=1604375 And comparison exemplars @ Post № 11 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/160998-rohrer-klingner-salix/?p=2259622

Bye,

S1

__ __

S/DT & Wet Tests:

Bleu Nuit

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bleu%20Nuit/4e1f53ab.jpg

R&KS:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20RK%20Salix/8aa3c93c.jpg

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa is an incredibly fast-drying ink. It's basically an expensive version of Pilot Namiki Blue :P, but with much faster dry time, less than 5 seconds (check reviews, this is the I k's most praised quality.)