Noodlers Ink

Hobbitgate

I have recently purchased a bottle of Noodlers Baystate Blue and am using it for the first time. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. It seems to clog up the Lamy pen I used it in and when I tried it on Rhodia paper using my oblique pen it seemed to feather.

I realize that it's well thought of, but has anyone else experienced similar problems?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Hobbitgate

• SujiCorp12345

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't experienced any clogging issues with it, but it does feather very easily.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

what are some of the inks you prefer?

Some Noodler's inks or just inks in general?

If Noodler's it would probably be Eel Blue.

If you mean ink in general, then some favourites include:

- Diamine Asa Blue

- Diamine Chocolate Brown

- Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki

- Rohrer and Klingner Alt-Goldgrun

- Montblanc Toffee Brown

- Private Reserve D.C. Supershow Blue

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I have recently purchased a bottle of Noodlers Baystate Blue and am using it for the first time. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. It seems to clog up the Lamy pen I used it in and when I tried it on Rhodia paper using my oblique pen it seemed to feather.

I realize that it's well thought of, but has anyone else experienced similar problems?

I hate to ask, but did you clean that pen VERY well? I've put BSB in a couple new pens dedicated to it, but I've also put it in a couple previously used pens. Knowing it doesn't play well with other inks, I REALLY cleaned the pens. Like, I'm pretty overkill as it is, but I let it soak a long time in a cleaning solution I whipped up. It has never given me any clogging problems in the handful of pens I put it in, new or previously used.

It does feather on some papers, but any slightly thicker, better paper it behaves very well. Even on 'lowest bid' copy paper we use in government, it keeps a pretty tight line. The only ones it feathers on are the super, mega recycled note-pads that I'm pretty sure a ball point feathers on to some degree.

Thanks for your feedback. I did wash out the pen with water but I guess I could have gone deeper with an ammonia/soap/ water mixture.

I was writing on a Rhodia pad.

I'll give it another go and give it a deep cleaning and see if it still does that. I've been using the Waterman and Lamy inks so far and really liked them...just not sure if this one is all that seems to be raved about. There is a new supplier in Winnipeg that now carries it and that's why I was able to try it out.

Anyway I'll give it another try and see how it feels. Thanks again...it is appreciated!

Thanks for your feedback. I did wash out the pen with water but I guess I could have gone deeper with an ammonia/soap/ water mixture.

I'll give it another go and give it a deep cleaning and see if it still does that. I've been using the Waterman and Lamy inks so far and really liked them...just not sure if this one is all that seems to be raved about. There is a new supplier in Winnipeg that now carries it and that's why I was able to try it out.

Anyway I'll give it another try and see how it feels. Thanks again...it is appreciated!

Hello Hobbitgate,

You may or may not have lost your Safari. BSB has a bit of a bad reputation. Perhaps if you soak the nib section overnight in a 10% ammonia solution, (10% CLEAR ammonia and 90% water), you'll be able to knock it loose again. Or, maybe not.

When using BSB, it is always best to put it in a brand new pen that has been flushed, and then never put another ink in that pen but BSB. If you want a nice bright blue that is perfectly safe, try J. Herbin's Eclat de Saphir, that is a nice blue ink without anything to worry about.

Best regards,

Chris

PS: If you want to stick with Noodlers, go with their standard or Eel Blue.

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I never experience clogging with BSB, but it was always a hard starter.

I like to dilute it down, about 30-50% water. I just eyeball it. Helps me with the hard starting and the feathering.

If you were wanting an opinion re Baystate Blue, you'll get a range of them - from people that love the eye-popping colour and can live with the ink's "idiosyncrasies" and downsides... to those who hate it with a passion. I wouldn't put it in a Lamy Safari - or any pen, for that matter, that I don't want stain or damage. I keep a Platinum Preppy and and a Pilot Varsity inked up with this, and with their fine-to-medium nibs I find it behaves well on better paper (Rhodia, Clairefontaine) - but will still feather like crazy on cheaper stuff.

That said, you can't generalise from Baystate Blue to the whole line of Noodler's inks. He makes some that are very 'normal' in their qualities - a little more saturated, maybe, than Waterman or Lamy, but otherwise very comparable. He also makes a range of 'bulletproof' or 'eternal' inks that I find quite good, but that can take a bit more work to clean as they're designed to dry waterfast and fade-resistant. Then there are the lubricated inks (for drier pens) and the Polar inks (with lower freezing temp) that are quite purpose-specific... plus a variety of 'special interest' inks that have all sorts of interesting colours or properties, but that are "use at your own risk". The Baystate inks (Blue, Concord Grape and Cranberry) fall into that last category.

Apart from Baystate Blue, I have about 4 bottles of bulletproof Noodler's inks, and 2 other "semi-water-resistant" and 2 non-bulletproof - plus a few samples. I find them all pretty well-behaved, and I like the colours.

You really can't go wrong with Waterman or Lamy inks - they're very safe. But I'd say the same for most Noodler's inks, too - just make sure you know what you're getting into before you buy the bottle!

I'm solidly in the I adore BSB camp. I have used it in a Safari for years. I have used multiple pens and it is one of the few inks that I have had to restock. I can't think of another ink that I have purchased and personally used 4 bottles.

That being said, one of my very first posts was trying to find another blue as retinal searing as BSB, but low maintenance. BTW such an ink does not exist.

I use predominantly demonstrators and I have never lost a pen to BSB.

Nevertheless, BSB does require more TLC.

1. No contamination with other inks.

2. Clean thoroughly.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi,

+1 for dilution.

Noodler's Baystate Blue - Dilution: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/180675-dilution-noodlers-baystate-blue/

Comparison : Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, Pilot Asa-Gao, Noodler's Baystate Blue, Private Reserve American Blue Dilution Too https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/181090-comparison-pelikan-edelstein-topaz-pilot-asa-gao-noodlers-baystate-blue-private-reserve-american-blue

Dilution - A Rough Guide @ Post № 23 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218161-need-help-selecting-my-first-japanese-pens/?p=2315439

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

You put BSB in a pen you didn't want to throw away? :angry:

A good pen like a Lamy. :yikes:

Didn't you read....all the warnings about BSB. Use only a designated cheap pen.

Well thanks for warning 388.

I'm glad Amber has skated, by cleaning often and thoroughly. Still, I'd not use it in one of my pens.....I'll use yours.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've used BSB in a $1000 Cartier. I would not use BSB in my $20 Estie.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I dedicate BSB to but few pens only because it is such a royal pain to remove all traces of it from a pen. Right now it's dedicated to a TWSBI Diamond 540. The ink is a bit diluted. I'd like to use it in a Pilot Celemo, but I'm not eager to put Richard Binder's claim about the Pilot feeds and BSB to the test. It is a reliable starter in the 540, though the first stroke can be a little reluctant when I store it nib up. I don't get even that when I store it horizontally.

For a blue-lover and inkophile to avoid this ink entirely seems rather ascetic to me, though 99% of the time I use something else.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Well, I am such a flat headed soul, I just went through a lot of blue shopping and this is what I found.

1) I dedicated a Lamy Al Star to Bay State Blue. No problems at all. I just use it up so fast, that is my big problem there! No clogs or eating of the pen parts, just smooth beautiful eye-searing blue.

2) I just did a face off between DC Electric Blue and (gasp) Noodler's Blue. I liked Noodler's Blue the best. It was lighter but it was more intense. Tending slightly to green and does shade (not madly but that depends on the paper). I liked the intensity of the blue vs. the serious saturation of DC Electric.

3) My other fave fave favorite blue is Akkerman Shocking Blue which is a green leaner with shade and sheen to beat the band. It's darker than Noodler's Blue. Same as Majestic Blue from Private Reserve though.

4) Noodler's American Blue Eel is great! I have always loved that one and need to dig it out!

Those are are my thoughts on the subject. I hope you find your perfect blue.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Well, I am such a flat headed soul, I just went through a lot of blue shopping and this is what I found.

1) I dedicated a Lamy Al Star to Bay State Blue. No problems at all. I just use it up so fast, that is my big problem there! No clogs or eating of the pen parts, just smooth beautiful eye-searing blue.

2) I just did a face off between DC Electric Blue and (gasp) Noodler's Blue. I liked Noodler's Blue the best. It was lighter but it was more intense. Tending slightly to green and does shade (not madly but that depends on the paper). I liked the intensity of the blue vs. the serious saturation of DC Electric.

3) My other fave fave favorite blue is Akkerman Shocking Blue which is a green leaner with shade and sheen to beat the band. It's darker than Noodler's Blue. Same as Majestic Blue from Private Reserve though.

4) Noodler's American Blue Eel is great! I have always loved that one and need to dig it out!

Those are are my thoughts on the subject. I hope you find your perfect blue.

I use and enjoy everyone of those blues you name.