Reasonably Priced Delta Pens On Ebay

cjbrown34

Hi everyone. Been a while since I posted, but I am grateful to all you that have aided me in my search for pen-knowledge. I recently purchased two pens on eBay from shop_martemodenausa. I purchased a Delta Capri Night & Day for $120 (Fusion nib, Ivory), and a DELTA Dolcevita Oversize Oro (14K Nib Fine, Numbered ed.) for $298. Both had free shipping. I just received the Oro today and it is beautiful. It writes wet and the flow is fantastic.

Now, I suspect that there a some differences between these Delta pens and others on the market in America, but I contacted the seller and Delta. Both confirmed that the seller is an authorized dealer. The seller states the Oro is "New with original Dolcevita Collection Box (not sealed) and papers." I saw no flaws, so far. Maybe it is a return.

The ORO is model 1KO/F - Nib Gold 14K (F) - N. Ed. I believe this is the same model on their Italian web site MarteMardena.it. Let me know what you think. I hope I did not get taken, but so far the first pen is beautiful with a nice flex to the nib. I will try to update with a pen review in the future.

Peace to you all, Chris

PS - The seller was great. I was out of town and they held the pen until I returned. It took 4 days to get the pen, They shipped Monday and I received it Thursday.

Edited by cjbrown34

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjbrown34

• pp763

• 4lex

• freeboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, the ORO is a very striking pen. Perhaps someday. Check out the Delta Unica at Goulet Pens, it is the same striking orange material and is very inexpensive.

Michael

Thank your right, looks like that is a very reasonably priced pen, and same orange material as you said.

I look forward to receiving mine. It does look beautiful in the picture and I do seem to have an affinity for the Italian pens.. The Montegrappa Miya body is one of my favorites and the Stipulas are fantastically smooth writers.

• 2 weeks later...

I share some concern, I bought Delta Journal on ebay from martemodenausa and the price was really good. No problem with the pen either but the clip looks different from the standard Journal clip. The box is original but open, not sealed. I wonder what the game is? If it sounds too good to be true it probably is?

But as I said, the pen is great, looks and feels original.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Ok an update. I received both pens. The oversized Oro was beautiful and a great writer, but one issue: the pen did not completely seal when used as a dropper filled pen (without cartridge). The vendor said it could be filled like this and there was a rubber ring for apparently sealing off the ink. But, after filling the pen with ink, I saw there was a small line of ink at the threads. There was a very small leak. As far as the Day-night goes, the half moon had a flaw in the color. It had a big purple spot. I just shipped both of them back for replacements. They seller arranged and paid return shipping. Also the Day-night initially came with the wrong nib. It had a steel nib and I had purchased fusion. They immediately sent the fusion after I sent them a message.

So I am waiting on my "new" pens. The oro was so great a writer, and so beautiful that it immediately became a favorite. I was tempted to keep it anyway, but I would rather have what I paid for, if possible. I suspect some or all of these pens are returned or have flaws. Hopefully, I get two great ones. Otherwise, .....

Peace Chris

PS - I will add an update If/when I get the new pens. :^)

Edited by cjbrown34

The oversized Oro was beautiful and a great writer, but one issue: the pen did not completely seal when used as a dropper filled pen (without cartridge). The vendor said it could be filled like this and there was a rubber ring for apparently sealing off the ink. But, after filling the pen with ink, I saw there was a small line of ink at the threads. There was a very small leak. As far as the Day-night goes, the half moon had a flaw in the color. It had a big purple spot.

My experiences with Delta's quality control are not too good either; at least their design is flawless. :)

When it comes to leaking, a (very) little vaseline or the like might do the trick...

The shop replaced the pens and paid for shipping. I just got a bill from DHL for the customs for the pen, (which the vendor said I was responsible for in the ebay post - no deception). Otherwise everything is good now, so far. The pens are wet and smooth, they cave me new boxes and ink with the pen.

I've purchased several Deltas from Martemodenausa. All came in unsealed boxes. So far I've been very happy with the service and quality.

All were shipped very quickly, a week less from Italy to Australia.

Sometimes the seller is away but usually notes it on the site or eBay items.

Often the same pen will be available as an Auction, Make an offer or Buy-It-Now at different price levels.

Also different versions of the pen may account for price differences such a Limited Edition vs Numbered Edition vs regular production (?).

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

I contacted Delta and they assured me its a genuine seller. So I proceeded to get Delta Capri Marina Grande FP for me and Dolcevita rollerball for my son. The pens I got so far were ok

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I've purchased 2 Delta pens from this seller in the past month.

No issues.

Great price, fast shipping, pens worked great, no visible flaws.

I have no concerns recommending them, based on my successful experiences.

Good to hear from you, Chris of Capital Heights, Maryland.

Harry S. Truman Drive; Hampton Mall; FedX Field. Go, Wizards !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

cjbrown34,

This sounds like business as usual for Delta. Along with Stipula, Delta seems to have a higher number of Quality related issues than the other Italian companies.

If you are a devotee of Italian pens then this is just the price of doing business. I think this is more indicative of the companies that make them than the one you bought them from.

The fact that you got it for such a great price, and they are willing to try and rectify the issue is a good thing, especially at the price.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Great find, thanks! I've been looking to buy an Oro for a while now and the prices are certainly attractive, especially also being in Europe so no customs etc. Now I just need to decide whether I get the medium piston or oversize model. And whether I get golden or rhodium fittings. :gaah:

Edited by elderberry

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

Congrats on your nice pens, Chris! Glad that it all turned out well....

Have had a bunch of Deltas over the past several years and all were good....

Also, bought once from the same seller and it good experience.....

Enjoy writing....

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I too have recently purchased from the same seller - and same results : good pens, fast delivery, no problem.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Everything went ok with customs. I told them I had returned the original pens and they cancelled the bill. I will likely get a bill for the second two pens but it wont be much maybe $32. Otherwise pens are doing great.

This post serves as another reminder that, if you have a hankering for pens made overseas and you occasionally travel, it is a good idea to shop when traveling. One must, of course find good pen shops and avoid touristy shops and expensive boutiques with big mark ups Products can be viewed and selected - even test written - in person. What you hold in your hand and examine when you are in Italy, Germany or Japan is the one you get. VAT fees are typically refunded when leaving the country. And, there are no customs or shipping fees. Three or four fountain pens fit very easily in the carry on.

They also let me keep the extra bottle of ink from the first pens and the second fine point fusion nib, . They really did a great job and I would highly recommend them.