Why Is Lamy So Damn Good?

Sundrah

Every one of their products has supreme performance in relation to cost. I just decided to whip this thread up after trying some Lamy black ink versus my previous go-to Sheaffer Skrip, and on poor quality paper it doesn't bleed at all whilst the Skrip bled hard(all with the same pen). I've also had great experiences with the Safari. Is it because the pen designs are quite underwhelming? It's really all I can think of that is a downside, and it seems very fixable.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LamyOne

• Bo Bo Olson

• ac12

• owend

I can't say much for the Safari, Vista, Al-Star though I do agree they are good starter pens. Their inks are rather diluted. However, I recently got a Lamy 2000 F and that instantly became my favourite pen over my Sailor 1911 EF, Pilot Custom 823 F, Pelikan M215 F, Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne.

Damn.

It's good.

Lamy definitely makes a fantastic pens at a good price. their inks are not too bad either. there was a thread awhile back where someone figured out the cost per ml of all the various ink brands and noodlers and lamy were the most affordable. i find that lamy's ink bottle is one of my favorite designs for using all the ink next to the old sheaffer bottles with the lip at the top. i kind of like that weird toilet paper roll on the bottom of lamy inks as well.

Hello Sundrah & Everyone else,

You don't have to sell me on Lamy. :D

The reason their products are so good is because they follow the old adage, form follows function, in other words, style comes second, German engineered functionality comes first - with all of their products.

The pens are designed to be used - like fountain pens used to be back in their hey-day; at Lamy, they do not design them to be status symbols like most other modern pen manufacturers do, (who put style before function and reliability); Lamy designs their pens to be pens - and to be used as pens - pure and simple. :)

When you get a chance, pick yourself up a Studio or a 2K - and you'll never look back - unless your naturally curious, like me.

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Well, many people don't like the triangular section on the Safaris (myself included). Is it innovative? I suppose, but it's not a thing that has caught on in the fp world. So it would appear it's not actually a desired feature.

Also, the standard safaris don't normally include a converter. That's just such a pity. I'm sure it doesn't cost them an arm and a leg to make them, but they're selling them as add-ons at a premium.

LamyOne says it's all function over form with Lamy. I'd argue that the ink bottles are anything but. The paper roll is purely a gimmick, which serves no new additional function if it is -as given- included in the bottle, over a tissue or paper towel.

I also really dislike their M nibs, they're sooo wet, but of course that's my own fault for buying them over Fs.

Edited by mike.jane

I recently got a Lamy studio and it's amazing. I do not think it's design is underwhelming, I actually think it's quite nice. It really is a good step up from the safari.

The Lamy 2000 is my favorite pen...that's why I bought 2 in the same, Medium, nib width (to suit my daily writing)...so classy looking! I've yet to try out the inks, but I probably will!

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

They focus on designing their pens, other writing instruments and accessories as tools to be used rather than as lifestyle accessories or luxury objects.

Their designs aren't everyone's taste, but neither is the Porsche 911 & VW Beetle. The 911 is the same basic design it was 50 years ago.

Edit: typo

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My Lamy Al-star is what got me hooked on fountain pens. I actually don't mind the design.

Me too. My Al Star was my first.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hello Sundrah & Everyone else,

You don't have to sell me on Lamy. :D

The reason their products are so good is because they follow the old adage, form follows function, in other words, style comes second, German engineered functionality comes first - with all of their products.

The pens are designed to be used - like fountain pens used to be back in their hey-day; at Lamy, they do not design them to be status symbols like most other modern pen manufacturers do, (who put style before function and reliability); Lamy designs their pens to be pens - and to be used as pens - pure and simple. :)

When you get a chance, pick yourself up a Studio or a 2K - and you'll never look back - unless your naturally curious, like me.

Best regards,

Chris

+1

Lamy follows the Bauhaus design concept.

"Centered around clean geometric forms, balanced visual composition, and materials such as wood, metal and glass, Bauhaus design embraced a futuristic look that was still very much interested in the creation of functional products for the real world. Encouraging a scientific approach to design, the mechanical and industrial aspects were not things to be covered up, but rather showcased."

(Quote taken from: http://gizmodo.com/5918142/8-beautiful-things-from-bauhaus-the-single-most-influential-school-of-design)

Which explains the futuristic Lamy 2000 when it was introduced in 1966... even today it doesn't look out of place. I love my 2000 :wub:

Form over function is practical. I love being practical (although, I'll admit I drool over Maki-e and Raden... :lol: )

~Epic

EDIT: Included source of quote.

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Not to interrupt this love-fest, but views of Lamy differ greatly around FPN. Many feel that the pens are neither particularly good nor good values for the price in today's market. And their lack of quality control on nibs has been a continuing subject.

ron

Lamy Turquoise was when I joined the com some 6 years ago, the standard Turquoise that all were measured against for tone.

It will shade if you have Rhoda 80g paper, but not on normal copy paper of 80g/@20 pound. It will shade on 90g paper.

Go to Ink Reviews, the first two reviews shows the shading. In it did not shade on my normal 80g printer paper, it was a nice color but sort of Blaaa. After reading the reviews, luckily I had a small booklet of Oxford Optic 90g, and it shaded. :thumbup: That made it a good ink, worth buying.

The little pen cleaning hidden paper roll is a very good idea....like if you are in an office with out a paper roll.

IMO it is a shame the violet only comes in cartridges. Yes, it is worth getting. That was my first off the wall ink, and broke the ice.

I don't have a picture of the modern bottle, I'm sure some one has one. Here is the bottle before it, with out the hidden paper roll.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/KGrHqJg4E9s8j9cIEBPsBsUs5-60_58_zps4d90590c.jpg

Pelikan 4001 is also a good affordable ink.....in both cases the Royal Blue of both is equal. They are not water proof, both will fade.

Besides in Germany, Pelikan also makes it's 4001 in Asia somewhere so the shipping charges shouldn't be too much.

As far as I know, having taken a factory tour of Lamy, they make all their own inks in the factory....If Lamy is affordable in Australia, then they have an ink factory in Asia or ship by ship. Air Freight is much too expensive.

Some folks don't like Lamy Green...a few do. If you have the right paper it's ok.

I don't like it, in the Pelikan 4001 Green is a good shading ink. I did a 11 green/greenish ink test on some 8 or so papers..

In the Green-green inks, R&K was a head in front of MB Irish, and a neck in front of 4001.

By us in Germany, the R&K costs @ €8, MB is now €15 and Pelikan 4001 inks are €4.00 like Lamy.

4001 Green beat it's younger more expensive brother Edelstein Adventure easily.

4001 was the reason, I went on a year's splurge of green toned inks.

You are lucky being down under, in you can still get Pelikan Blue Black...those in the states can't get it. I've not tried Lamy Blue Black, but would expect it to be a good ink.

Pelikan Black is a bit blacker than Lamy....but I'm not into black inks...only having one.

I find Diamine inks feather or have a wooly line. Lamy doesn't.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Well, many people don't like the triangular section on the Safaris (myself included). Is it innovative? I suppose, but it's not a thing that has caught on in the fp world. So it would appear it's not actually a desired feature.

Also, the standard safaris don't normally include a converter. That's just such a pity. I'm sure it doesn't cost them an arm and a leg to make them, but they're selling them as add-ons at a premium.

LamyOne says it's all function over form with Lamy. I'd argue that the ink bottles are anything but. The paper roll is purely a gimmick, which serves no new additional function if it is -as given- included in the bottle, over a tissue or paper towel.

I also really dislike their M nibs, they're sooo wet, but of course that's my own fault for buying them over Fs.

Hello Mike.Jane,

Personally, the triangular grip is something I can take or leave; I'm one of the few people in the world who neither loves it or hates it. I use it when I'm using a Safari, but I don't miss it when I'm using a Studio - and vice-versa.

Well, a converter is included in all of their pens priced over $50.

I really like their ink bottles - they have a built-in inkwell so you can nearly get the last drop and I like the paper strip, the wipes are plastic backed, so the ink doesn't soak through to stain your fingers like a towel or Kleenex does. I like the inks themselves, too. :)

But to each his own - I'm not going to swear out a vendetta against you because your not fond of Lamy's. :D

BTW, how can a pen be too wet? :huh:

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Turquoise

Hello Bo Bo,

Nuts! You beat me to it! :gaah:

Altough, I'm also quite fond of their blue-black - I always have a pen loaded with it.

Hello Everyone else,

For other fans of Lamy, you may want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seL0J8oQMEc

Best regards,

Chris

As interesting as many think they are, none of their designs have any appeal for me at all. In addition, I prefer XF nibs and Lamy is wider than most others, making even a Fine way too fat for me.

Nothing against them, just a perspective from someone who doesn't have any use for Lamy.

Don't have a Lamy, but I can attest to their quality. A friend of mine filled up an L2K, forgot he owned it, and found it some four years later, tucked away in a corner of his room. After a quick flush, the pen worked good as new.

EDIT: Not a huge fan of their inks, but I love, love, love their bottle design.

Edited by Yehenara

I got a lamy 2k with a medium nib for a good price, used in good condition. Frankly I am incredibly impressed with the quality and writing performance. A very practical EDC.