Is This A Metal Cartridge? How Does This Work?

jspatton53

I just bought a Sheaffer desk fountain pen. When I took it apart to refill, I saw this metal cartridge(?). There are two view holes on opposite sides and one at the end. I assume that is a sac in it. It looked like dried shellac on the screw part for the barrel. I was able to pull it down about a quarter of an inch, but it doesn't seem to want to go any further. (I haven't applied a lot of force to remove it yet.)

What is this thing and how does it work?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

post-101561-0-30201600-1414621991_thumb.jpgpost-101561-0-55410300-1414622011_thumb.jpgpost-101561-0-97579500-1414622031_thumb.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• jspatton53

• gregamckinney

• risingsun

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are disassembling the pen, not accessing the filling mechanism. The reason you see remnants of a sealant on the threads is because those threads were sealed to allow the filler to work properly; you've broken that seal.

This type of pen uses the Touchdown filling system. The back piece of the body (in this case, the taper) unscrews at that slender trim ring, and then you withdraw it; you then place the point in ink and depress the rear part and hold the point in ink for a few seconds to allow the sac to expand and draw in a full load of ink. You take the point out of the ink, screw the back piece back in, and you are ready to write (a little wiping of the front area is usually needed as well).

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Here's Richard Binder's page on the various filling systems that have been used over the ages. Take a look at the Touchdown section.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

That is a Touchdown filler, often abbreviated TD. There is a sac inside the metal guard that is compressed when the outer sleeve is depressed.

Richard Binder has a good page about them:http://richardspens.com/?prof=td_tm

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Thanks to all. I had no idea what I was looking at and figured someone would know. I'm fairly new to all of the ins and outs of fountain pens, although I've had Sheaffer school pens since high school way back in the early 70's. Later I had Easy Change Osmiroids. But that has pretty much been it and they all took cartridges.

Lately, with renewed interest in fountain pens, levers, pistons, and cartridges are just about the only things I've come across. So many different ways to get to the same end results.