Think I'll Treat Myself To A New Fountain Pen.

pgmrdan

Back in school I used some very inexpensive plastic Sheaffer fountain pens. You could get them for about $1. I remember only having 2 of them and I think I still have one. Back in the late 70's or early 80's I bought a Parker. I think I've identified it as a Parker "25" Flighter. Looks like brushed steel with black plastic trim pieces. It used to have a refillable piece but the sack broke/tore. Not sure if I still have that stashed away somewhere or not but since it will also use cartridges it's still usable.

After about 35 years I'm in the mood to begin using a fountain pen again but this time I'd like something a little nicer.

I don't need anything fancy or flashy. I'm not collecting although I eventually may end up with several reasonably priced 'user' fountain pens. My first concern is that it write well and smoothly with my close second concern is that it be comfortable.

I'm an older man with slightly larger than average hands.

Where do I start?

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

The Dalai Lama

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgmrdan

• BernieC

• Anirban4u

• sirgilbert357

Sailor 1911 might be a good place to start. Very classic looks, good reliability, and affordable. You did not mention budget though. If feasible, a used Montblanc 149 is a good fit for many and, to me, is worth the cost if you can find a good one around $300 or so.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I'm really looking for something less than $100. I'd been looking at the Sheaffer 100 and Sheaffer 300 (the 300 in glossy black with gold trim isn't flashy but looks very nice) . A decent new pen in the $40 to $80 price range would be nice. Then I'd have a few bucks for ink and paper left out of about a $100 +/- budget. Later I could search for some decent used pens or even a fixer-upper.

Edited by pgmrdan

The Dalai Lama

Have a look at lamy studios.

They are within your budget, have nice nibd and are not flashy or gaudy. They are also pretty girthy so may fit your hands

Just ordered my first fountain pen since 1980 +/-. I'm getting a Sheaffer 300 with a medium nib in glossy black with gold trim. It's amazing to see the price differences among online sellers. I may not have gotten the best price on the internet but I definitely didn't get the worst price.

Now I need to get a bottle or two of ink and some paper and some ... :D

The Dalai Lama

Oh! I do apologize! I was too slow getting to your post and I have cost you not only money but great satisfaction with using a fountain pen. I am so sorry! I had I been quicker, I would have advised you to purchase a fully restored Esterbrook transitional J or J fountain pen. You would have had, for under $60, as fine a fountain pen as you could have purchased for any amount of money. The Esterbrooks are not the dainty and dandy fountain pens, but are workhorses made of quality materials meant for daily use over the long haul. Add to that they have easily exchanged nibs so that you can seek out all the types of nib experiences you could wish for without having to change pens or send the pen off to have the nib changed. Now don't get me wrong, the Esterbrook will not last forever without having some work done - not forever, only about thirty or forty years provided you know how to flush a pen between every fifth or sixth refill. Then, you might have to have a sac replace, but you can even do that yourself. Oh, it is true that you can pay a great deal more money and you can get a fountain pen made of fancier materials - even mystery materials - but you cannot buy a better fountain pen.

While I was too late to be of help this time, maybe in a week or two, when you are tired of messing about with this new pen, you will recall this post and think ESTERBROOK!

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Either an Esterbrook as already mentioned or a Parker 51 Aero.

Contact FPNers Penfisher and Farmersmums. They give a maximum amount of P-51 for the buck. Search our classifieds for listings with their nicknames. Their listings speak for themselves.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks for the help everyone!

For my first purchase I wanted a new pen so that I shouldn't have any problems with it. Also, I didn't know who are reputable sellers of reconditioned pens. I need this type of informaiton so thanks for the names of some sellers.

I'm certain that in a couple of weeks I'll be thinking of buying another pen but at that time it will probably be a reconditioned pen.

The Dalai Lama

Absolutely agree with Bruce -- on the pens and buying from Penfisher. My 2-pen case this week has a 51 and an Esterbrook as its occupants.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Penfisher has 2 nice looking (to me, the inexperienced eye) Esterbrooks for sale now. I'll have to keep Penfisher in mind.

The Dalai Lama

Let us know how you like your Sheaffer! I've liked pretty much all their pens that I've used, hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of yours.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Just ordered my first fountain pen since 1980 +/-. I'm getting a Sheaffer 300 with a medium nib in glossy black with gold trim. It's amazing to see the price differences among online sellers. I may not have gotten the best price on the internet but I definitely didn't get the worst price.

Now I need to get a bottle or two of ink and some paper and some ... :D

Ah Sheaffer 300 is a nice pen. I have one in marbled blue (or whatever !). I really do hope that you M nib turns out to be an M and not a B.

Not too long ago, I posted a writing example of 300s & Sagaris' M nibs.

(just my experience, not trying to scare you off.)

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)