Conid Bulkfiller Flanders Field

arran

I have always been a fan of nice celluloids.It gives an great added value to the esthetics of a fountainpen.

As I had already some conid smaller size bulkfillers in my collection, I was particulary attracted by this new kingsize pen.

The smaller bulkfillers have been in rotation for quite some time and withstood a lot of writing.

In the beginning , it took some time to get used to the filling system, but now , just a pleasure to use.

Overall dimension and specs:

The pen comes with a 18 k rhodinated Bock nib with ebonite feed.

The bulkfiller system is being implemented as is well known.

The nib was ground into a stub , 1.1 mm by Fountainbel.

The size of the pen is comparable with MB 148 and pelikan M1000

Length capped : 143 mm

There is nice subte engraving saying: " In Flanders Fields 1914-2014 "

All details are in titanium :clip , thread capband.

The ink window is yellow but can be made in orther colours

The celluloid is the famous Tibaldi one with great black grey blue fluctuations in the light!

Balance and weight :

just perfect to me.

The MB 149 has always been the right size to me.

The balance is fine and the pen keeps its elegance for a bigger pen

Packaging :

Whereas the first packaging of the first bulkfillers a few years ago was just inferior quality , they now made a new penbox , which is very classy and high quality . It is made in the same production facilities at Conid.

The packaging of the Flanders pen is indeed very special :

A leather box with nice engraving plate with poem of John Mc Crae.

Included is the filling instruction leaflet (well done) , a USB stick with production video and a key to dismantle the pen

Writing : the writing is excellent , ink flow is stable and no special remarks

The ink volume is 3 ml , and is huge and practical if you like writing with stubs

Quality impression :

Sorry laids , but if you just look at with kind of precision this pen is made and what tolerance in machinery standards , just can just say WOW

E.g. The way the Ti clip is made cut on the lathe from one piece and with convex backside , in order to guarantee mechanical strenth.The cap is fixed on the cap and positioned by a ring.

The way the thread in conceived : Ti thread fits into the cap with precision

Besides the great ink volume , the other advantage is the very practical way of filling the pen and especially cleaning the pen.

There is no other pen in my collection that can flush and clean the ink as fast as the bulkfiller.

I am definitely will put some money aside for the new Panthere oro in their collection

Satisfied customer for sure.

Of course these are not cheap pens , but price quality seen a great value for sure!!

The profit is withheld at the producer itself.

post-86883-0-90018200-1414588986_thumb.jpg

post-86883-0-33868700-1414589020_thumb.jpg

post-86883-0-10402200-1414589045_thumb.jpg

post-86883-0-40042800-1414589073.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• estie1948

• PDW

• arran

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really a nice pen ! Thanks for this review.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/petitdauphinzele/midnightblue-1.png

aka Petitdauphinzele

An excellent example of machining indeed as they are producing pens on CNC turning machines

Thanks ,

Regards ,

Baaz

I saw this special edition at the London Pen Show, and I have to admit that it made me uneasy. WW1 was a ghastly event, and somehow the connection made with a modern pen worried me.

Before any flames arrive, yes, YMMV, but the word that comes to my mind is 'inappropriate'.

Indeed, me and my wife have deepest respect for the soldiers fallen for freedom.

Making a pen on this subject , does not mean , you celebrate war or whatever , but just commerorate a very important event in history.

Excellent review of an apparently excellent, well made pen. Thank you for posting it.

In Flanders Field . . . I agree with PDW about the association. However, here in America such associations are rampant and have been for many years - said to memorialize the event. Memorializing an event is not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be carried to far, in my humble opinion. I have even seen a serving platter (yes, a serving platter) with a scene depicting the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. At a flea market a year or two ago, there was a vendor selling ballpoint pens with an inch long clear section at the top end that contained bits of "ash from the Twin Towers in NYC of 9/11". He was doing a booming business and did not appreciate my asking if it was human ash.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Nice pen and good review, thanks.

I own a Tibaldi Impero in that very celluloid and I can vouch for its beauty.

Is the nib on the Conid a nr. 8? Only thing I would like in my Impero is a bigger nib...

Nice pen and good review, thanks.

I own a Tibaldi Impero in that very celluloid and I can vouch for its beauty.

Is the nib on the Conid a nr. 8? Only thing I would like in my Impero is a bigger nib...

Yes, the nib on the Kingsize's is affectively a BOCk size 8 with an ebonite feed.

Francis

I saw this special edition at the London Pen Show, and I have to admit that it made me uneasy. WW1 was a ghastly event, and somehow the connection made with a modern pen worried me.

Before any flames arrive, yes, YMMV, but the word that comes to my mind is 'inappropriate'.

Hi PDW,

Sorry to read you have problems with the presentation, I really feel embarrassed.

I do understand your sensibility on the matter, and i surely respect your viewpoint, however Conid dedicated this pen as a remembrance for the soldiers who fought for our freedom, to memorialize their offer.
My granduncle fought in the "Flanders Field" trenches with the Belgian army , and was killed in action near Diksmude on October 23 1914.
Francis

My other half pointed out to me that, perhaps of all people on the Western Front, the Belgians have at least as great a right to make this gesture as anyone else, and course, your loss makes it even more poignant. So, now, my opinion of this has changed .... at the very least, it made me think about the sad events the pen commemorates ... and I do apologise for making you feel embarrassed.

Edited by PDW

My other half pointed out to me that, perhaps of all people on the Western Front, the Belgians have at least as great a right to make this gesture as anyone else, and course, your loss makes it even more poignant. So, now, my opinion of this has changed .... at the very least, it made me think about the sad events the pen commemorates ... and I do apologise for making you feel embarrassed.

Thanks for your friendly reassuring reaction PDW, much appreciated !

Kind regards, Francis

On reading my post now, I realize that it could very well be taken as a condemnation (how else was it suppose to be taken?). I apologize, for such was not my intent. There are some very cheap, cheesy attempts made by those here in America producing everything from salt/pepper shakers to serving platters hoping to increase sales by saying they are memorials to some horrific event. I did not mean to link your excellent fountain pen with these people here. You have a quality product that truly pays tribute to those who served or had relatives who served in this great campaign and are trying to preserve in the memory of man their sacrifices. I am sorry that I did not read more carefully my callous response. I beg you forgiveness.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

On reading my post now, I realize that it could very well be taken as a condemnation (how else was it suppose to be taken?). I apologize, for such was not my intent. There are some very cheap, cheesy attempts made by those here in America producing everything from salt/pepper shakers to serving platters hoping to increase sales by saying they are memorials to some horrific event. I did not mean to link your excellent fountain pen with these people here. You have a quality product that truly pays tribute to those who served or had relatives who served in this great campaign and are trying to preserve in the memory of man their sacrifices. I am sorry that I did not read more carefully my callous response. I beg you forgiveness.

-David.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reaction, apologies thankfully accepted .

Kind regards, Francis

It is refreshing to read such courteous and civil discourse these days, especially on the internet. Kudos to estie1948 and fountainbel for having conflicting opinions yet making the effort to understand each other instead of reacting defensively. Thank you.

Paul

Thank you for the review of the handsome Flanders pen, arran....haven't seen this one in person, but I had a Tibaldi Impero at one point, so, know what the material looks like....

Think the presentation material with the pen are quite dignified, thoughtful, and make a good memorial to honor those that made sacrifices in the war.

Kudos to Francis and Conid.

Mark

PS. Francis, if you ever decide to honor those that served in WWII, that would be of interest as my father was a POW in a German stalag....and I'm sure that there's probably quite a few others that have their own stories, connections, and interest to WWII as it's closer to us timewise than WWI...

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Francis sincere congratulations.

I am always happy when someone fails his passion transform into a business.

Very nice pen....

A very fine remembrance. This week I write with Goulet's Purple Heart in my Conid as my memorial. The pen is a striking reminder that we live in freedom - to live and to write - about those who made an ultimate sacrifice.

Thank you all for your friendly comments, much appreciated !

@Archimark : Thanks for your suggestion on making a WWII remembrance Bulk filler, maybe one day…...

Francis

An excellent example of machining indeed as they are producing pens on CNC turning machines

Thanks ,

Regards ,

Baaz

Thanks for your reaction Baaz!

And indeed, CONID produces these pens on CNC machines, after i made the prototypes manually in my shop.

Given the integrated unique high precision filling system, the "bulk filler", making the pen manually is too time consuming, hence expensive.

Benefit of CNC machining is that all parts are completely interchangeable and one can always order any part separately whenever needed

So I don't see any negative aspects in making the parts on CNC machines, to the contrary !

Francis