Small Pens For 150 Or Less?

sirgilbert357

So I have a Pelikan M205 and LOVE it. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, but I nailed it with this purchase as a noob. Now I've realized my love for shorter pens. I've been doing a bit of research to find the next pen and I am TORN so many different ways! I know I could eventually have them all, but I want to keep the collection as small as possible for now. Here's a list of what I am considering purchasing (Merry Christmas to ME! LOL):

TWSBI Mini - about 50 bucks. I am fascinated by demonstrators, but not sure how much I would use it if I eventually get one of the next pens on my list, all of which I like better...

Sailor Sapporo/Pro Gear Slim (gold hardware) - 156 bucks. Love the size (its practically a carbon copy of my Pelikan's dimensions, but with a gold nib!) and would love to try a gold nib. Its also very pretty in my opinion. Gold hardware seems to be harder to find stateside, so may have to get it off ebay, which I'd rather not do, but meh...

Edison Beaumont Sapphire Flake - 149 bucks. Love the look of this pen. I am very interested in celluloids, and while this is different, it sort of gives me the same vibe. I also love blue. Cons are it seems a smidge high for what it offers, and its bigger than my sweet spot for size. But I tell myself this would be worth it to branch out...oh, I also really dislike the brand name being etched into the resin of the barrel. It really detracts from the overall pen in my opinion. Wish Edison would just use a jewel in the cap for the brand or get it engraved on the pen clips...sigh.

So, my ideal pen preferences (all length or diameter measurements are inches):

Length: 4.5 - 4.9

Diameter: Body .40 - ?? (lets say .50 for now); grip section .35 - .38

Weight: ?? - 25 g

I don't think a pen can ever be too light, so yeah...

Anyway, am I missing any pens I should be looking at? Especially ones with gold nibs or blue celluloid-ish looks to them? Don't really care about fill system, but would like the largest capacity possible (not doing any eyedropper conversions though).

Any suggestions?

Edited by sirgilbert357

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Algester

• Moshe ben David

• senzen

I use my Twsbi Mini as much as any pen I use. Even the more expensive ones.

As far as small pens go, Kaweco's Liliput and [iCE | AL | Classic] Sport pens are all good writers, although the Liliput is too small for me for more than jotting short notes. Although if one forgets that it's in a pocket and the clothes go through the wash with it there, it won't have leaked. I'm certain that a friend told me that.

go vintage. there are hundreds of variants of "ladies" fountain pens that are in the size range you are looking for and many of them are quite affordable. even on the higher end of prices but still under 150 you should be able to find waterman stirling silver overlay 452 1/2 V and still have enough left over to have it professionally restored.

edit:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UgQOwKxBRP8/VE_nx4KpDwI/AAAAAAAABVs/BPLAUngHnd4/s1600/ladies%2Bringtops.jpg

pens numbered from left to right 1-20

some of these are a little shorter than you are looking for but this is a good sampling of some vintage small pens. some of the celluloid ones you might enjoy are the eversharp bantam #7, the sheaffer tuckaway #13, waterman lady patricia #14, parker 17 lady #19, and Conklin nozac (not pictured) most of the ones pictured you should be able to find unrestored for $60 or less. the sheaffer tuckaway you should be able to find already restored in around the $80 range.

Edited by balson

I'm curious about the Stipula Splash I've started seeing lately. They're rather small (4.9" capped x .44 dia.) and only 16 grams. They're piston fillers so I imagine they hold quite a bit of ink. My Passaporto writes great (but is awkward getting it posted) so I'm curious if these are good writers..

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/stipula-splash-fountain-pens-posted.jpg

You've already mentioned the Sapporo, but I find the 1911m is a good size companion to my m205. I also echo the suggestions to go vintage as well.

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

How about a blue Pilot Stargazer?

http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Stargazer_Sapphire_Fine_Fountain_Pen_p/pn60963.htm

Or you can buy a Custom 98 from Japan (but I am not sure the specs fit your description), if you want something more classic looking (look at eBay, Rakuten and Engeika website).

Personally, a Prera is good enough and it hits your description. But since you want to expend more, I would look into this Stargazer, Japanese pens will contrast your Pelikan better. Make sure you have Japanese ink to try out a Japanese pen, they work better most of the times in those pens.

Good luck

pilot Elite NOS or the modern 98S short pen is short infact its more of a picket pen and then dont forget Kaweco

Hmm, never heard of the Pilot Elite, I will check it out. I've looked at the 98 before I think, but I'll go over it again to be sure. Thanks.

go vintage. there are hundreds of variants of "ladies" fountain pens that are in the size range you are looking for and many of them are quite affordable. even on the higher end of prices but still under 150 you should be able to find waterman stirling silver overlay 452 1/2 V and still have enough left over to have it professionally restored.

Well, two issues with that: Firstly, lack of knowledge about where to even start (brands, styles, long term known issues, etc. Plus finding measurements can be tricky and I know of literally ONE pen store in a 60 mile radius of me, so I need help finding a place to see some in person).

Secondly, I kind of want a pen that is ready to write right away for this next one. I don't really want to wait to have it restored...

How about a blue Pilot Stargazer?

http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Stargazer_Sapphire_Fine_Fountain_Pen_p/pn60963.htm

Or you can buy a Custom 98 from Japan (but I am not sure the specs fit your description), if you want something more classic looking (look at eBay, Rakuten and Engeika website).

Personally, a Prera is good enough and it hits your description. But since you want to expend more, I would look into this Stargazer, Japanese pens will contrast your Pelikan better. Make sure you have Japanese ink to try out a Japanese pen, they work better most of the times in those pens.

Good luck

You know, I looked at that one just last night (Blue Stargazer). I ruled it out for some reason...I think i figured it would be too top heavy when posted. I have a note scribbled next to its specs in my notebook that says "Only if seen in person"...I dunno, it was really late when I was doing this!! I think I have a comfort zone for buying online without having seen a pen in the flesh and this one was JUST out of that zone...

OH! I also prefer screw cap. That one is snap on I think...that might have been enough to edge it out of the "preferred" list.

Edited by sirgilbert357

You've already mentioned the Sapporo, but I find the 1911m is a good size companion to my m205. I also echo the suggestions to go vintage as well.

I'll look into the 1911m, thanks...

Lazy but nonetheless valid answer: another Pelikan!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Lazy but nonetheless valid answer: another Pelikan!

LOL. Ah, but which one? My price range severely limits me...

Hi,

The Sheaffer Tuckaway is quite short, and the section is about 'standard' girth. The open nib models are slightly longer than those with the outstanding firm conical nibs.

Also the Parker England Slimfold, Lady and model 17, which are somewhat slender. I've bought a number of those 'as found' in the wild, and all were rescued with no more than a serious clean-up of the aerometric ink handling system and minor tine teasing.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sailor Chalana/Daks Simpson. Longer than most little pens, but so slim and delicate with, in my case, a very interesting and wet nib which is so tiny that when people see it... well this is a direct quote "I didn't know they made those that small!" Push cap more than a snap cap, it is very pleasing and secure. I also tend to prefer screw caps. My only quibble - the section can unscrew itself while in use. The converter is solid and perfect for people who like to change inks frequently ;) But overall it is tiny, beautiful and a great drawing pen. $120 some places.

Fox Point

LOL. Ah, but which one? My price range severely limits me...

You can get a vintage Pelikan 140 in your price range.

Maybe you should take a look at a nice Esterbrook... Or two. :)

The Esterbrook SJ is a nice pen and can be had for a fraction of your budget. There are dozens of interchangeable nibs readily available for these pens. You could also spring for a Sheaffer Balance, JR, which is quite a small pen for about 30 bucks on the 'Bay. Both of these would have that antique celluloid look to them.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

My vote would be for:

TWSBI Mini (the rose gold version looks great IMO)

Pilot Stargazer (I know you said you would like a twist cap, but the snap cap works really well and it's still really light even though it has a brass body)

Sailor Sapporo/Slim (I've heard good things about this pen but have no personal experience with it)

Here's a picture to help you with the size comparison for the TWSBI Mini and the Pilot Stargazer:

1. Lamy 2000
2. TWSBI 580 Rose Gold
3. Pilot Custom Heritage 92
4. TWSBI Mini Rose Gold
5. Pilot Stargazer Sapphire

http://i.imgur.com/I6K9r7p.jpg

Edited by maverick777