Take-Sumi Vs Aurora Black?

meilinpo

Hi!

I just purchased my first fountain pen (a Vanishing-Point), and am wondering about inks to fill it with. The Iroshizuku Take-sumi and the Aurora black both seem to be great inks, and I am wondering about differences between them? As far as I can tell (with my inexperienced...ness), they seem to look and perform almost the same, but the Iroshizuku is about twice the cost. Is there something I am missing, that makes it worth the extra expense?

Thanks!

Edited by meilinpo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GHigley

• meilinpo

• LYTH

• SujiCorp12345

Top Posters In This Topic

Aurora Black is more wet than Iroshizuku Take-sumi. I prefer Aurora Black, which works out, because its cheaper anyway! :D

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Funny. I consider in my opinion that take sumi is more wet than Aurora.

Personally, in a Pilot pen, I will put Iroshizuku.

LYTH

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/LYTH1/031.jpg

Do you HAVE both or thinking about purchasing one or the other?

As another new person, I have only used two blacks, Take-sumi (imho, quite wet) and Waterman "Intense Black," and liked BOTH very much.

I have only used the take-sumi in a fine nib. Looking forward to taking it for a spin on bigger nib.

The Waterman is no slouch!

Good luck!

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

You can find Take-Sumi on eBay for close to half what some dealers charge.

Aurora black was my first FP ink, and as a left hander I did not like anything about it. I eventually gave it away to some ballpoint user who just thought it'd be cool to have a bottle of ink.

I wasn't so fond of it because it has a tendency to smear a lot on high quality paper (as a result of its being so wet).

This goes even for when it's dried on the paper sometimes.

When I had it I wished that I liked it, but I just couldn't get myself to accept it.

Then I got take Sumi. I've tried Noodler's black and J. Herbin perle noire, and after both I still preferred take Sumi.

We're talking 50 milliliters of ink.... If you buy a bottle, it's going to last you at least 10 years, unless you're a lawyer or something in which you write pages per day. I'll assume you're an average ink user; therefore, even $35 isn't bad, as it's really an investment. However, I would never spend $35 or even $25 for a bottle. eBay, eBay, eBay! I've gotten 3 bottles for $20 each from eBay. The fourth one was $13.50 from engeika. Also an amazing place to get Iroshizuku.

A bottle of Iroshizuku can be easily found on eBay for $20 shipped. However, try Aurora, maybe you'll like it. And I'm sorry for the rant and partial bias!

Edited by Kuhataparunks

Never tried the Aurora. Take-sumi is usually well behaved. Can feather on some papers.

Hmm on the quantity of ink. One bottle won't last 10 years, I assure you. My bottles of Asa-Gao and Tsuki-Yo are about 1/2 full, and that includes cycling through other inks. Sometimes the Iroshizukus get a rest when I need inks with different properties.

Yes, I am an attorney, but still... 1 bottle won't last 10 years.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Behike54 - I have *SAMPLES* of both, and would like to PURCHASE full bottles of one or the other.

Kuhatapranuks and SeeksAdvice - I would imagine how long the bottle lasts depends on just how much writing or drawing you do.

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm off to experiment with my samples... :)

Experiment is always the best answer. Samples are great so you can try one of the many, many 'black' inks and figure out which one you like. And figure out which one works best in your pen, on your paper, and all the other unique things about your own writing that make a difference.

I think of all the blacks that Take-sumi is the richest/blackest and one of the wettest, but it is a pain in the butt to clean out of pens, especially none cartridge pens. But I just keep using it in pens I won't use Platinum Carbon ink. Short of being waterproof, it is the nicest black besides the carbon ink.

Fair winds and following seas.

• 1 year later...

Just ordered a bottle of Take-Sumi based on the reviews above. I've enjoyed the Iroshizuku inks I've tried, so I don't consider it too much of a gamble and black ink is always good for the office. So far my favorite blacks are Aurora and Perle Noire.

Waterman inks are highly regarded for ease of cleaning and non-staining in vintage pens, but I don't hear of their "Intense Black" being similarly recommended. Have you all found blacks problematic in vintage pens? So far I've not had issues with inks in vintage pens, but I do steer clear of most "boutique" inks in my most valued. Thoughts?

Just ordered a bottle of Take-Sumi based on the reviews above. I've enjoyed the Iroshizuku inks I've tried, so I don't consider it too much of a gamble and black ink is always good for the office. So far my favorite blacks are Aurora and Perle Noire.

Waterman inks are highly regarded for ease of cleaning and non-staining in vintage pens, but I don't hear of their "Intense Black" being similarly recommended. Have you all found blacks problematic in vintage pens? So far I've not had issues with inks in vintage pens, but I do steer clear of most "boutique" inks in my most valued.

Some folks are of the opinion of "any ink in any pen", but I've chosen to err on the side of caution so far. Thoughts?