Parker 45 With 14 K Gold Nib

mitto

Hi, I think this was a fairly good design converter, it has the single sided squeeze bar. (Photo.)

Other types used a hoop squeeze bar, of course Quink cartridges, and the 2 types you can buy today, all fit the 45.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Matlock

• OcalaFlGuy

• Mike 59

I recently flirted with the idea of having a look at a 45, but the auction prices were a major turn-off quite frankly. Thought they may be less desirable and therefore relatively cheap. Not so. Another pen I will probably never get to see or use, though it's not really such a big deal as I have a 51 :D

I recently flirted with the idea of having a look at a 45, but the auction prices were a major turn-off quite frankly. Thought they may be less desirable and therefore relatively cheap. Not so. Another pen I will probably never get to see or use, though it's not really such a big deal as I have a 51 :D

Yeah, I've been surprised at what the prices for some of them have been. I scored a mid-1960s era GT Deluxe (with a juicy 14K M nib :thumbup:) in an antiques mall in NW PA a couple of summers ago for for princely sum of $10 US, so I keep expecting the ones on the Bay of Evil to be comparable prices -- and they're not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It is still possible to get minty Deluxes on Fleabay with gold nibs for $20-25 shipped. Like all other pens, you just have to be patient and hold to your price.

Here is the one I use everyday at work, I got it last year, $17 shipped.

PHOTO_20140916_134409.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

And to think Bob Speer had NOS TXs for $50 a few years back. I thought then $50 for a 45 was Crazy Talk.

I was wrngh.

IMO, you don't see near the nib swapping in the wild with a 45 that you do with say Esties. Parker didn't make Near the marketing schtick of the easily replaceable nib like Estiebrook did. I do believe the earlier the 45, the better chance for a Gold nib. I don't believe gold plated 45 nibs came out until the 80's or so, maybe even a bit later than that.

I'm still waiting for Indiana Jones and The Mountain of 45 Nibs. I know it's out there somewhere. (There certainly Should Be.)

There was some one off Diamond encrusted 45 monstrosity a couple years ago that went for like $800.

I have seen minty 45 Signets go for over $100 on The Bay. I wouldn't even argue that a $100 Signet with a Gold nib was a bad deal.

[EDIT] If you're looking, there are a couple Exceptional 45 Flighter and Signet deals on Fleabay right now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I'm always looking at Parker 45's, but how many should one person have? I'm up to 4 already and still trying to leave room for that elusive TX. One with a nice oblique nib could persuade me to part with some of my money

It is still possible to get minty Deluxes on Fleabay with gold nibs for $20-25 shipped. Like all other pens, you just have to be patient and hold to your price.

Here is the one I use everyday at work, I got it last year, $17 shipped.

That's kind of what I was thinking, and also the reason I was flirting with the idea (as an at work only pen).

Not seen anything that nice for that price yet. Not holding my breath either.

That's kind of what I was thinking, and also the reason I was flirting with the idea (as an at work only pen).

Not seen anything that nice for that price yet. Not holding my breath either.

Look up the 45s on the search function under Sold only. Parkers such as the Duofold and a few others routinely are listed for well over real prices, often double, but they rarely sell. I see the same pens listed over and over waiting for a buyer who doesn't know the market. It costs the seller nothing. A new buyer would assume that $500 or so was the going price but a quick check shows $300-400 is where most pens actually sell, assuming nothing special. Don't hesitate to make an offer even if it is not an option. My last International cost me $225 because I asked. Edited by chas0039

I would think a '45' is easily worth £20/$29, as it's difficult to think of a current pen that could match it's quality at that price.

It's not obvious from photos how comfortable it is to use, something many modern pens fall down on.

The step between the section and barrel is well above where the fingers grip the pen, and no threads to get in the way.

Hard to believe how long ago this one was designed, looks a good design today.

I would think a '45' is easily worth £20/$29, as it's difficult to think of a current pen that could match it's quality at that price.

It's not obvious from photos how comfortable it is to use, something many modern pens fall down on.

The step between the section and barrel is well above where the fingers grip the pen, and no threads to get in the way.

Hard to believe how long ago this one was designed, looks a good design today.

I call the Lamy 2000 (a pen that a lot of people like), an overgrown Parker 45.

Similar lines, but fatter and heavier.

If the could make the Lamy 2000 smaller like the Parker 45, that would be a pen I would be interested in. Till then, I'll keep using my 45s.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

It's a pity I don't live in a more populated part of the world. Then I may have had the chance to stumble across a 45. As it is, to spend $30 to $40 plus another $15 shipping on a mere point of interest is not really a great option, especially when the funds can go toward something a little better.

Parker 45's are still one of the cheapest of the "vintage" fountain pens out there - particularly the silver tail Flighters from the 70's which no-one seems to want anymore. I was recently looking for a couple of replacement nibs and got fed up with the comparatively high prices that nibs go for and found it easier and cheaper to buy a couple of old flighters to strip and clean out. A couple of weeks ago I watched a P45 Classic (with a steel nib) go for just £5.69, so they are out there if you look around.

As for Parker 45 TX's ... In the last 11 months (how long I have been collecting for now) I have only seen 3 appear on Ebay UK and all 3 of them were listed just as Parker 45's with no mention of the TX model. One of them was so badly photographed it was difficult to even tell that it was a pen and just as badly listed as simply an "old pen" that "doesnt work" and "may need a new ink". Hardly anyone bid on that one and 4 days later I was rather pleasantly surprised when an almost mint boxed TX arrived in the mail.

On the subject of nibs I have a feeling that the gold and stainless ones go right back, I know that the 1967 Coronets usually came with stainless nibs and that the 1969 P45 Student Pens were fitted with steel but at the end of the day it's so quick and easy to exchange nibs I'm pretty sure that a lot were exchanged at the point of sale.

Yes , you are right but I think it is a matter of personal choice. If I like somthing it wont bother me if I pay a bit extra.

Khan M. Ilyas

Also realize that the nib on the 45 is very easy changed.

So a pen that came with a SS or gold plated nib could be upgraded to a gold nib.

And for a used pen, you don't know what part swapping may have happened to the pen before you got it.

I would guess:

- gold pens would have gold nibs

- gold trim pens could have gold or gold plated or stainless steel nibs

Part of the reason I got such a great buy on my 45 Flighter is the ebay seller thought he had a gold plated stainless steel nib. I discovered once it arrived that it was a 14k version. My Flighter is a Made in USA, my other 45 a Made in Spain. (burgundy barrel)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Is the 45 really dead? Currently on ebay uk the far east sites are offering the parker 'GALAXY' rollerball and ballpen in red, black, blue and SS.

These look like late prod (post 2000 restyled) 45s to my eye, but I've not handled one. Are they current production or NOS? Even if they are not current then perhaps the tooling was shifted to india (and multiple sets of tooling probably exists as the 45 was made in so many countries).

They are indian made - so perhaps an indian made 45 FP will surface yet.

Re gold nibs we have to remember that 'gold' nibs were predominantly gold plated after 1980. If you put a real gold nib alongside a later plated nib then there is distinct color shift !

As for NOS 45 TXs - well I acquired one and an old tx and they both came with SS nibs. (bah - humbug !)

But bargains are still out there.

Ray

Re gold nibs we have to remember that 'gold' nibs were predominantly gold plated after 1980. If you put a real gold nib alongside a later plated nib then there is distinct color shift !

Ray

Also if you remove the nib it will be marked 14K or 10K with country of manufacture.

Peter

Also if you remove the nib it will be marked 14K or 10K with country of manufacture.

I have just finished cleaning up a Made in France Parker 45 Flighter Deluxe with gold ends - it came with a 18K medium nib

I have found that the gold nibs in earlier pens tend to be 14K or steel, and towards the end gold plated nibs are quite common. Never found a 10k nib though.

Edited by BCastle

My Parker 45 flighter is one of those made in Argentina with a similar (or the same?) clip as Parker 61 pens. It also has conic ends. It's difficult for me to date this pen, but for some characteristics of the clip my guess is that it must be of the late 1960s-early 70s. It sports a stainless steel? osmiridium? medium nib that scratches the paper as hell. The second one, also sporting a ss nib is coming from Argentina. Wonder if the Argentina production ever had gold nibs.

fpn_1415128835__013bis.jpg

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu