Parker 45 With 14 K Gold Nib

mitto

I do have a parker 45 GT with 14 k gold nib. I wanted to know what 45 models had the gold nib. Or the gold nib was rendemly fitted to Parker 45 pens?

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Matlock

• idazle

• Cryptos

I do have a parker 45 GT with 14 k gold nib. I wanted to know what 45 models had the gold nib. Or the gold nib was rendemly fitted to Parker 45 pens?

Parker 45s can be found with 14k, 10k and s/s nibs. Towards the end of production only s/s nibs were fitted.

Peter

Thank you Matlock. And yes, can be found in gold nibs too. That is why I have got one. But the question is in what models. I have more than 20 parker 45s. Some of them GTs. But have only one with gold nib? The one with the gold nib has the clip screw design different from the others. Any definitive information and/or suggestions and comments?

Khan M. Ilyas

More common earlier years. I have a 14k nib on my Flighter from the late 1960's.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thank you Matlock. And yes, can be found in gold nibs too. That is why I have got one. But the question is in what models. I have more than 20 parker 45s. Some of them GTs. But have only one with gold nib? The one with the gold nib has the clip screw design different from the others. Any definitive information and/or suggestions and comments?

The 45 had a very long run so there are many different designs. Also the pen was made in a number of countries (USA, Argentina, France and England). In the early days most GTs had gold nibs but this changed as time passed. As a matter of interest some 45s made in Argentina had 61 style clips.

Peter

Thanks a lot to both Runnin_Ute and Matlock. The 45 I am talking about is , however, "made in USA".

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

And what about the date coding of Parker 45s? How would one know what was the date of production of a certain parker 45?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The 45 was made between 1960 and 2007, date codes started around 1980. The pen was designed by Don Doman and was based on an Eversharp design. For more info go to Parker Penography on parkerpens.net hope this helps.

Peter

Also realize that the nib on the 45 is very easy changed.

So a pen that came with a SS or gold plated nib could be upgraded to a gold nib.

And for a used pen, you don't know what part swapping may have happened to the pen before you got it.

I would guess:

- gold pens would have gold nibs

- gold trim pens could have gold or gold plated or stainless steel nibs

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Although I haven't looked at old Parker 45 advertisements, I suspect that many models of the pen offered a choice between gold-plated steel nibs and gold nib, and possibly stainless steel nibs, at different prices. The pen made its debut in 1960 with gold nibs on all of the pens; it was a selling point that for only five dollars you could buy a pen with a gold nib. After that the pen went into many, many models and price levels.

I own a Parker 45 TX, a pen with matte blue metal cap and barrel, that came with a 14K gold nib. That model was made only in the UK, for a short time beginning in 1980. It cost distinctly more than the basic 45 model. There will have been myriad other possibilities. To my astonishment I read in some history of the pen that a solid-gold model was made in Germany. Or perhaps exclusively for Germany. What began as a bargain-priced offering turned into a pen of many specifications and prices and more than one country of origin.

Although I haven't looked at old Parker 45 advertisements, I suspect that many models of the pen offered a choice between gold-plated steel nibs and gold nib, and possibly stainless steel nibs, at different prices. The pen made its debut in 1960 with gold nibs on all of the pens; it was a selling point that for only five dollars you could buy a pen with a gold nib. After that the pen went into many, many models and price levels.

I own a Parker 45 TX, a pen with matte blue metal cap and barrel, that came with a 14K gold nib. That model was made only in the UK, for a short time beginning in 1980. It cost distinctly more than the basic 45 model. There will have been myriad other possibilities. To my astonishment I read in some history of the pen that a solid-gold model was made in Germany. Or perhaps exclusively for Germany. What began as a bargain-priced offering turned into a pen of many specifications and prices and more than one country of origin.

Yes 14K Fine Barley finish for the German market. That is one pen I would love to own.

Peter

I would love to own the Parker 45 TX, but I have only ever seen one for sale and it was too rich for my budget.

I recently bought 5 P45 gold nibs for $20 on ebay.com, so I suspect that people regularly swap nibs as it's so easy to do. My Consort SS with GT has a 10ct gold nib whereas my other 45's have 14ct gold nibs.

I suspect all early models started life with gold nibs

Could anyone add the picture or a link for that purpose of the 14 k fine Barley Finish produced for German market?

Khan M. Ilyas

I own two '45's, one dated '88', the other one no date marks,(obviously before 1980). Both 'Made in England'.

They are similar in dimensions, except for the top of the barrels, which are very different diameters.

Would be interesting to know if the chrome 'top' meant 'Before 1980' but it won't be that simple.

If it helps the OP mitto, the one on the left is 1988.

Edited by Mike 59

I would love to own the Parker 45 TX, but I have only ever seen one for sale and it was too rich for my budget.

I recently bought 5 P45 gold nibs for $20 on ebay.com, so I suspect that people regularly swap nibs as it's so easy to do. My Consort SS with GT has a 10ct gold nib whereas my other 45's have 14ct gold nibs.

I suspect all early models started life with gold nibs

And to think Bob Speer had NOS TXs for $50 a few years back. I thought then $50 for a 45 was Crazy Talk.

I was wrngh.

IMO, you don't see near the nib swapping in the wild with a 45 that you do with say Esties. Parker didn't make Near the marketing schtick of the easily replaceable nib like Estiebrook did. I do believe the earlier the 45, the better chance for a Gold nib. I don't believe gold plated 45 nibs came out until the 80's or so, maybe even a bit later than that.

I'm still waiting for Indiana Jones and The Mountain of 45 Nibs. I know it's out there somewhere. (There certainly Should Be.)

There was some one off Diamond encrusted 45 monstrosity a couple years ago that went for like $800.

I have seen minty 45 Signets go for over $100 on The Bay. I wouldn't even argue that a $100 Signet with a Gold nib was a bad deal.

[EDIT] If you're looking, there are a couple Exceptional 45 Flighter and Signet deals on Fleabay right now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I've found top line 45s with steels nibs (Insignias, Coronets, Harlequins...), and plain plastic 45s with gold nibs. I think it was buyer's choice.