Hi, My Name Is Chris And I Have A Problem...(Staying On Budget)

LamyOne

Hello Everyone,

I don't know about you guys - and perhaps this is the last place I should seek this type of advice, :D but I have a tough time keeping my pen spending on budget. I've considered handling the problem like the U.S. Government and just keep raising my debt ceiling - but for reasons I am unable to put my finger on, I don't find this a viable solution. :D

I try to keep my pen budget at $100-125 per month, (but rarely does a month go by when my spending isn't more like $200-225 a month). I can be disciplined with other things - but with pens and inks, I'm a weakling, (no surprise, look where I am posting this). For example, this month, (which was particularly bad):

Oct. 08: $118.60 to Goulet, (new Lamy Studio and three bottles of Lamy ink)

Oct. 10: $10 to Streetfair, (on e-bay), for a new Parker converter

For all intents and purposes, I should have stopped right here and now.... but I didn't. :blush:

Oct. 23: $66.00 to ASA Pens, (two new Athletes with special nibs)

I went for this because I had a sudden interest in Indian eyedropper pens and ASA came highly recommended. He had small quantities listed still available - so I figured I better pounce while I can - who knows when they'll be back in stock - if it works anything like the Indian pens from Noodler's, which can be out of stock for months on end. I HAD TO ACT RIGHT AWAY, I'M TELLING YA! What choice did I have? Any reasonable person can understand that, right? :rolleyes:

Oct. 25: $138.25 to Pisuke2005 for a Sailor 1911 Standard, (black with gold trim), fitted with a Broad 21k solid gold nib.

YES! A 21k gold nib on the Standard 1911, for only $125 - where else are you going to find that?! :puddle: The unique variation, along with his outstanding reputation clinched the deal. :)

That is a total of $332.85 - I didn't go over-budget - I BLEW IT AWAY!!

So, there it is. My sad story. Now, my question is: how do you guys manage to stay on budget with your pen collecting?

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LamyOne

• Sandy1

• owend

• WilsonCQB1911

Maybe you should limit the number of pens you own!

I know. I know, hear me out: Say you set your number to 7 (as that's a pretty nice number, magic and prime and all), then you can never (never-ever, never-never; and you have to be strict on that with yourself) own more than 7 pens at the same time.

So then, if the bug bites you, and you have to have a new pen, well, then one in your collection has to go. And it has to go first, before the new resident pen arrives!

This way at least some money can come back, and also you limit your impulse-buys, as now they come with a grim consequence.

Edit: Your cat is beautiful.

Edited by mike.jane

I understand completely. Unfortunately I am unable to give any tips to slow down the purchases and or stick to a budget. Good Luck!

Pretend you're a Government (doesn't matter which one). If you go over budget just set a new, higher, budget and blame "external factors", eg exchange rates, inflation, wage rates or anything else.

In the beginning there where some impulse buys, now I think it over a couple of times.

Recently I stopped buying pens that regularly, until I complete my final collection, and then stop.

I try to pool my monthly pen budgets, so that I have more money to spend. With more money at hand, I target more expensive pens. The more expensive pens are the more I think things through.

So now I am buying less but more expensive pens. But I am keeping on budget, sort of.

Edited by Marlon

Look at it this way: Recommended retail price for a Sailor 1911 mid-size is $195, therefore you SAVED $70!

YES! This was my way of thinking too. :lol:

Maybe you should limit the number of pens you own!

I know. I know, hear me out: Say you set your number to 7 (as that's a pretty nice number, magic and prime and all), then you can never (never-ever, never-never; and you have to be strict on that with yourself) own more than 7 pens at the same time.

So then, if the bug bites you, and you have to have a new pen, well, then one in your collection has to go. And it has to go first, before the new resident pen arrives!

This way at least some money can come back, and also you limit your impulse-buys, as now they come with a grim consequence.

Edit: Your cat is beautiful.

Hello Mike.Jane,

Actually, this idea has possibilities; I could freeze my purchasing now and not buy another pen until I sell one of equal value to the one I want to buy. :) (Although, I would prefer to sell a Metropolitan to buy another 1911). :D

Thank you; I call him Boo. :)

In the beginning there where some impulse buys, now I think it over a couple of times.

Recently I stopped buying pens that regularly, until I complete my final collection, and then stop.

I try to pool my monthly pen budgets, so that I have more money to spend. With more money at hand, I target more expensive pens. The more expensive pens are the more I think things through.

So now I am buying less but more expensive pens. But I am keeping on budget, sort of.

This is another idea to ponder. I have wondered, "what if I stop all spending to save up for something grand?" Something like a Mont Blanc or a Nakaya, (like Waski is doing). It kind of goes against my grain to spend a lot of money for one pen; however, when I look over my collection; I'm probably a little over half-way there already. A Nakaya for sure and I'm closing in on MB territory. :D

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Oh hell demon cat. Well I just make a goal list and have 2 next options.

Saving up for:

Impulse buy if on sale:

I currently have it at:

Saving up for: PC743FA

Impulse buy if on sale: PCH912COUS

#Nope

It does come to an end naturally I think. For me I went through a period of buying left and right. Then selling, then buying some more. Now I'm not super excited about more pens. I have a small stable that I like, and I'm good with that. Same with hinks for the most part. You are just in the buying frenzy, honeymoon phase.

Hi,

Well, I think it is a very good thing indeed that you do have a budget, so you know that going over budget is not a good thing, especially as you do not care to raise the budget, hence spend less on other things, or increase your disposable income, or go to debtors prison then be transported to the antipodes for years of indentured service.

I reckon just be patient and prudent about what is purchased - know what you really do want.

Though I certainly made numerous purchases out of curiosity that weren't always as expected, what I learned helped me with subsequent purchases. There might be a flurry of activity as one goes about learning, but that should settle down, yet one can certainly develop expensive tastes along the way.

So far I seem immune to the 'collector' bug, so I'm not driven to assemble complete series/sets or acquire items on the basis of rarity. For that I am most grateful.

And one can always write to Santa...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Ok, you exceded your budget 3x. You can't buy pens the next two months: just enjoy those you bought this month.

How do you do that? Easy: our "problem" is not pens, It's internet.

Do not enter the bay, do not enter the stores, do not enter classifieds... If you do not see that bargain, you can not buy it.

Ok, you exceded your budget 3x. You can't buy pens the next two months: just enjoy those you bought this month.

Do not enter the bay, do not enter the stores, do not enter classifieds... If you do not see that bargain, you can not buy it.

Agreed. Now that you've spent more than you expected, enjoy what you bought for those 2 months. :D

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Drop your membership in the Pen of the Week in the Mail Club.

Do the same for the Pen of the Month.

Chase the nib. What nibs do you have....what nibs do you need....no problem there is @45 nibs of this and that width and flex one Must Have.

Do that in the Pen of the Quarter Club....One gets such a better pen in that Club, with a Grand Nib. You have all that time to study nibs, and if that make and model is really worth it...if modern and with the normal second class modern nib.

Buy Vintage....old used pens are cheaper and on gets top of yesterday's line.

Ink....sigh....for every three inks you buy, buy a good to better paper. Only a couple of Cokes or cups of Starbucks coffee more than regular paper.

Budget.....a mixed drink is a bottle of ink. A six pack of something drinkable is too.

Coffee and donuts are bad for you....don't need Starbucks, to you need to be seen???? take a thermos. Save on the brownies.

Coke is bad for you....thermos of home water is a bottle of ink and that all in all is the famous Ink Diet.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The only thing sad about your story Chris is that I couldn't join you in all those wonderful adventurous purchases. Enjoy!!!

It does come to an end naturally I think. For me I went through a period of buying left and right. Then selling, then buying some more. Now I'm not super excited about more pens. I have a small stable that I like, and I'm good with that. Same with hinks for the most part. You are just in the buying frenzy, honeymoon phase.

Hi,

Well, I think it is a very good thing indeed that you do have a budget, so you know that going over budget is not a good thing, especially as you do not care to raise the budget, hence spend less on other things, or increase your disposable income, or go to debtors prison then be transported to the antipodes for years of indentured service.

I reckon just be patient and prudent about what is purchased - know what you really do want.

Though I certainly made numerous purchases out of curiosity that weren't always as expected, what I learned helped me with subsequent purchases. There might be a flurry of activity as one goes about learning, but that should settle down, yet one can certainly develop expensive tastes along the way.

So far I seem immune to the 'collector' bug, so I'm not driven to assemble complete series/sets or acquire items on the basis of rarity. For that I am most grateful.

And one can always write to Santa...

Bye,

S1

These are valid observations, I think. I may still be what you call the "Honeymoon Phase." I think in time, my tastes will refine, (although, personally, I think I've picked some really nice pens :) ), and I'll be more selective. :) Some pens were bought solely out of curiosity - like the Indian ED's and the two Levenger Obsidian True Writers that I forgot to include above, (when Levenger was having a blow-out sale during the Columbus Day weekend). :D

Now, sending a fountain pen written letter to Santa - now there is an idea I can sink my teeth into. :lol:

YES! Quite right! Quite right! And fairly easy to do - save for one thing - I'd probably have to include FPN - because most of my dangerous ideas are hatched in this place.

Really, FPN should have header banners reading: :excl: THIS SITE CONTAINS EXTREMELY SUGGESTIVE MATERIAL AND LANGUAGE! :excl:

Drop your membership in the Pen of the Week in the Mail Club.

Do the same for the Pen of the Month.

Chase the nib. What nibs do you have....what nibs do you need....no problem there is @45 nibs of this and that width and flex one Must Have.

Do that in the Pen of the Quarter Club....One gets such a better pen in that Club, with a Grand Nib. You have all that time to study nibs, and if that make and model is really worth it...if modern and with the normal second class modern nib.

Buy Vintage....old used pens are cheaper and on gets top of yesterday's line.

Ink....sigh....for every three inks you buy, buy a good to better paper. Only a couple of Cokes or cups of Starbucks coffee more than regular paper.

Budget.....a mixed drink is a bottle of ink. A six pack of something drinkable is too.

Coffee and donuts are bad for you....don't need Starbucks, to you need to be seen???? take a thermos. Save on the brownies.

Coke is bad for you....thermos of home water is a bottle of ink and that all in all is the famous Ink Diet.

Yes, reworking and re-arranging the budget is something to think about, but I think being more patient and more focused is your best advice. :D Speaking of chasing nibs - I would love to get a nice flex nib and for that, I will probably have to look to vintage - a strange and scary place... to me anyways. :unsure: There would be a long delay in purchasing anything, just for all the research I'd have to do first. For example, I had a P51 Aerometric, but I was crazy enough not to like it. :huh:

The only thing sad about your story Chris is that I couldn't join you in all those wonderful adventurous purchases. Enjoy!!!

Art, I wish I'da known - the next time I go out cruising sites and shops, you can ride shotgun! :lol:

Thanks all,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

Serious answer: Do you have retirement savings such as an IRA - or maybe a 529 college savings fund for your children if you have them? It has to be something that is not automatically deducted from your paycheck? If not, do some research about the finances of retirement. After the shock from that wears off, do some more research and open a good one that performs well over time. If you already have such an account, you're ahead. Now here's what I do: every time I think about buying a pen, I think about my retirement plans and I check the balance on my accounts, and then I think about all the cool pens and stuff I already have and how much I have spent on them. Then I ask myself if I really need that new one. If the answer is yes, I do it again. If the answer is yes again, then and only then I'll buy the pen. It's a matter of priorities - do I want to buy pens now and work at Walmart when I'm 80? Do I want my grandkids to have an education?

Another tip: Don't think of it as a monthly budget. That makes it too easy for you to spend it. Think of it as a running total. How much have total have you spent on pens so far. The amount I've spent in the last few years is scary. $125 a month is $1500 a year. In ten years, that's FIFTEEN THOUSAND dollars. Figure in daily compounding interest (or growth in a reasonably good mutual fund), and your talking about the price of a new car, or a downpayment on a modest condominium or a really nice trip abroad, a or a couple of years' worth of tuition to decent university... you get the idea.

(The Goulets are nice people and deserve to have a good life, but so do I, and so do you.)

Anyway, that's what I do. I hope you find it helpful.

Edited by CoolFool

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

Serious answer: Do you have retirement savings such as an IRA - or maybe a 529 college savings fund for your children if you have them? It has to be something that is not automatically deducted from your paycheck? If not, do some research about the finances of retirement. After the shock from that wears off, do some more research and open a good one that performs well over time. If you already have such an account, you're ahead. Now here's what I do: every time I think about buying a pen, I think about my retirement plans and I check the balance on my accounts, and then I think about all the cool pens and stuff I already have and how much I have spent on them. Then I ask myself if I really need that new one. If the answer is yes, I do it again. If the answer is yes again, then and only then I'll buy the pen. It's a matter of priorities - do I want to buy pens now and work at Walmart when I'm 80? Do I want my grandkids to have an education?

Another tip: Don't think of it as a monthly budget. That makes it too easy for you to spend it. Think of it as a running total. How much have total have you spent on pens so far. The amount I've spent in the last few years is scary. $125 a month is $1500 a year. In ten years, that's FIFTEEN THOUSAND dollars. Figure in daily compounding interest (or growth in a reasonably good mutual fund), and your talking about the price of a new car, or a downpayment on a modest condominium or a really nice trip abroad, a or a couple of years' worth of tuition to decent university... you get the idea.

(The Goulets are nice people and deserve to have a good life, but so do I, and so do you.)

Anyway, that's what I do. I hope you find it helpful.

Hello CoolFool,

Wow. This is by far the best advice yet - it really puts everything into a clear perspective. Sobering, in fact. Thank you. :)

While I haven't any children to worry about - I do have my retirement to think about - and time and inflation both have veracious appetites.

Thank you much and God bless,

Christopher

1. Never pay for your hobby (pens/ink/paper) on credit. Save up for the pen(s) you want.

2. Buy only one pen at a time. If you buy multiple pens, you will actually enjoy them less; some will be sidelined.

3. After a purchase, impose a 2-3 month moratorium on additional purchases. Enjoy what you have just obtained.

4. Don't haunt the classifieds, eBay, pen shops (online or otherwise) until you have the money saved for a purchase. It's like hanging out in a bakery when you're on a diet.

5. Change your focus from acquiring to actually using your pens: write letters, journal, practice calligraphy, draw, write that book...

P.S.

One thing not mentioned is that new acquisitions can be financed by selling things that you do not care for, or are rarely used, or have served their purpose (satisfied curiosity / learning.)

For example, in my quest for a pen with a vintage flex nib that suits me, I must have bought a dozen, then sold most of them.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

1. Never pay for your hobby (pens/ink/paper) on credit. Save up for the pen(s) you want.

2. Buy only one pen at a time. If you buy multiple pens, you will actually enjoy them less; some will be sidelined.

3. After a purchase, impose a 2-3 month moratorium on additional purchases. Enjoy what you have just obtained.

4. Don't haunt the classifieds, eBay, pen shops (online or otherwise) until you have the money saved for a purchase. It's like hanging out in a bakery when you're on a diet.

5. Change your focus from acquiring to actually using your pens: write letters, journal, practice calligraphy, draw, write that book...

Also good advice.

When I really started down the rabbit hole in late 2012, I was in a position that outside of my debit card, I did not have a credit card. That was in part due to some use of credit card(s) over time combined with an extended period of unemployment. We had the debit card, which I do not use for my pen hobby except in rare instances.

I do have a pre-paid Walmart Visa card. Costs $3 to put money on it and there is a $3 a month fee. I try to save up bits here and there and then put money on the card before making a purchase and only enough to pay for my purchase - maybe a little more, but not much. This is how I make MOST of my pen/ink/paper purchases. I still do it this way, even though I now have one or two cards that could be used. Small limits on them currently discourages that.

I believe I have only purchased more than one pen at a time from the same seller once. And then the funds came from a different budget of funds. I have made several purchases over a short period of time, but because I limit myself in the price of the pen generally to under $100 and mostly under $50 it doesn't hurt so bad. The most I have spent purchasing pens in a single month was about $90. That was May 2014. Inks and papers etc? Not a large number - not sure what the real number is.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain