Conkin Nozac

pen lady

This Spring my husband "sumgai'd" these two Conklin Nozacs. one made in Toledo, the other in Chicago and I'm writing to ask for some advice/information about their history. They've just come back from Ron Zorn's repair facility, (one had major, major problems) but my question is this. I've read that Conklin moved to Chicago in 1938 and downgraded their quality. However both of these pens are piston-fillers with cushion-point nibs, the Chicago one is slightly smaller and has a herringbone section, much like the Toledo made ones I've seen illustrated. Am I right in assuming that the Chicago Herringbone was made soon after the move (1938) and that the other one with a plain amber barrel section dates from about 1934?

Question2. What would any of you pay for them please? Both have fine, fairly flexible nibs and, of course were serviced/repaired by Ron Zorn. (who, btw, has given me permission to use his name when I try to sell them at the Toronto Pen Show on Nov. 2nd)

post-12077-0-68631400-1414182030_thumb.jpg

post-12077-0-03553900-1414182059_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Happy Harry

• Glenn Atkins

• pen lady

• Apothic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really don't know for certain, but I have a vague recollection that there were so many nibs made that they were able to keep attaching them to pens even when the company had upped sticks and was making pen bodies and innards that weren't quite up to scratch with the old ones. Although I have to say, both of these ones look rather nice. I think the later pens with the old cushion points were criticized for the sloppy striped celluloid's and rattly innards.

I can't advise you on price as it seems to me that they can sell at totally random prices. I've seen them go for very little money and a nice flexible nib and I've seen others go for a serious amount of moolah; although that has been through recognised and well known restorers. I've bought similar - although not exactly the same - for around €60. Would be utterly rapturous to give you a tenner for the pair though ;)

Oh I'm sure you would. :lticaptd: Sad to say, one of the pens needed a huge amount of repair and the other one wasn't in great shape either. Spending the money was necessary because neither could be sold in their "as found" condition.

Edited by pen lady

Both clips look the clips look similar, if this is the case then the Toledo is later than '34. My understanding is that the first Chicago models had a very Toledo feel being basically from already made parts, the quality of these is generally high.

Chicago Nozacs are rare and by far the most valuable of the two, you would need to do some fairly solid research to determine a fair price.

Very nice pens! Do either of them have Word Gauge? 5m or 7m? I wouldn't take less than $160 for the top one and $200 for the larger bottom pictured pen. That's base and without knowing some information. What major damage are we talking about, and for which one of these pens?

www.pen-deco.com

More to the point has anyone seen a Chi-Nozac sell recently? If so what did it make? Comparatives would seem few and far between and $200 just sounds way to low, I can't quiet convince myself the markets that flat. With nothing other than "feeling" to work off I'm thinking at least $500 + but likewise can't see it at the $1000 mark.

More to the point has anyone seen a Chi-Nozac sell recently? If so what did it make? Comparatives would seem few and far between and $200 just sounds way to low, I can't quiet convince myself the markets that flat. With nothing other than "feeling" to work off I'm thinking at least $500 + but likewise can't see it at the $1000 mark.

If you re-read my post I was using $200 as the bottom line. More information can swing prices a lot! I have bought and sold Nozacs and have a couple in my collection. Color and size are two major factors that will set a price.

For instance the difference in price between a Nozac 5M and 7M word gauge is BIG.

www.pen-deco.com

Real Nozacs in any condition are pretty valuable. IIRC, the last time I saw 5M word gauge pens for sale, they were in the $600 range, and that's one of the more common variants.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Hi there, and thanks for all the information. Unfortunately, neither pen has "word-gauge" markings, both are 14 sided, the smaller, Chicago made one has a herringbone design in the transparent part of the barrel - hard to see though, it's badly ambered. Ron Zorn only had to service the piston mechanism on that one. The larger Toledo made pen was a basket case! Thank goodness no cracks, but he had to restore the piston, stretch the barrel (the cap didn't screw on), there were issues with the section and the nib was bent.

We would like to actually sell them at the Scriptus Show in Toronto next weekend and given that neither is an exciting colour, I've priced them at the lower end of what I've seen them sell for. Now all we have to do is get a Conklin Nozac fan with money through those doors!

BTW Ron has given me permission to use his name and stellar reputation in the FP community as the restorer to help sell these pens. He's more than just an A-OK guy!

Edited by pen lady

If you re-read my post I was using $200 as the bottom line. More information can swing prices a lot! I have bought and sold Nozacs and have a couple in my collection. Color and size are two major factors that will set a price.

For instance the difference in price between a Nozac 5M and 7M word gauge is BIG.

I don't need to re read your post, I simply don't agree with your bottom line being a relevant starting point. So how many Chicago nozacs have you sold or have in your collection? In this case the Chicago imprint is the factor and I rule out it being a Senior size because it's the smaller pen. Comparatives ( ie Chicago Nozacs) are hard to find, the two I'm aware of one is asking ~$800 and one (7M) ~$1400. This lack of comparatives ( because these aren't common...verging on rare) makes pricing/valuing somewhat difficult. If you can provide some relevant recent sales of Chicago nozacs then it would be beneficial.

I don't need to re read your post, I simply don't agree with your bottom line being a relevant starting point. So how many Chicago nozacs have you sold or have in your collection? In this case the Chicago imprint is the factor and I rule out it being a Senior size because it's the smaller pen. Comparatives ( ie Chicago Nozacs) are hard to find, the two I'm aware of one is asking ~$800 and one (7M) ~$1400. This lack of comparatives ( because these aren't common...verging on rare) makes pricing/valuing somewhat difficult. If you can provide some relevant recent sales of Chicago nozacs then it would be beneficial.

I agree to disagree about your estimated SELL prices.

I guess we're in two different realms here. Yes, Chicago imprint is an amazing find. I probably wouldn't even sell that pen. But if pen lady doesn't want to wait a year or two (longer?) then they'll need to be realistic, especially at a pen show when the average person isn't looking for a 1000 dollar pen.

Pen Lady- you have two great pens. My advice would be to keep the Chicago imprinted pen in a locked case and to use the other one. I am not of any help here.

www.pen-deco.com

Any idea what this one might be worth?

Thanks.

Glenn

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/GEAtkins/Pens/Conklin%20Nozac/333EF9E3-F07E-4570-A23A-4A4849A1DAF3.jpg

Thanks.

Glenn

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/GEAtkins/Pens/Conklin%20Nozac/333EF9E3-F07E-4570-A23A-4A4849A1DAF3.jpg

Glen

Probably a lot more to you than to anyone else. You've shared knowledge through this pen on your blog, to me that is invaluable.

www.pen-deco.com

Glen

Probably a lot more to you than to anyone else. You've shared knowledge through this pen on your blog, to me that is invaluable.

Thank you for your kind comment. It really means a lot.

Glenn

Thanks.

Glenn

Thanks for asking an easy question !! We can't even have a consensus on a plain black one....

Anyway a two tone cushion point nib isn't common either, looks a standard size(?) and again comparisons are lacking making it rather hit and miss. Still I'd think a $600-$800 pen if your not looking for a quick sale which as Pen Deco points out lowers the asking price and doesn't always reflect true value.

Be aware it's a fairly specialized area as Chicago Conklins in general aren't highly sought ( the vast majority are poorer quality) nor that high quality ones are around, while rare it does need a serious collector to recognize this.

Thanks for asking an easy question !! We can't even have a consensus on a plain black one....

Anyway a two tone cushion point nib isn't common either, looks a standard size(?) and again comparisons are lacking making it rather hit and miss. Still I'd think a $600-$800 pen if your not looking for a quick sale which as Pen Deco points out lowers the asking price and doesn't always reflect true value.

Be aware it's a fairly specialized area as Chicago Conklins in general aren't highly sought ( the vast majority are poorer quality) nor that high quality ones are around, while rare it does need a serious collector to recognize this.

It has a Toledo nib. I wonder if it was one of the first Chicago's as you mentioned earlier. The quality and condition of this pen are very high.

Thanks for your input.

Glenn

All of these I've seen carry Toledo nibs, a lot came with the purchase of the company. No doubt an early Chicago pen, it didn't take long for the quality to decline. Note a lot of Gliders ( a rather ordinary pen) carry Toledo nibs as well so no shortage of them but a two tone Cushion point is special imo.

A lot of Toledo pieces in these early ones (clips, internals , maybe some caps and barrels seen in Toledo colors) that came with the purchase.

Edited by Happy Harry

I must have 20+ Nozacs as they are my favorite vintage pen to use. They are very risky to buy on ebay unrestored, because if the piston is frozen , the aluminum shaft can get bound up if someone tries to turn it. That means an entirely new filling system is required that pretty much requires a second Nozac to repair.

But I take my chances and buy them because I love them, and then I have duplicates and try to sell them at shows. This has to be the single hardest pen there is to sell, I have no idea why. On Ebay, I find myself fighting around $450 for an unrestored 7m, and when I try to get $550 for a restored one at a show, I barely get a sniff. A 5M? It might as well not exist on the table. Black? Forget it completely.

Point is, we can always say what they are "worth", but frankly it doesn't mean a hill of beans if there is no buyer out there to pay it. They are absolutely fabulous pens, and I think you'd do better to sell them on this site where you can probably have a wider audience of aficionados than the TWSBI buyers at the shows. If you sell at a dealer, then the $150/$200 probably isn't far off.

They are relatively difficult to restore as well. In fact, I think that green one above was the second or third pen I ever restored. I know the first three were an aero 51, a genuine DuoVac, and that Conklin.

Glenn

Edited by GAtkins

This Spring my husband "sumgai'd" these two Conklin Nozacs. one made in Toledo, the other in Chicago and I'm writing to ask for some advice/information about their history. They've just come back from Ron Zorn's repair facility, (one had major, major problems) but my question is this. I've read that Conklin moved to Chicago in 1938 and downgraded their quality. However both of these pens are piston-fillers with cushion-point nibs, the Chicago one is slightly smaller and has a herringbone section, much like the Toledo made ones I've seen illustrated. Am I right in assuming that the Chicago Herringbone was made soon after the move (1938) and that the other one with a plain amber barrel section dates from about 1934?

Question2. What would any of you pay for them please? Both have fine, fairly flexible nibs and, of course were serviced/repaired by Ron Zorn. (who, btw, has given me permission to use his name when I try to sell them at the Toronto Pen Show on Nov. 2nd)

Back on topic. Those are really nice pens pen lady. I would consider keeping them.

Glenn