Phantom Of The Opera Wax Seal - Is This Possible?

SunFly

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here on this site.

I am a snail-mail writer, so things related to snail-mailing interest me greatly. And there is one wax seal stamp that has been keeping me awake for days.

I came across the movie "The Phantom of the Opera" (2004), and while watching it, the wax seal stamp that Erik (the phantom) used intrigued me. It's a skull, but it's 3D.

Is it possible to make such wax seal stamp? I asked the person whom I went to make a few wax seals before, but she said it's not possible for her to make it that 3D. She said that someone must have "sculpted" the skull from wax instead of stamping it.

Can anyone with seal stamp experience share their knowledge?

post-117449-0-14200000-1414162060_thumb.png

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SunFly

• saskia_madding

• RMN

• siopaopei

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a wax seal that's really deep. not that deep, but deep. Honestly. it's completely impractical. The amount of wax needed to get even a remotely good imprint is crazy! not only that, it's hard to get the wax to go vertically like that in order to get such a deep impression. the more hot wax you pour on, the wider the wax dollop is on the envelope. It doesn't expand upwards with more hot wax, just outwards.

That was what I thought too, Saskia; that it will use a ridiculous amount of wax and it might be quite impossible to gather the wax vertically. Perhaps I should send the screenshots of the movie scene. Erik made it seem pretty effortless when he stamped that envelope. And the blob of wax he poured onto the letter was not much either.

Maybe the theory that it's sculpted instead of stamped could be true. The movie production people do magic all the time, after all.

Bummer. But I do hope one day a seal stamp like that could be created.

post-117449-0-38200000-1414168384_thumb.png

post-117449-0-41982800-1414168395_thumb.png

post-117449-0-25975800-1414168408_thumb.png

post-117449-0-48931200-1414168420_thumb.png

The only way I can think of making that possible is if there's melted wax already in the seal before you put it on the wax that's on the envelope. A very messy situation, I would guess.

You would have to use a two-step process. First, fill the cavity in the seal with melted sealing wax and let it cool and become solid. Then apply a puddle of melted wax to the envelope and stamp it with the cooled sculpture.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

If you applied a salve to the inside of the seal first, maybe. there's a stamp pad specifically used to help the wax and seal separate, but you'd maybe have to use a q-tip to get it off the pad and apply it to the inside of the seal.

Like Paddler says, it should be a sort of moulding process.

However, It would not be acceptable to the postal services. It could work for a hand delivered item, or something you store in a vault.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The theories that Saskia and siopaopei pointed out popped to my head as soon as I saw these pictures. Both very good guesses, but as Erik tilts the stamp, the melted wax previously inserted into the 3D stamp should of run out...my guess is still the sculpting theory.

If you drip in the wax in the mould, let it cool down, then drip wax on the paper and put then "seal" in the hot wax on the paper it would bond, is my guess.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I read the article from the Worthpoint site, and it has been mentioned that the process is a blend of like Siopaopei's and Paddler's theories.

Quote from the article:

"This is intended primarily as an objec d'art, though it can also be used to make actual wax seals. In the photographs you can see a sample which was produced with this stamp. Be aware, however, that in order to make seals with this device, you must pour the melted wax into the stamp UPSIDE DOWN. T was certainly a bit of movie FX magic going on when the Phantom used his seal in the film. Gravity would prevent such a stamp from working in real life. But it works satisfactorily in a procedure I will describe in detail to the winning bidder."

post-117449-0-03984000-1414195738_thumb.jpg

post-117449-0-55588500-1414195743.jpg

Where can I purchase one of these how can I buy one does anyone know where they are...?????

Unfortunately, this is an art object that will never be produced commercially.

This is the quote from the artisans who collaborated to make that seal stamp on ebay:

"This project required a surprising amount of time and effort, not anticipated by us. It is highly unlikely that more will be produced in the future."