Daniel Dafoe We Question

daddyburns

Hi folks

Although I've not seen it 'in the flesh', the Daniel Dafoe looks outstanding.

I've currently got a meisterstuck and starwalker fountain pen, i tend to mainly use the meisterstuck. My ballpoint doesn't get a look in.

Anyway, my question is really around the Writer Edition ranges and their value. I've noted that the DD FP has a run of 10,000 (I think). Because of their limited run, do they tend to increase in value over time and if so will using and inking the pen cause much De-value?

I don't need another FP for everyday use but this defao has really taken my eye

Cheers :-)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daddyburns

• zaddick

• s5blitzer

• gerigo

If you're buying it for investment purposes, I don't think it's really a good idea. Most people who buy the pen in the secondary market will be primarily the same crowd MB wants to market the pen to when they introduced it new. Most people who are casual users and people who buy pens for gifting will probably want very iconic MB designs. You have to be under the rock as a collector to not have heard of the Writers Edition series these days.

When the series first started all those years ago, it was not as well known. Also the pen that were first introduced were remakes or replicas of older Montblanc models. Therefore if you look at the secondary market, the Agatha Christie and the Hemingway were the most valuable. The rest don't see a lot of appreciation. These days, the designs are newer, more progressive and perhaps the most experimental of all of the limited edition pens MB makes. In that way, I think it's also going to have a lot less of a demand, at least in the near future. If you see the designs that are quite modern and alternative like the Kafka and the Gertrude Stein don't have great resale value. I can't say of course what would happen 10-20 years from now.

... do they tend to increase in value over time and if so will using and inking the pen cause much De-value?

They can hold value fairly well, but an increase it not likely and pens generally make bad investments. And yes, inking the pen will definitely drop the resale value, often dramatically for many years after issue - up to 50% of the unused value in some instances. These are just general guides from my experience in the US. Different pens, different markets, and different points in time may give you different results.

10,000 is not really limited. Value will depend on if people in the future find the pen desirable and are willing to pay for it. I have pens that are limited to 8, 24, 30 pens. I can often get them for far less than retail, but none of those are MB. Right now, the market is good for reselling MB pens, but it might not stay that way in the future as tastes change.

There is nothing wrong with buying to collect or buying to use. But buying to make a real profit (a rate of return, not just maintaining nominal value) is a good way to lose money (though likely less than with other brands).

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

WE FPs are not for investment but I have not seen too many (new in box) gone down from their original prices. They usually hold close to their original selling price.

Not sure about used WEs pricing. Maybe someone else can share their experience.

No, generally, they don't really hold their value. The Hemingway and Christies seem to be immune; all others have tanked.

Too many pens; too little writing.

10,000 is not very limited considering the size of the market for $1,000 fountain pens. Even the majority of the POA editions, with runs of 4,810 and 888, seem to be easily obtainable without any premium.

If you like it, buy it. Collecting can be fun, even if you're unlikely to profit off of it.

No, generally, they don't really hold their value. The Hemingway and Christies seem to be immune; all others have tanked.

I think Dumas and Verne have held value well.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Ok, cheers for the feedback guys.

I'm going to pick one up, it's a lovely looking piece :-)

DB

The WEs are all completely different and the market treats them as such. Hemingway, Christie and imperial dragon have done excellently, Proust, Verne and Dumas (to a lesser degree) well and others lost value. Inflation is a collector's friend here. The earlier WEs were sold for just over $400 - now $1100 for a new WE FP. So to only get $600 isn't that bad if you paid $400 for it 20 years ago. WE FPs go for $550 (Kafka) - $2500 (Hemi) depending on their collect-ability and you may get one cheaper in poor condition without a box. I've also no recollection of a Gertrude Stein WE :-)

Montblanc POA Series