Now Fountain Pens Are Forbidden Objects

GatzBcn

The last week I sent an OMAS pen to John Mottishaw for repair from Mexico. As the package didn't seem to arrive, I called Estafeta, the courier that I used, just to be informed that the package I send was a "forbidden object". Of course, I checked the list of forbidden objects and neither the pen nor the materials of the pen were in it. Also, I have used DHL to send another pen for repair before without problems. It is just unbelievable.

Now I wonder what will happen with my pen, will I get it back? Will, at least, get the insurance for which I paid extra back?

I am really angry right now.

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GatzBcn

• senzen

• freewheelingvagabond

• londonbooks

That is sad to hear, hope it gets sorted out soon. It is impossible to believe that a fountain pen could be a 'forbidden object'.

That really is a sad situation when a person can't have a fountain pen in their possession. Sounds like a Human Rights abuse and something should be done. Sorry I can't help you with this problem.

Sounds like a convenient reason to steal the pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I heard from a friend in Mexico city that there is a lot of stealing in postal system there. She works for a US company there. It got so bad, they have packages shipped to their other site in Florida, and someone periodically transports them personally to the Mexico city office!

I heard from a friend in Mexico city that there is a lot of stealing in postal system there. She works for a US company there. It got so bad, they have packages shipped to their other site in Florida, and someone periodically transports them personally to the Mexico city office!

Estafeta is a private courier service like DHL, but the postal service is pretty dismal in any case; there are a lot of customs taxes and rules between Mexico and anywhere else, it's not necessarily theft; I wouldn't have sent anything to or from Mexico by courier, I get everything through friends; cumbersome but it works. A few years ago my sister was moving back from another country and had all her CDs scratched on purpose by customs as they weren't allowed in. The good old days.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

That is sad to hear, hope it gets sorted out soon. It is impossible to believe that a fountain pen could be a 'forbidden object'.

That really is a sad situation when a person can't have a fountain pen in their possession. Sounds like a Human Rights abuse and something should be done. Sorry I can't help you with this problem.

I still have to hear back from them. They told me to wait 48-72 hours... so I guess by Tuesday :(.

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop

Sounds like a convenient reason to steal the pen.

They think it was some sort of mini spear?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to this option: they saw the pen was insured in $360, meaning it was expensive, so they stole it. Either that, or it "fell" and got damaged and it was easier to say "it was forbidden, it is your fault".

Funny thing... spears are actually allowed. Even if it was this case, customs are known to be very eager to open packages, aren't they?

Estafeta is a private courier service like DHL, but the postal service is pretty dismal in any case; there are a lot of customs taxes and rules between Mexico and anywhere else, it's not necessarily theft; I wouldn't have sent anything to or from Mexico by courier, I get everything through friends; cumbersome but it works. A few years ago my sister was moving back from another country and had all her CDs scratched on purpose by customs as they weren't allowed in. The good old days.

Actually, from what I heard, about 5 years ago there was a big remodelation of the national post office after many, many complaints and distrust of the service. I have used it many, many times (probably more than 50) and I have never had any problem (apart from the occasional delay). But I used a courier and, even if it's Mexican, it still should work as good as DHL, UPS or FedEx.

How terrible about your sister. People can be so mean. I had received before by courier and I had shipped also using FedEx, Estafeta and DHL and it worked perfectly. I guess, I wasn't lucky and I got a bad customs agent that liked too much the pen :(.

Very sorry for your misfortune. I hope that -somehow- this all turns out well for you.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

You may have neglected to pay "la mordida" to Estafeta. Sorry about your loss, but it may yet turn up if you offer someone there something to find it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sorry to here about this, It sounds like the goons over at Estafeta are a bunch of estafadores. If I were you I'd raise a hellstorm over at their offices, seems to be one of the best ways to not get trampled over there (In my experience).

@arts_nibs

Actually, from what I heard, about 5 years ago there was a big remodelation of the national post office after many, many complaints and distrust of the service. I have used it many, many times (probably more than 50) and I have never had any problem (apart from the occasional delay). But I used a courier and, even if it's Mexican, it still should work as good as DHL, UPS or FedEx.

How terrible about your sister. People can be so mean. I had received before by courier and I had shipped also using FedEx, Estafeta and DHL and it worked perfectly. I guess, I wasn't lucky and I got a bad customs agent that liked too much the pen :(.

I've had the same experience, I purchase extensively online for fountain pens, music and books, each and every one of them arrived safely. The only bad experience was with customs officials, they charged me absurd taxes on a book, which are supposedly tax free, and a pen which the invoice wasn't clear if it was on euros or usd and conveniently decided that value was marked on euros...

The postal service indeed evolved for the better, way much better than the previous decades.

Oh I agree, any private company should be as good as the rest, as for a State company like the postal service, my faith in them is zero... My anecdotal experience with the postal service was with amazon, a whole box of books (which cause no taxes) disappeared. Amazon quickly re sent the package at no extra cost, the postal service just looked bewildered.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell