Yet Another Lamy 2000 Review

The Keeper

"Dear god, not another Lamy 2000 review" you must think. Well, I thought that too ! However I find interesting to see the consistency of the reviews over time. I've noticed that there are review on this forum of this very pen from 2008, 2010, etc. So, in my opinion, it's interesting to have another one, especially since Lamy said they reworked on the Lamy 2000 nib a few years ago. Be aware that I'm still a newbie to the fountain pen world, I've been using for 3 years a cheap cartridge waterman and a Twsbi 580 since this summer. Concerning, the review, there will be no pictures nor handwriting scans as I don't have anything to take decent pictures. I've bought this pen at pengallery as it was the cheapest, it just arrived today (just 4 days from Malaysia !) and I've been playing with it for some hours now but enough talking, let's get down to the actual review.

Appearance and design : 9,5/10 10/10

Oh boy ! What a beauty ! I'm a fan of bauhaus design and this pen is pretty much the epitome of it ! It's elegant, modern and functional, what could you ask more ? The material is quite interesting to the touch, not your typical plastic body and I find it very pleasing. The machining is just brilliant, it's very neat and tightly machine, it screams german quality.

The design in itself is genious, the round lines that follow the curve of the nib, the metal part at the front creating a nice touch, contrasting with the black makrolon body are things that make the Lamy 2000 a design masterpiece I could write pages on the design itself but I'm not proficient enough in english to do so.

The cap system is quite nice, there is some kind of spring mechanism to secure the cap. Some people warned against the two metal pieces that are on both side of the pen to secure the cap as they would be uncomfortable for some people but they're so small you don't even feel them.

My only critic will be against the ink window which isn't very readable and that would be the only weakness of the pen's design.

It's actually very readable and does the job as expected

Piston filling system : 7/10

The piston filling method is well-done, it's working as intended and the separation between the part you turn and the body is seamless. I can't tell yet if it holds enough ink but previous reviews have showed that it can. So why 7/10 ? It's because you can't easily grease the piston itself and it's wuite stiff, however the goulet pen co showed it was possible using some q tips

Nib and pleasure of writing : 6,5/10 9/10

Considering all the pen I have, it's the wettest, the nib just glides on the paper and it's very pleasant to write with. The pen feels nice in the hand, not too small nor too big and has some decent weight. It was smooth straight out of the box so no problem here on QC nor the flow of ink.

BUT, and I don't understand why they don't change their standards, the nib is far too big for an EF ! It really is like a japanese M and that really bothers me, it's just too big and thus I find it difficult to even try to make some hairlines. Even if it's not the main purpose of pen, I always find pleasant to make some for capitals but it seems also that the nib isn't flexible at all. Because of this, I plan to send it to a neibmeister in order to grind the nib. So my advice people who look for thinness to look for something else if having a big ink capacity is not their concern.

EDIT :

Now I understand my mistake. You see I'm always used to apply some pressure on the pen and that's why my Lamy was doing such a broad line, Now a gentle touch dives a very elegant line that follows your hand like a charm. The pen respond to the pressure you make so you have to think about that when writing but that means you have a lot possibilities.

Conclusion :

I have mixed feelings towards this pen, it has strenghs and weaknesses. Its strengths being the gorgeous design, the quality of manufacturing and the piston filling system however the nib is quite a disapointment although it's super smooth advertising it as EXTRA fine, instead of let's say fine, is a lie to me.

Now that I understand the pen better, it is clearly a no brainer for me and perhaps the ultimate pen you could find.

Edited by The Keeper

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parnesh

• Behike54

• The Keeper

• bizhe

Interesting - thank you! I bought a 2000 a short while ago and I plan to do my own yet another review in due course... For the moment, I shall just add to a couple of your comments:

First, I agree with your comment about the feel of the makrolon body. This is, obviously, something that doesn't come across from photographs or written reviews, but I just love the way it feels. It's quite different from resin or lacquer or metal - very nice indeed.

You're also right about the nib. My Lamy EF is very slightly broader than my Pilot F...

i've had this pen in my to-buy list. love reading reviews about it in the meantime. :)

It doesn't get any cheaper than THIS. :yikes:

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Conclusion :

I have mixed feelings towards this pen, it has strenghs and weaknesses. Its strengths being the gorgeous design, the quality of manufacturing and the piston filling system however the nib is quite a disapointment although it's super smooth advertising it as EXTRA fine, instead of let's say fine, is a lie to me.

If you have read the reviews, you know that the nibs run big, just like the nibs from eastern countries run small, right?

The word lie implies purposeful deception. What does 60+ years of sales and counting, coupled with the advent of access to any and all kinds of info available to everybody and no signs of sales slowing down, tell you?

You mentioned that you want a hairline, have you tried using the pen upside down? I mention this because you talked about the flow being spot-on and your need to make a hairline doesn't seem frequent.

Regardless, thanks for the review; it's much appreciated! :thumbup:

Edited by Behike54

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

It doesn't get any cheaper than THIS. :yikes:

IKR?! Gaaaah! Unfortunately, I've limited myself to a maximum of two pens per month. I already bought an Esterbrook J, and a Bexley Corona (which is already enroute). Sigh. Maybe next month it'll be on Massdrop again.

IKR?! Gaaaah! Unfortunately, I've limited myself to a maximum of two pens per month. I already bought an Esterbrook J, and a Bexley Corona (which is already enroute). Sigh. Maybe next month it'll be on Massdrop again.

Just doing my part! ;)

Nice buys, btw! :thumbup:

I thought I was the only one!

My EF writes like a M.

Taking a closer look at the nib, it does seem EF, so I'm not sure if maybe it's the flow that causes this wider line.

Thanks for the review!

Nib size is not a standard measurement and is not intended to be. All you can say is that the Lamy EF is supposed to be finer than the Lamy F. Some pretend that there is something as a country consistency, but I am pretty sure it's not intended.

As for the piston: the 2K is easy to dismantle, and the piston very easy to reach. Of course one have to be careful when doing it, but it's almost as easy as a Twsbi and as easy as a Pelikan.

Thank you for the review, I agree with you: confronting reviews of the same pen is interesting!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Hmmm.... I think 6.5/10 for a broader line is maybe a little bit harsh? That said, I recently purchased a Lamy with a Fine nib, and find it to be a true Fine - at least using Waterman Serenity Blue. My TWSBI pens with EF nibs are definitely a little finer than my L2K fine, but not by much. It might be worth trying another ink, a less 'flowy' ink, to see if it makes a difference to line width - but what you're describing here may reflect a lack of consistency in their nib production? Interested to hear about other people's experience.

Thanks for putting the review - I may reach different conclusions about scoring the pen (I'd rate it higher overall), but appreciate a different perspective!

Try using a dry ink like iron gall. Pelikan inks also run dry. These dry inks can often yield a narrower line.

I don't really find the piston filler mechanism to be that great compared to my other pens (Pilot Custom Heritage 92 and Pelikan M400.) It really isn't especially smooth IMO. Also, I have a fine, and I feel like it writes like a western medium. Not terribly true to size, but I really like the nib. Just enough feedback to know you are writing. All that being said, I really love it. A couple of people mentioned trying a dryer ink. I absolutely agree with this sentiment. I really like R&K Salix in it or if you can afford it, Sailor Nano-Black.

I was close to buying a Lamy 2000 last spring and chose another pen with that money at the last minute. That other pen turned out to be a disappointment.

This fall, I got an unexpected windfall and finally used part of it to buy a Lamy 2000. This is the pen I should have purchased last spring. It's amazing and has been my daily writer since I got it.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I love Japanese fine and extra fine nibs but I've come to appreciate my Lamy 2000 extra fine too. The key for me was to use a VERY light touch with it. When I do that I can get a line as fine as a Pilot Prera fine, which is a very fine line.

As someone who now prefers M nibs and stubs over EF, the L2K is the best workhorse ever! I first bought and EF and the nib was disappointing. Fixed the flow and now it writes like fine -medium fine but small sweet spot. Loved the pen so sprung for a M and it is my daily carry. Thinking of getting a B to grind to a stub .

Thank you for your review. I own two 2000's, as well as a number of other Lamy FP's, and love them, they are everyday writers for me. I pick them up and they just keep on keeping on. Both of mine are fitted with fine nibs - my personal preferance in a 2000.

I have, from time to time, seen negative comments about 2000's (and Lamy FP's in general) on the FPN and do not understand why. I guess it boils down to everyone having different tastes - horses for courses!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Thinking of getting a B to grind to a stub .

I have a B and am thinking of doing the same. I just like the B so much thought that I am torn...guess maybe I should just buy another :rolleyes:

I thought I was the only one

My EF writes like a M.

Taking a closer look at the nib, it does seem EF, so I'm not sure if maybe it's the flow that causes this wider line.

Thanks for the review!

I have owned several 2000's. 2 in EF, 1 F and 1 M. The first EF I owned wrote with the same line width at my Sailor Pro Gear in F. The second EF wrote with the same width as my 2000 in F (true western F). I also borrowed an EF from a fellow FPN member and his wrote like a slightly finer F.

Since I don't own this pen anymore, I am looking forward to purchasing this pen again in the next month or so.

It's actually a true to size EF, the thing is to not apply overwhelming pressure on the pen, a gentle touch gives a very nice writing.