Carene Rhodium Plated Nibs

Left FPN

If you see a silver trim pen (rhodium plated nib) for sale with a bent nib don't buy it thinking you can return the nib to it's original look.

Yes, you might be able to re-shape it but the plating will be damaged in the process.

I purchased this section for £8 to use it for spare parts ie the grip but the nib must be a Fine.

The nib though might be repaired will end up unplated. I may remove all the plating from the upper surfaces to see how it looks.

fpn_1414064601__dscn0436.jpg

fpn_1414064557__dscn0444.jpg

fpn_1414064641__dscn0443.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• Trom

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Dutchpen could replate it for you....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Dutchpen could replate it for you....

D.ick

Thanks D.ick. I did not know he was capable of such work. I have also found a coin dealer in the UK that can Rhodium plate for £10.

It's a real pity because this section has never seen ink. It was totally void of a single drop or stain in my ultra tank. Bent from new one would say.

fpn_1414157668__dscn0460.jpg

I think that would depend on the size of the nib, and if it has to be masked for two tone.

I guess a PM would make things clear soon enough...

D.ick

~

~

Okay, rhodium plating problems aside...what on earth happened to that nib? Did somebody try to peel it off with a pliers?

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

Perhaps it belonged to Phil Taylor??

D.ick

~

~

a better gold medium section from the same seller but I had to pay a premium...£17 delivered from Israel.

fpn_1414248106__dscn0483.jpg

fpn_1414248151__dscn0484.jpg

Edited by Force

I think I spotted a Fine section in gold the other day but it looked like it had been attacked with an abrasive

It's interesting to see it completely dissembled. I've never seen that before.

Rhodium plating can be done. I have my rings done regularly as they are white gold and that doesn't exist in the wild so to speak. This can be done at home according to the repair book I have, with a beaker, a battery, a hook, some solution and a bent spoon. The most difficult part of the process is getting the parts clean and smooth enough to plate

Edited by Chrissy

Thanks D.ick. I did not know he was capable of such work. I have also found a coin dealer in the UK that can Rhodium plate for £10.

It's a real pity because this section has never seen ink. It was totally void of a single drop or stain in my ultra tank. Bent from new one would say.

Does this dealer also plate gold clips? I have a pen that needs replating.

And I'm also looking for a Rhodium nib for my silver Carene. Do you know where to find the dealer you bought yours from?

Thank you for the warning.

Edited by Trom

Chrissy: I assume the solution is the Rhodium. I think I will leave it to my local coin shop.

Trom: Message Dutchpen for the plating question. Ref the Rhodium nib and dealer I used. He is not a pen dealer but an ebayer in Israel. He has sold a few Caren sections recently most are used. He does not describe the nibs well but posts plenty of pictures and I took pot luck and was lucky with the above gold. I knew the Rhodium was damaged. He has one more gold for sale but the hardware is in very poor condition and it's a little more expensive than the last ones he sold. If it had not been too exensive I have enough parts to repair it but it would be close to waiting and buying a good SH one in the UK.

Chrissy: I assume the solution is the Rhodium. I think I will leave it to my local coin shop.

Yes I assume it's some sort of Rhodium plating salts solution. The time consuming part is the cleaning, then the polishing, then the even more thorough cleaning. To plate all you do is stick it in the solution and attach the positive and negative electrodes