How Do You Select The Pens You Buy?

sirgilbert357

Sadly too often it is "OOH Pretty!"

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Helen350

• redisburning

• siopaopei

1. Sort through various stores, including ebay and custom pen makers.

2. Filter by my price point.

3. Remove anything I don't think is attractive.

4. Pick one based on nib preference.

Sometimes I'll ignore step 4 and pick solely based on price and looks though, since I can always send a nib to a nibmeister, or buy replacements.

What jar said. There is no science in my process. It takes my heart, then it takes the contents of my wallet. (Just like my girlfriend :lol: )

First of all, the appearance is really matter for me, like the overall look and the color of the pen. Also price kinds of matter too, but usually id I really want something sooner or later I get it. Being a Parker fan makes my things even easier, at least till, my Parker wish list holds some items, then can come the others.

Sadly too often it is "OOH Pretty!"

This, and I check out reviews here.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

First is color: earth tones for me; no black, silver, pinks, etc. (ok, so I picked up a 149 about 30 years ago, when I thought prestige was important).

Second is nib (fine or flex).

Third is must have a tank or converter; no cartridges for me (except, of course, my Kaweco Classic Sport).

That's it :)

My first two pens were a Lamy Al Star followed by a Waterman Phileas with a fine nib. (red marbled) I used those pens for the better part of 15 years. (late1990's to December 2012). My next purchase? A black/gold Phileas with a medium. Why? Combination of good price (<$50 shipped brand new in box), previous experience with the pen and a good place to start. Since then?

Budget is always a primary consideration

recommendations, reviews are always a good place to start.

it has to be something I like the look of.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Interesting question.

First, I get the urge to try something new.

Second, I try to pinpoint what that new thing should be. (Stub nib? Japanese extra-fine nib? A differently-shaped body? Different filling system?) If I can't articulate something specific, I try changing inks first. Sadly, I have a bad habit of mixing up "I am bored with what I'm currently using" and "I want something new." However, I often find that just changing things around—and returning to pens I haven't used in a while—can satisfy the above-mentioned urge.

Assuming I do really want something new, I search FPN and other sites to find some way to get what I want cheaply. For example, when I decided to try stubs, it didn't take long to realize that I could swap nibs on my Lamy Safari. I place the inexpensive item in my basket.

Then I wait a couple of weeks. Most of the time, I still want the thing—and so I buy it. If I'm apathetic, I remove it and put it on a list to revisit later.

If there isn't a fairly inexpensive way, then I read lots of reviews and check out lots of options. If I don't have the money for it, I start saving. If I have enough money, I still make myself wait. I've talked myself out of lots of pens this way, and I actually consider it to be a good thing.

The thing about me is that I don't read reviews here until I'm considering something specific. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be tempted to buy a lot more.

Reading through all of the responses back to back, a common theme presents itself: looks. It seems the majority of us are drawn in by the attractiveness of the pen and then, either that alone is enough to seal the deal, or we filter down through a list of other criteria. I'm not really surprised that looks play such a big role -- who *wants* to write with an ugly pen?! Not many.

I guess I'm the same: I tend to "cast my net" based on looks, but all the other criteria decides if the pen gets purchased. I guess I may end up with pens that aren't necessarily the best looking out of the original group, but it was the best fit overall for my criteria.

One thing I found interesting were the couple of you who just buy the pen without regard to the nib. I'm not yet to that point where I will abandon consideration of the nib specs and automatically send it off to a nibmeister if need be. I think the nib is next in line after looks for importance. What do people do with the nibs they don't use? And what's it cost for a custom nib grind -- or a whole new nib?

Originally it was looks & design and then price. After experiencing various manufacturers, there are a few makers I will always avoid and few I will always gravitate towards. Same with sellers.

Enjoy!

First it is what my monthly (Social Security) budget will allow me. I had to settle within myself that I will not be able to afford that MB 149, or the Visconti Homo Sapiens, or the Montegrappa La Traviata Limited Edition, or the Sailor King of Pen. I had to discover pens within my budget - & learn what is the best in that price group. I would be bankrupt if I bought every pen that called out to me, for at this moment a Delta Dolce Vita Mid-Size is whispering in my ears. :wub:

Second, much research, reading FPN reviews, pen sellers website reviews, watching sbrebrown & The Pen Habit

Third, go to Ebay, Goulet Pens, Anderson Pens, ISellPens, XFountainpens, & Amazon so that I can see pictures of the pen and/or ink in question for the current price.

Then I wrestle within myself for several days. :blush: Color, pen weight, pen length, will it cap, swapping nibs (currently loving the 1.1. stubs) & do I really need another pen????????

Finally, I place the order. When that pens arrives, I am ECSTATIC :lticaptd: If the nib needs smoothing, I've got the proper micromesh; and if the nib needs being made more wet, sbrebrown has taught that as well. No wonder my head is swimming when it is all over!

I personally have a few considerations:

1. Is it within budget?

2. Have I bought other pens this month?

3. Is it a Parker? (I'm currently building my Parker collection)

4. If not, is it on my wishlist?

5. Do I like the overall look?

6. If not, do I like the material it's made from? (checks reviews online)

7. Check writing samples online

That's pretty much my thought process when buying a fountain pen. :)

Edited by siopaopei

I personally have a few considerations:

1. Is it within budget?

2. Have I bought other pens this month?

3. Is it a Parker? (I'm currently building my Parker collection)

4. If not, is it on my wishlist?

5. Do I like the overall look?

6. If not, do I like the material it's made from? (checks reviews online)

7. Check writing samples online

That's pretty much my thought process when buying a fountain pen. :)

That was a nice looking Esterbrook picture I saw just a moment ago!!!

Edited by Helen350

That was a nice looking Esterbrook picture I saw just a moment ago!!!

Hi Helen, yes I just bought that last weekend. :) I don't always follow my 2-3 pen per month policy. haha.

Edited by siopaopei

I set up a dart board and I post pictures of the FPs I'm interested from my wishlist. Then I play a few games.

Edited by Csrae

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

I set up a dart board and I post pictures of the FPs I'm interested from my wishlist. Then I play a few games.

LOL, Nice!! Guess that way it's always random which pen you end up with, and therefore, a bit more exciting! (Unless you're quite good at darts)