How To Deny A Person From Using Your Pen?

Icywolfe

I am shocked by the number of people believing that "no" is the best answer. I wouldn't lend my pens, either, but there must be a more polite way to say why you can't lend this pen. Just saying "no" is very rude, because people are not used to be denied a pen.

What I do now is, I carry a cheap ballpoint to lend people, not only because I don't want to lend my fountain pen, but because sometimes they need to keep the pen for a while and that almost always result in the pen being "stolen".

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Icywolfe

• LamyOne

• Yaakova

'Sorry, the tines are set to my hand'

I completely agree, Hugo. Or say that the pen is special to you and you don't let anybody use it. It doesn't mean you're snob, it just means that you care about your pen too much to let anyone else use it. Ever.

Bringing a pen that's fairly hard to mess up (like a Lamy Safari) might be a good idea too. So you can teach people how to use FPs without wincing when they scratch it along the paper the wrong way.

I am shocked by the number of people believing that "no" is the best answer. I wouldn't lend my pens, either, but there must be a more polite way to say why you can't lend this pen. Just saying "no" is very rude, because people are not used to be denied a pen.

What I do now is, I carry a cheap ballpoint to lend people, not only because I don't want to lend my fountain pen, but because sometimes they need to keep the pen for a while and that almost always result in the pen being "stolen".

Perhaps they need to get used to being denied. It's not your duty to supply pens to people who don't bring their own, and you don't owe a would-be borrower an explanation. Of course, you can try to say no in a polite manner, but dressing it up with an excuse is superfluous.

I do lend my ballpoints or rollerballs on occasion anyway, but I expect to get them back. I've given away all the really cheap ballpoints that I didn't care about.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I would politely say no (say, for example, I'd rather you didn't) but not give a specific reason because if the individual can counter that reason then you have no real option left without looking really bad..

The humorous responses aside - a lot of handwringing over a relatively minor thing.

For starters, it isnt that hard to tell your friend how to use the pen: "hey buddy, it is quite expensive, so just write with a light hand, ok?" Kids aged 6-7 do it.

Third, if you have to say no, you can do so in a significantly less hostile tone than some of the posts I am seeing here (I know some of them are humorous, but not all). How hard is it to say "sorry pal, this is a really expensive pen and if you have never used a fountain pen before, you may damage it and i dont want to risk it"

I am with Koyote. I'll lend the pen out. And for the record: i can understand not lending the pen out, i just cannot fathom the excessiveness of some of the replies.

Jeez people, the other guy merely asked if he could borrow a pen, not defecate in your oven. It is something *normal* people do all the time with friends (the borrowing of a writing utensil, not the oven deposit). Where is all this "he is no real friend", etc. coming from? Most people dont realize that we have expensive pens and so may not immediate realize why we are saying no or may think it is a joke. What, you guys have no give-and-take or joking around with your friends, and never help each other out with little things?

Edited by de_pen_dent

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I never have the problem that people ask to use my fountain pen. (I guess its the price of living on top of mount doom.)

Actually people ask me if I don't have a " normal " pen.

But If some one did ask, I would say " I do not wish to appear to be a snob, But this is a 312 dollar pen, and they are rather delicate. I could show you how to use a different fountain pen if you like. "

For all you people suggesting taser's and the like I am shocked and utterly appalled at your answer's. Not because I don't approve of violence when the situation calls for it but because taser's are expensive. They cost money that you could be using to buy more pens. There's a simpler and much cheaper method to get your point across.

1. Take off your shoe.

2. Take off your sock.

3. Put your shoe back on.

4. Go outside and find one rock preferable one about the size of your clenched fist.

5. Put that rock into your sock.

6. Hit said person unable to take no for an answer upside the head with rock in sock as many times as necessary for them to understand what No means.

With my plan your only out 1 sock, and you save all that precious taser money which can be used on stuff like more pens. SMH some peoples kids....

You commit yourself to such a level where there is no compromise. You give everything you have, everything, absolutely everything. - Senna

I want to convey the fine line between passion and violence. I've got so much wickedness and sin, No, it wont be long until your break, Because I'm evil - Bat for Lashes

The fact he is pushing on this pen bears the question-why. Why this one?

Perhaps finding that answer out will help in finding the right answer. Is he a closet fp user/owner and is looking to get one of his own? Or is his motive more nefarious?

Although if it is one you haven't had for very long, just tell him that you are very protective of it and why.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

In the OP, this isn't about the random colleague needing a pen, any pen, here's a Bic...

It seems to be all about him wanting THAT pen, so the answer is,

"Sorry, a pen like this, you have to get your own. Really, here's my FPR flex pen and you can get the same results with that. Or try this crow quill dip nib."

"Really, no."

"Go try one at the [expensive stationers] on [XX] street."

"If I had a motorcycle, I wouldn't lend that either."

"I also will not lend you my car, horse, dog, chef's knives, skis, squash racquet, shoes, etc."

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

For all you people suggesting taser's and the like I am shocked and utterly appalled at your answer's. Not because I don't approve of violence when the situation calls for it but because taser's are expensive. They cost money that you could be using to buy more pens.

If you can afford nice fountain pens, you can afford a taser. I'm waiting for the new Montblanc LE taser because... well, if you you're going to do it at least do it in a little style. We're civilised here, damnit!

Humour notwithstanding, I am 6ft 2in, shaven headed and with an interesting glint to my eye. People generally don't grab for one of my fountain pens. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

Edit: deleted.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Humour notwithstanding, I am 6ft 2in, shaven headed and with an interesting glint to my eye. People generally don't grab for one of my fountain pens. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

I've discovered that what you can do to someone doesn't matter as much as what they think you will do to them. I'm a short, dumpy, middle-aged woman, but for some strange reason, I've always seemed to project an aura of "she with whom thou shalt not mess." (Even though I'm really one of the biggest wimps in the world.) It's for this very reason that I'm afraid someday, through no fault of my own, I may find myself on the receiving end of a serious butt kicking. ;)

Edited by Yaakova

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

I thought this thread would be a tiny one.

I only meet the person once a week.

People are amazed by the flex and not a fountain pen. They though it's one of those "movies and cartoons only" writing.

#Nope

What was that saying in the 80's with Nancy Reagan for kids about drugs? Oh yea.

Just Say No to Drugs

What, people these days do not like being told no to anything.

You have to bend over backwards for anyone who wants your items to use or take [ whatever that may be ] that you

worked hard for, saved up for I do not think so.. I do believe in giving a person a hand up not a hand out.

Today your pen, tomorrow something else and it will never stop...

Nice people need to say no when the situation demands so.

If you are not willing to loan out your items that is you right and they should respect that.

Bringing a pen that's fairly hard to mess up (like a Lamy Safari) might be a good idea too. So you can teach people how to use FPs without wincing when they scratch it along the paper the wrong way.

I always keep a Jinhao 599 inked just in case they see me writing with another of my more costly pens. However if they were to persist my response would be "It's elementary dear Watson - No"

I say, "Umm, I don't let people who don't know how to use a fountain pen use my fountain pens. They usually get ink all over themselves." That usually takes care of the question. If not, I say, "Umm, I don't think so."

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I am a teacher at a Junior High (same as Middle school) students, I frequently have students ask if they can use my fancy pens, first I only take my good easily replaced Chinese pens to school, second I tell them they can't write with it till their writing form improves and then I get to teach them proper writing form and pressure. If they are truly interested they practice (which means I just convinced them to write which is the hardest task for a teacher) they get better and then I usually can trust them, then I let them use a cheap pen and boom I just hooked another. We finally had to start a club for students interested in Fountain pens.

I am a teacher at a Junior High (same as Middle school) students, I frequently have students ask if they can use my fancy pens, first I only take my good easily replaced Chinese pens to school, second I tell them they can't write with it till their writing form improves and then I get to teach them proper writing form and pressure. If they are truly interested they practice (which means I just convinced them to write which is the hardest task for a teacher) they get better and then I usually can trust them, then I let them use a cheap pen and boom I just hooked another. We finally had to start a club for students interested in Fountain pens.

I tried to do a mini giveaway that if they can write like me they can have my N-Creaper and even when I said I'll teach them. They ran away. I just killed off 99.99999% of the people wanting to use my pen.

#Nope

More on the serious side this time, I let people use my pens and I don't really worry about it.

If one is SO worried about this, why not just carry two pens, one the ever precious, and the other a respectable ball point?

Come to think of it, I sort of do this since I usually have a 51 and a 1st year Jotter. (I usually give out the 51.)

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.