How To Deny A Person From Using Your Pen?

Icywolfe

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Icywolfe

• LamyOne

• Yaakova

Shoot, I've let people use things of much more value, such as my car and my house -- so, aside from one with major sentimental value, I usually let someone borrow a FP. If I am worried, I just mention that they should use a light touch. They're just things.

Lucky for me I only have three people that I consider friends, the rest of the people that know me understand what the word, "no" means.

After all it's the first word we all learn as a small child.

I believe this is the reference:

http://cdn.hark.com/images/000/097/617/97617/original.jpg

That's the dog Montblanc named their resin after, Precious.

I need to put a taser on my shopping list...

Question; Can I borrow your pen?

Response: There's two things I don't share in this world, my wife and my pen. The answer is no!

Shoot, I've let people use things of much more value, such as my car and my house -- so, aside from one with major sentimental value, I usually let someone borrow a FP. If I am worried, I just mention that they should use a light touch. They're just things.

Man, I had quite a few laughs, a few pauses and scratching of head, and even some WTH moments reading through all these posts.

At the end of the day, I agree whole heartily with Koyote. Our pens are just material stuff. I would rather use the things I enjoy when and where I want because that's what makes me happy, (it is, after all, why I got into FP's in the first place), rather than feeling like I have to sequester them at home in fear of being asked to use them.

I have been asked to use my FP's by people at work before and I use the opportunity elucidating the individual, not only how to properly use the pen, but also sharing a little something about the particular pen, whether it is some history about the pen or the reason why I got it in the first place. I find joy in sharing my passion with individuals....it has led to a few new converts over the years!

Maybe I have been lucky, but so far, I have found nothing but respect from the individuals. It was how I got sucked into this vortex of insanity, so I feel I should continue paying it forward.

Best of luck Icywolfe.

I had a bad experience of somebody borrowing one of my newly-bought pens and then after returning it to me, it just didn't feel the same way anymore. The next day when I uncapped it again to use it, it just started spilling ink from the collar. I feel bad that I didn't take better care of it. I had to accept that taking care of my pens also meant being a bit selective of who I lend them to. I carry other (sturdier) pens to lend out (both ballpoint and fountain pen). I have yet to come across a person who doesn't get the hint that I don't want to lend my nicer pens to others.

Edited by siopaopei

+2

- Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I hope this thread makes the whole situation "smaller and less powerful" for you.

1) putting it ON THEM makes you be the person you don't want to be, by your own admission.

2) not carrying or hiding it just gives the situation or person more power while taking away yours and any opportunity of handling this in a way that you will be okay with.

Forget his vise-grip, forget a cloaking device or shield. I always try to remember the truth without some thoughtfulness can sometimes be cruel.

Don't focus on his kung-fu grip, focus on how much the pen means to you and what a precision instrument it is. ALL TRUE. It's HOW you say it as much as WHAT you say.

You might want to divert after that by saying stuff like:

It's not the pen, it took me a long time to learn to write like this. THEN....grab something else and show then your skills. I like the idea of this pen is tuned just the way I like it and add something about how delicate it is that even you have to be careful with it and it's YOUR PEN.

"I'm sorry, I just can't. Besides, I can't afford to have it tuned AGAIN and the 6 months down-time that comes along with it. I'M SORRY, I just can't. Then smile. No, REALLY......just smile.

A lot of these posts are funny, but it's easier to be a keyboard cowboy than deal with people in real life.

You're good peeps just by posting this........trust in that and you're good! :thumbup:

Edited by Behike54

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

How about just saying, "No"?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You're taking all the fun out this...

I never said you had to be polite when doing so...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I've always fared well with presenting them with one of the Parker Vector rollerball pens that I keep around my desk, most of the people are fairly enamored with these and I've made gifted quite a few in recent months.

This is actually the same pen that sparked my interest in writing instruments, so I like to think I'm putting them on the path towards FP ownership :)

"It puts the fountain pen on the desk, or else it gets the hose again."

When you say "get the hose" do we mean drenched with water from the hose or just a proper trashing with the hose?

The way I see it, it comes down to your comfort level with the person - I have some friends who are more than welcome to have a go with just about any pen on my desk, and the ones who are pen-nerds like me even take them out for a couple of days - no big deal. Same with my cars / headphones / other toys... If you like it and we are friends, then it's all good. Where I draw the line is if someone is reckless - using an item and abusing an item are different issues - then all bets are off! I had a friend who smashed my Cadillac beyond repair, she isn't allowed to look at any of the keys any more but is welcome to the pens.

How about just saying, "No"?

It is exactly what I do.

However, I have noticed people are more reluctant asking you to use your fountain pen.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

(with apologies to Adrian Mitchell)

1/ Patriotic - My grandfather didn't fight the fascists/communists/insert own here, so that you could borrow my FP.

2/ Snobbish - I'm sorry Queen Elizabeth is using it.

3/ Fantasy - it can only be wielded by its rightful owner - I pulled this out of a paperweight I'd wrestled out of the claws of a dragon. You're not worthy.

4/ Pious - my pen is reserved for religious ceremonies

5/ Melodramatic - I'd sooner stab myself with the nib, and have my ink stained body buried at the crossroads than lend you my pen.

6/ Pathetic - I'm threatened with redundancy and can't feed my children, and all you can talk to me about is fountain pens.

7/ Defensive - Do you think I'm made of Fountain pens

8/ Sinister - It's inked with blood.

9/ Philosophical - what is a fountain pen?

Adrian Mitchell tackled this thorny question when it came to wheelbarrows, You can find his poem here; http://wonderingminstrels.blogspot.co.uk/2000/11/ten-ways-to-avoid-lending-your.html

:lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Interesting topic and some excellent and humorous responses!

As for myself, I never let an FP out of my hand when others are around, such as in meetings. This keeps the inconsiderate "grabber" from reaching out.

I always have a ball point or roller ball within reach which I gladly hand over.