Notes In Books

Seenz

Well, if you are using law school case books, the papers could be confused with tissue - the cheap kind. I think they believe it will keep the book from weighing 20 lbs if they use super think paper and print in 8 pt font. More editing would have a better result.

Nevertheless, I found ball points ghosted, gels smeared and lots of inks bled through the paper. The margins are tiny and you are trying to cram in a lot info.

I found the Micro Gels were the best, though I used a lot of tiny pencils, and I used Pentel and Kohl Noor dry highlighters. Now that I'm out of law school, everything in is GIANT type with big margins, I never use pencil and I use BB nibs in overthe top colors.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• knarflj

• amberleadavis

• Seenz

• Yaakova

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like to write my notes on a small piece of paper and then stick the paper inside the book at the corresponding page.

This way I can easily recall my thoughts when reading, find a specific page (or passage as I often do this in my Bible that I do not highlight or underline in)

I can use whatever pen and ink I feel like in the moment, and keep the book nice and clean.

Hope this helps! :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Pencils are the way to go IF YOU FEEL THAT THE WORLD CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT YOUR INSIGHT.

Would you annotate one of the few copies of the Gutenberg Bible if one were to fall into your hands?

Humility tells me it was the author who was published, not you. If your ideas are so good write your own book and shlep it around to the publishers

If the book are going remain with you as a reference, eg, law textbooks, and the notes are there to jog your memory use whatever you want.

I like the idea of Post-It notes

I use my Parker 51 with Diamine Onyx Black. The point is fine enough not to cause bleed through, even on Bible paper. sometimes I would also use Diamine meadow. It dries to a pleasant shade of light green.

Edited by siopaopei

Pencils are the way to go IF YOU FEEL THAT THE WORLD CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT YOUR INSIGHT.

Would you annotate one of the few copies of the Gutenberg Bible if one were to fall into your hands?

Humility tells me it was the author who was published, not you. If your ideas are so good write your own book and shlep it around to the publishers

If the book are going remain with you as a reference, eg, law textbooks, and the notes are there to jog your memory use whatever you want.

Really???? Case books are NOT the Gutenberg bible! They are a tool for my education and if I pay for it, I can deface it. No humility among law professors. Write in the dang book. I have a highly visual recall dependent upon color. 5 years after we discussed a case in class, I rembered that I wrote in the margins in red, on the left hand side of the page -- when I needed to find that case to start my research, I was able to find the case. Hours and Hours saved. If it helps you learn, crayon it if necessary.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

No humility among law professors.

:)

I almost expected something like this from you. After all it's been the law professors who perfected this system back in the middleages (Irnerius and the school of glossators)

Greetings,

Michael

I would use pencil as well. I was brought up to treat all books as sacred, and not to be "altered" in any way, so, if I absolutely have to write something, I would use something that could be erased...

Writing in a book!!! The criminal should be shot (or forced to use pink ink for the rest of his miserable life)

Writing in a book!!! The criminal should be shot (or forced to use pink ink for the rest of his miserable life)

Maybe I shouldn't write in it at all then :lol: :P

Yikes. Why don't you tell us how you really feel. Incidentally, I don't think people here are advocating the defacing of rare and valuable books. :rolleyes:

Anyway. For a long time I didn't write in my books, either - and if I did, I used pencil. But I never felt as if I were truly interacting with my books - and I'd read discussions about marginalia (and study marginalia for some of my art history courses) and see images of notes in books by Vladimir Nabokov or Sylvia Plath or David Foster Wallace or John Adams or any number of other people whose minds I've always admired and respected and thought that they were onto something. (And for those of you who may say, "Well, these were important and learned men and women with important things to say so they could get away with it", my response is this: I can guarantee that they were writing in books long before they became famous. What do you think helped to get them that way? ;) ) I mean, marginalia is an old and time-honored tradition for a reason. And there is something to be said about underlining certain passages or circling certain words in books as a way of really delving into a work and studying the craft of the thing.

Some years ago I found this wonderful and remarkable book called How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren. It's about the different levels of reading and the importance of active reading, which, yes, necessitates writing in the books you read. In fact, the authors argue that writing in a book, making notes in the margins, and really interacting with the text is a sign of respect for the author. It shows the author you are engaged in his work. In interacting with your books in this way, you not only read more deeply, you become a part of the Great Conversation that has been going on for millennia. I find this extremely exciting and am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it as a reader and writer. Some of the authors I know are visibly delighted when they come across one of their books and see the writing within.

I'm a book collector - have been since I was a kid. I've also worked in the rare book industry. I would never dream of writing in my first editions or rare volumes. My hardcover editions are pristine, too. But reading copies - paperbacks and some hardcovers - are fair game as far as I'm concerned. (Though yes, I admittedly do cringe whenever I see people ripping up an old book to use as a planter or something like that. Why? It makes no sense. How are you even supposed to water the thing?)

I think maybe instead of being so judgmental towards people who choose to write in their books for whatever reason, we should celebrate the fact that in this Internet age, people are still reading at all. My two cents, anyway.

To the OP: I've discovered that extra-fine pens (of the Japanese variety) and very dry ink go a long way in preventing bleed-through, even on very cheap paper. My preferred combination is my Platinum 3776 Century with extra fine nib and Stipula Musk Green. Very wet inks, even in the extra fine, will show some bleed-through. I hope that helps!

Edited to add: Scraps of paper in books are harmful, too, FYI. The acid of the paper will eventually destroy the page in the book, cause discoloration, etc.

Edited by Millefleurs

Thanks for the information and advice guys. The reason I am doing notes in books is for studying purposes otherwise the pages would be pristine! It doesn't feel right writing on the pages but unfortunately it's gotta be done.

I am glad to hear you are not feeling too good about it. I was beginning to wonder if I am the only one that thinks writing in books is just wrong.

Back in my times.. (old times ok... )... for studying purposes I wrote on post it notes.. which where placed all over the pages of a book. My multicolored textbooks were a sure sign that exams were approaching. ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Do you have a particular ink in mind? :lol:

Edited by Art

Really???? Case books are NOT the Gutenberg bible! They are a tool for my education and if I pay for it, I can deface it. No humility among law professors. Write in the dang book. I have a highly visual recall dependent upon color. 5 years after we discussed a case in class, I rembered that I wrote in the margins in red, on the left hand side of the page -- when I needed to find that case to start my research, I was able to find the case. Hours and Hours saved. If it helps you learn, crayon it if necessary.

Way back when I was in law school I wrote in my books all of the time. Now I am in the seminary and I write in my books, including one of my study Bibles, all of the time. I don't, however, write in my non-school books. FWIW - I use a Sailor fine or Retro 51 roller pen and a yellow highlighter to write in books.

P.S. - I think that Millefleurs' post is illuminating.

Edited by dornblaser

A word of caution on Post-its - an art history professor once warned us about using post-its in our ridiculously expensive art history text books as there is the potential for the sticky to damage the paper because it is not archival. She advocated using slips of paper.

Personally, I tend to make notes in a "topic" notebook because I can't always remember which book or magazine I had been reading when I came across a great idea. For instance, when I read books about design I make notes in my design notebook. When I read about drawing I make notes in my sketchbook. I will then reference the book that I was reading so I can go back to it later if I want to.

Yikes. Why don't you tell us how you really feel. Incidentally, I don't think people here are advocating the defacing of rare and valuable books. :rolleyes:

Anyway. For a long time I didn't write in my books, either - and if I did, I used pencil. But I never felt as if I were truly interacting with my books - and I'd read discussions about marginalia (and study marginalia for some of my art history courses) and see images of notes in books by Vladimir Nabokov or Sylvia Plath or David Foster Wallace or John Adams or any number of other people whose minds I've always admired and respected and thought that they were onto something. (And for those of you who may say, "Well, these were important and learned men and women with important things to say so they could get away with it", my response is this: I can guarantee that they were writing in books long before they became famous. What do you think helped to get them that way? ;) ) I mean, marginalia is an old and time-honored tradition for a reason. And there is something to be said about underlining certain passages or circling certain words in books as a way of really delving into a work and studying the craft of the thing.

Some years ago I found this wonderful and remarkable book called How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren. It's about the different levels of reading and the importance of active reading, which, yes, necessitates writing in the books you read. In fact, the authors argue that writing in a book, making notes in the margins, and really interacting with the text is a sign of respect for the author. It shows the author you are engaged in his work. In interacting with your books in this way, you not only read more deeply, you become a part of the Great Conversation that has been going on for millennia. I find this extremely exciting and am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it as a reader and writer. Some of the authors I know are visibly delighted when they come across one of their books and see the writing within.

I'm a book collector - have been since I was a kid. I've also worked in the rare book industry. I would never dream of writing in my first editions or rare volumes. My hardcover editions are pristine, too. But reading copies - paperbacks and some hardcovers - are fair game as far as I'm concerned. (Though yes, I admittedly do cringe whenever I see people ripping up an old book to use as a planter or something like that. Why? It makes no sense. How are you even supposed to water the thing?)

I think maybe instead of being so judgmental towards people who choose to write in their books for whatever reason, we should celebrate the fact that in this Internet age, people are still reading at all. My two cents, anyway.

To the OP: I've discovered that extra-fine pens (of the Japanese variety) and very dry ink go a long way in preventing bleed-through, even on very cheap paper. My preferred combination is my Platinum 3776 Century with extra fine nib and Stipula Musk Green. Very wet inks, even in the extra fine, will show some bleed-through. I hope that helps!

Edited to add: Scraps of paper in books are harmful, too, FYI. The acid of the paper will eventually destroy the page in the book, cause discoloration, etc.

This is certainly a motivational read! The book 'How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren', I know this may not be the right place but do you reckon it's worth buying?

I have in addition to the technical pens used colored pencil. Prismacolor, red or blue .5 mm mp lead and yes sometimes even ballpoint. This is in addition to highlighters.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Millefleurs, you make an excellent point about the value of interacting with the text. I still can't write in most books with comfort - particularly with fiction or poetry, I find that marginalia distract me from the story or verse, and badly interrupt the rhythm of the original. This is less of a problem in a non-fiction work, as a rule, but even there, I prefer to keep my own notes minimal and as little distracting as possible - one of the reasons why I prefer pencil for this work.

Personally, I tend to make notes in a "topic" notebook because I can't always remember which book or magazine I had been reading when I came across a great idea. For instance, when I read books about design I make notes in my design notebook. When I read about drawing I make notes in my sketchbook. I will then reference the book that I was reading so I can go back to it later if I want to.

This. My really thoughtful interaction with any book goes into a separate notebook, and like Just I, I have several of these: one for general reading, some for particular topics that I frequently study or read about, one just for collecting quotations. This practice not only helps me avoid marking up most of my own books and makes it easier to find things, but it makes it possible for me to use the same reading routines with library books that I use with my own - and since I can't begin to afford my own copy of every book I read, I read a lot of borrowed books!

If I don't have my notebook handy while I'm reading, or don't want to interrupt the flow of a book, but want to make a note about something I read, I quickly place a book dart to mark that spot, so that I can easily find the exact passage later when I am able to reflect and write on it.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

No ink. Pencil is the way to go.

Yes indeed. Not least because upon re-reading the book, one can go back and erase the sillier comments! :-D

色即是空,空即是色 (心經

I love what you said here!

I do a lot of reading of Christian classics and Bible study type books, most of which are cheap paperbacks and I write in those ones frequently because I am delving into the reading and I want to remember exactly what word or section affected me so I will underline. I have some nice old hard cover books I would never dream of writing in. But the modern day paperbacks can be made so cheaply nowadays I don't care if I deface it. If I care enough to have a clean copy I will buy another copy or even better get a beautiful hardback to sit on my shelf.

I agree about getting into really reading by interacting with the book.

I am a writer too. Someday someone may want to read my notes. Not that I imagine I will be famous someday - I have no desire for fame. But someday my children or grandchildren may want to read my notes and it will be precious to them.

My grandfather died when I was two years old. My mother still has his old King James Bible and it is a family treasure to us. I love to gently hold it and open up the cover seeing his writing and my grandma's writing over the pages. It helps me feel connected to him even though I have no memories of him, only stories and pictures. He was a pastor for many years. I love seeing some of his notes and insights. I would feel poorer without them.

I didn't know that scraps of paper can harm books - yikes! Is that over a long stretch of time (like decades?) Or can it happen within a shorter time (say within a few months?) Also does it make a difference what kind of paper it is and if it is a newer book vs an older book? Any info would be helpful please!

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1