Big Pens With A Surprisingly Small Ink Capacity

B_Type13X2

Not long ago I posted a topic about my Conklin Crescent filler; I was absolutely sure I was filling up this pen incorrectly because it seemed to run out of ink way faster then it should run out of ink. Now to be fair I do have a bold nib on it and it is a wet writer, however after numerous fillings and measurements I discovered that the maximum amount of ink I was able to get into this pen was about 1-1.1ML . My method for testing was as follow's, after I had completely flushed and emptied the pen I went about refilling it squeezing the filling mechanism between 1 all the way up to 10 times, then emptying the pen into a small empty ink sample vial. I then would use an ink syringe to suck up all the ink from the sample vial and measure how much of the syringe was filled. To my surprise, there was no discernable difference between squeezing the filling mechanism 1 time or repeatedly allowing it to fully inflate between squeezes. Its maximum ink capacity seemed to be a piddly 1ml. This was very surprising to me given that the pen is a fairly moderately sized pen. To put it into perspective, my Pelikan M205 holds more ink then this pen and it is roughly half its size.

It now makes perfect sense why this wet writer is completely pooched of ink after 2-3 pages of writing.

So for the discussion at hand, what larger or moderately sized pen has surprised you with having a smaller ink capacity then you had initially expected?

You commit yourself to such a level where there is no compromise. You give everything you have, everything, absolutely everything. - Senna

I want to convey the fine line between passion and violence. I've got so much wickedness and sin, No, it wont be long until your break, Because I'm evil - Bat for Lashes

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• B_Type13X2

• georges zaslavsky

• Renfield

• Algester

The bronze Visconti Homo Sapiens, especially in view of its size and the fact that it is a Vacuum filler.

Jinhaos, they are big pens with wet nibs and teensy weensy converters.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

my Churchill has a c/c and doesn't hold much.

I don't know how much my Conklin crescent holds, but I think it already needs a new sac. It doesn't seem to want to expand after it's been compressed.

my Churchill has a c/c and doesn't hold much.

I don't know how much my Conklin crescent holds, but I think it already needs a new sac. It doesn't seem to want to expand after it's been compressed.

about 1 ml that's what I've found anyway can't seem to squeeze anymore into it then that. If I had known how little ink it held before I bought it; I would have chosen a M or a F Nib.

You commit yourself to such a level where there is no compromise. You give everything you have, everything, absolutely everything. - Senna

I want to convey the fine line between passion and violence. I've got so much wickedness and sin, No, it wont be long until your break, Because I'm evil - Bat for Lashes

The bronze Visconti Homo Sapiens, especially in view of its size and the fact that it is a Vacuum filler.

For sure.

Also the Pelikan M1000 doesn't hold all that much.

1ml of ink is not bad.......

My Sheaffer Snorkel gets 0.75ml at best

Most standard converters are around 0.5-0.7ml

A large Standard International is only around 1.4

In fact most piston fillers hover around 1.5ml

Even with my broadest wettest nib, I get around 8-10 A4 sheets of writing from a converter fill......

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

1ml of ink is not bad.......

My Sheaffer Snorkel gets 0.75ml at best

Most standard converters are around 0.5-0.7ml

A large Standard International is only around 1.4

In fact most piston fillers hover around 1.5ml

Even with my broadest wettest nib, I get around 8-10 A4 sheets of writing from a converter fill......

I'm getting about 2-3 pages A4 size out of 1 refill and I find myself tapping on a block of post it notes more and more frequently past the first 1.5 pages. It might have to do with me being a heavy handed writer. (I apply more pressure then is necessary out of habit and I'm trying to break that habit.) 1ml might not be that bad but in this case given the size of the pen I was expecting a larger capacity. It is odd though because my Namiki Falcon with a small converter lasts longer as does my Lamy's and my aforementioned Pelikan. I really do like this pen but given how fast it goes through its ink supply I am turning it into my signatory pen.

Sailor's KoP... it's big with a .5ml ink capacity in size it's the same as a 149... probably

Yeah, The size of the pen has less to do with the capacity than you would think.....

I found another post, talking about Pelikan Ink capacities....

Modern 200/400 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 24.5mm, potential ink volume:1.29 ml

Modern 600 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm, potential ink volume:. 1.37 ml

Modern 800 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm , potential ink volume: 1.37 ml

Modern1000: piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 28 mm , potential ink volume: 1.47 ml

I have an M200 and most would consider it a smallish pen, but yet the capacity of it is not far off the M1000 which is a monster of a pen....

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

A giant 149 only holds 1.60ml, as much as one of the Sheaffer cartridges.

Two standard International cartridges piggy back hold @ 1.74ml.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If I use a Con50 (0.6 ml) on my Justus95 would that count? The Justus95 is taller than the Vac700.

Because on that pen I can also use the Con20(1ml) and the Con70. (1.2 ml)

#Nope

Ink capacity never really comes to my mind. My Kaweco Al-Sport with a nice, medium nib lasts me a good 20, college ruled pages. I just looked at it now, and I've used just around half of the cartridge after writing 13 pages. Not bad if you ask me.

I think the most "bang for your buck" when referring to ink capacity is the TWSBI 580. I've never measured how much it holds, but is has to be around 1.8mL.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay

+1. Mine would pick up a measly 0.75 ml, nearly the same as a standard SHORT cartridge. That's just shameful!! Visconti should hollow out the internals and make it an eyedropper.

@arts_nibs

Sailor's KoP... it's big with a .5ml ink capacity in size it's the same as a 149... probably

+1

About the time I start to enjoy the nib...it's out of ink!

Not long ago I posted a topic about my Conklin Crescent filler; I was absolutely sure I was filling up this pen incorrectly because it seemed to run out of ink way faster then it should run out of ink. Now to be fair I do have a bold nib on it and it is a wet writer, however after numerous fillings and measurements I discovered that the maximum amount of ink I was able to get into this pen was about 1-1.1ML . My method for testing was as follow's, after I had completely flushed and emptied the pen I went about refilling it squeezing the filling mechanism between 1 all the way up to 10 times, then emptying the pen into a small empty ink sample vial. I then would use an ink syringe to suck up all the ink from the sample vial and measure how much of the syringe was filled. To my surprise, there was no discernable difference between squeezing the filling mechanism 1 time or repeatedly allowing it to fully inflate between squeezes. Its maximum ink capacity seemed to be a piddly 1ml. This was very surprising to me given that the pen is a fairly moderately sized pen. To put it into perspective, my Pelikan M205 holds more ink then this pen and it is roughly half its size.

It now makes perfect sense why this wet writer is completely pooched of ink after 2-3 pages of writing.

So for the discussion at hand, what larger or moderately sized pen has surprised you with having a smaller ink capacity then you had initially expected?

1ml is quite a lot, especially when you take into account the fact that Crescent Fillers are sac pens and that converters hold 0.5ml to 0.7ml.

The Nettuno Shark has by a very long shot got the worst ink capacity of any pen I have ever owned. Truly stunning looking pen and a joy to use......until after two paragraphs the ink runs out - TWO PARAGRAPHS! :crybaby: And, get this; it's a piston filler! :wallbash:

Jinhaos, they are big pens with wet nibs and teensy weensy converters.

+1 on Jinhaos. My x450, with its stock converter, wrote about 4 sides of college ruled paper before it ran out. That's not even 1 class's worth of notes for me on an average day. The wet broad nib combined with that pathetic little converter makes for a pretty short ink capacity.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).