Is There An Estie Nib Trade Thread?

jdllizard

:D

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jdllizard

• amberleadavis

• OcalaFlGuy

• ScienceChick

Okay, somebody has to ask... what's the odd set of topics in the Ink Reviews forum? I like ink reviews. I like Estie nibs, too; they kind of go together. Inquiring minds want to know!

Way off topic, but since you ask, the topics in the Ink Reviews forum are the Iroshizuku Co-Razy View Group Reviews. Most reviews are one person with one ink. These are a collection of people trying the same ink and comparing it to others. Last month was Tsuki-yo, a dark blue, and this month is Yu-yake, an orange.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Not the mod for this forum, but I'll ask. Who is going to be in charge?

Thank you, please let us know what you find out. As for who will be in charge, I'll leave that up to those members who have been here longer than I. I'm not qualified to opine on that decision.

John L

Well, I hate to mention this to you... but you proposed it, and now you are being considered.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, I hate to mention this to you... but you proposed it, and now you are being considered.

Well I guess as long as people are ok with an FNG in that position, I would not be opposed to it.

John L

Hurry and get more posts and get active, then you won't be new any more... you can be the guy that knew.

Hurry and get more posts and get active, then you won't be new any more... you can be the guy that knew.

I do enjoy this place a great deal and am happily active. I don't have any friends that are into fountain pens so this is the only place I can come to for information and to fullfill my fountain pen cravings.

Regardless of what happens with this and who takes charge of it, I hope it becomes something people can utilize and benefit from for a long time.

John L

Get crackin', FNG, because I think you've been elected ;)

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Get crackin', FNG, because I think you've been elected ;)

I haven't heard anything about going forward with this yet. As far as I know the are still just considering it. But I have been thinking of ideas just in case it really does happen. Who knows, I may not even be the guy in charge of it though. So far it's all rumor.

John L

I haven't heard anything about going forward with this yet. As far as I know the are still just considering it. But I have been thinking of ideas just in case it really does happen. Who knows, I may not even be the guy in charge of it though. So far it's all rumor.

What do you mean "in charge?"

How do people envision this will work? Post what you have and what you want?

I think if someone is in charge of this, they might find a millstone around their neck.

Unless you want to run an e-bay type of thing, it should probably just be self regulating. Like the WTT ads in classifieds, you know, you send something nice to somebody else, and then you get something you will want to trade off ASAP.

Trades of pens have for me been a mixed bag. So, nibs. "NOS in box 9312, WTT for 433 1555s," for example. Or "Have 9314-B WTT for Sonnet 18K Med CI."

How are you going to manage this. R U shur U want 2 B in charge of this? Nicht mir.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

What do you mean "in charge?"

How do people envision this will work? Post what you have and what you want?

I think if someone is in charge of this, they might find a millstone around their neck.

Unless you want to run an e-bay type of thing, it should probably just be self regulating. Like the WTT ads in classifieds, you know, you send something nice to somebody else, and then you get something you will want to trade off ASAP.

Trades of pens have for me been a mixed bag. So, nibs. "NOS in box 9312, WTT for 433 1555s," for example. Or "Have 9314-B WTT for Sonnet 18K Med CI."

How are you going to manage this. R U shur U want 2 B in charge of this? Nicht mir.

"In charge" was just the term someone else used earlier in the thread, moderate would probably be a better term. And I see it working very much as you describe. You post what you have and what you're looking for, then if someone can help, those two participants get together and work out a deal that they agree on. But I assume it would need some sort of minimal moderation so things were kept fair and above board, otherwise I see it working just like any other WTT post in the Classifieds.

John L

This is just my opinion and easily worth twice what you paid for it. ;)

Ask any locomotive engineer. In charge means you're just the one who Tries to keep the train on the tracks...

I would just think he (or she) who's idea it was should be that first keep it on the tracks person.

As it has been described, the ENTT would violate a couple forum rules regarding how sales and trades are done. SOMEONE in a Mod or Admin job has to help work that issue(s) out. But, they probably aren't going to run right into this bees nest without someone asking them too.

If someone hasn't already done it I would think a short proposal of how it should work should be sent to the Estieville mods. I would be sure to ask that the thread be pinned if and when it's approved.

Keep in mind that it is a fairly substantial change to how things are done now.

Some people are just naturally resistant to change be it good or bad.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Do you all have an opinion about doing this in the classifieds as a WTT (Wanted to Trade) - then it would be regulated by those rules.

Do you all have an opinion about doing this in the classifieds as a WTT (Wanted to Trade) - then it would be regulated by those rules.

If they will let us, I'd rather keep it as a pinned thread right here in the Esterbrook forum as an ongoing WTT thread. Since it is Esterbrook specific and I'm afraid it could get lost in the pages of the Classifieds.

Edited by jdllizard

John L

This is just my opinion and easily worth twice what you paid for it. ;)

Ask any locomotive engineer. In charge means you're just the one who Tries to keep the train on the tracks...

I would just think he (or she) who's idea it was should be that first keep it on the tracks person.

As it has been described, the ENTT would violate a couple forum rules regarding how sales and trades are done. SOMEONE in a Mod or Admin job has to help work that issue(s) out. But, they probably aren't going to run right into this bees nest without someone asking them too.

If someone hasn't already done it I would think a short proposal of how it should work should be sent to the Estieville mods. I would be sure to ask that the thread be pinned if and when it's approved.

Keep in mind that it is a fairly substantial change to how things are done now.

Some people are just naturally resistant to change be it good or bad.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Just so happens that my brother is a locomotive engineer (my whole family going back to my grandfather were railroaders), but not only do you need to keep the train on the tracks, you have to do it pulling 18,000 tons of coal. But it happens every day and mostly without incidents.

I think this trade thread could work fairly well and be mostly self sustaining, also with very little incidents.

John L

This is what is in my backyard.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Union_Pacific_Caboose/slides/2012-05-29%2009.15.25.jpg

This is what is in my backyard.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Union_Pacific_Caboose/slides/2012-05-29%2009.15.25.jpg

Very cool! When my uncle was still alive he lived right on the banks of the Missouri River and had an old caboose in his front yard that I would always sleep in when I would go stay and fish with him. He had a perfectly good spare bedroom but it was just more fun staying in the caboose. He had remodeled the interior somewhat so it had a more comfortable bunk and electric lights. Edited by jdllizard

John L

This is one of the engines for the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia. A coal burner.

Stuff%2520001.jpg

While there were such things as automatic coal feeders, running in the mountains with varying loads of cut trees, automatic feeders do not work very well. Only one kind of coal feeder Does work very well.

Her. And a big coal shovel.

Stuff%2520047.jpg

They said she shoveled around 5000 lbs of coal in the 2.5 hr trip we went on.

She was a very nice lady. Were she not however, Trust Me! I. Would. Not. have screwed with her...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You know she has great biceps!

Stuff%2520005A.jpg

The same engine under way.

Note the orange glow in the window of the engine. They have the coal door open for loading more in.

Yep. I'd say it gets pretty warm in that cab.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl