Clearning A Pen

SkylarKnight

Hello :)

I have not used my pens in a month or so, and I found that all but 2 have had the ink dry in the feed and nib. I remember reading that to clean pens like that you should leave the feed and nib in hot\warm water for a few hours, but I am not sure of that. All of my pens are Chinese except the Lamy (which also seems to be dried out ">>), and I am afraid of ruining the feed and nib if I do so. Could someone instruct me on the cleaning process? thank you :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkylarKnight

• estie1948

• Randal6393

• dragos.mocanu

I would only ever use cold or lukewarm not hot water. Then you should be safe enough.

You will need to flush them through after soaking

There's no chance of ruining a pen if you soak it in cold/lukewarm water..don't use hot water though! If your pens are C/C, invest in a bulb syringe, it's very effective at flushing this type of pen:

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Thanks, I will soak them overnight.

I would get a bulb syringe, but I cannot do it just yet - paycheck is late, and I have some stuff I need to sort out first. I have a normal medical syringe though, and it does the job with flushing if I ever need that :)

Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

Thanks, I will soak them overnight.

I would get a bulb syringe, but I cannot do it just yet - paycheck is late, and I have some stuff I need to sort out first. I have a normal medical syringe though, and it does the job with flushing if I ever need that :)

The medical syringe works every bit as well if not better than the bulb syringe. Bulb syringes can be obtained without speaking to a pharmacist and without causing anyone to wonder about one's true planned use for the medical syringe ("Clean and flush a fountain pen? Yeah! Sure! . . . Say, what is a fountain pen?"). Of course, if one has extremely large, clumsy hands or has a fear of injections, one might well wish to go with the bulb syringe.

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

The medical syringe works every bit as well if not better than the bulb syringe. Bulb syringes can be obtained without speaking to a pharmacist and without causing anyone to wonder about one's true planned use for the medical syringe ("Clean and flush a fountain pen? Yeah! Sure! . . . Say, what is a fountain pen?"). Of course, if one has extremely large, clumsy hands or has a fear of injections, one might well wish to go with the bulb syringe.

-David.

oh, I don't use the needle of the syringe! I removed it and put it aside for when I need to fill a cartridge with ink :) I just use the actual syringe and fill it up with water. It's a small one (about 10ml) but it works well :)

oh, I don't use the needle of the syringe! I removed it and put it aside for when I need to fill a cartridge with ink :) I just use the actual syringe and fill it up with water. It's a small one (about 10ml) but it works well :)

I'm sorry! I did not mean to imply that you should use the syringe with its needle in place. Now that you mention it, with the needle on it might be good to flush the fins of the feed . . . oh, I would probably poke myself.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hi again, Skylar,

Have a few 10 ml syringes in my cleaning kit for pens. With sharps and blunt needles. It's easy to clean the nib assembly, empty and clean a cartridge or a converter, and fill cartridges/converters, etc. with such a syringe. Wouldn't be without mine.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

If plain water soak is not completely doing it, a prolonged soak in dilute ammonia solution (one part household ammonia in ten parts water) will speed up the dissolving of the ink. Also, if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, this will also help loosen dried ink deposits. Good luck!

Hello from Texas Skylar! Hadn't seen you post much lately, and SuSeMaI has sent out sachets!

You can soak until the cows come home with tepid water. Anything that will force water through will speed up the process. I like to flush both ways, seems to loosen ink faster. I have a pair of bulb syringes, each altered to fit certain pens better. A small amount of ammonia, 10%, can help in some instances. Be sure to flush with straight water afterwards. Good luck.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Much the same here, cool water, with a (1) drop of dish washing detergent, nib and section left in this solution overnight, then place the nib upside down on a paper towel to draw the water out.

If any of the pens has a converter, then it can be used to flush the pen, the only problem is that the converter will have water in it, which will have to be dried out.

Hi again, Skylar,

Have a few 10 ml syringes in my cleaning kit for pens. With sharps and blunt needles. It's easy to clean the nib assembly, empty and clean a cartridge or a converter, and fill cartridges/converters, etc. with such a syringe. Wouldn't be without mine.

Enjoy,

I just checked and mine is 3.5 ml, but it does the job :) What are the sharp ones for? I would only use a blunt one for my pens!

I'm sorry! I did not mean to imply that you should use the syringe with its needle in place. Now that you mention it, with the needle on it might be good to flush the fins of the feed . . . oh, I would probably poke myself.

-David.

Ah, ofcorse haha! I never poke myself, though.. I am somehow very careful, although a clumsy person from time to time XD

If plain water soak is not completely doing it, a prolonged soak in dilute ammonia solution (one part household ammonia in ten parts water) will speed up the dissolving of the ink. Also, if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, this will also help loosen dried ink deposits. Good luck!

I will try that if I see the ink doesn't wanna go away! thanks!

Hello from Texas Skylar! Hadn't seen you post much lately, and SuSeMaI has sent out sachets!

You can soak until the cows come home with tepid water. Anything that will force water through will speed up the process. I like to flush both ways, seems to loosen ink faster. I have a pair of bulb syringes, each altered to fit certain pens better. A small amount of ammonia, 10%, can help in some instances. Be sure to flush with straight water afterwards. Good luck.

Paul

Hello Paul!

I don't have any bulb syringes yet, will get one ASAP :P

I have received the satchets! can't wait to mix the inks, but I don't have any containers right now.. ;-;

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Much the same here, cool water, with a (1) drop of dish washing detergent, nib and section left in this solution overnight, then place the nib upside down on a paper towel to draw the water out.

If any of the pens has a converter, then it can be used to flush the pen, the only problem is that the converter will have water in it, which will have to be dried out.

Yeah I am so tired of turning the piston 30+ times on each pen... and one of them doesn't have a converter - I am using a cartridge that I refill with whatever ink I like.