Is It Me, Or Are The Goulet Ink Samples Equal Parts Blessing And Curse?

Behike54

These vials are probably the only viable option from a business standpoint and offering the ink samples is awesome, I'll agree with that.

That said, filling a pen with those, depending on pen size or amount of ink is MAJOR SUCKAGE.

Does anybody use an alternate system, say, filling converter with syringe? Any other ideas? Down-side of syringe alternative? (I'm thinking out loud here)

argh........ :angry:

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lou Erickson

• Behike54

• Randal6393

• chas0039

Top Posters In This Topic

These vials are probably the only viable option from a business standpoint and offering the ink samples is awesome, I'll agree with that.

That said, filling a pen with those, depending on pen size or amount of ink is MAJOR SUCKAGE.

Does anybody use an alternate system, say, filling converter with syringe? Any other ideas? Down-side of syringe alternative? (I'm thinking out loud here)

Some pens fill just fine. Once, for a sample.

For others, we either fill a converter/cartridge/eyedropper-converted pen with a syringe.

Some few of our pens just have to wait for a bottle after a sampled ink has show itself worthy. :)

When the ink level in the converter gets below the intake port on the pen, yes, time for alternative methods.

• If you have a converter, pull the converter and directly fill the converter from the vial or use a syringe.
  • If you have a pen like the Esterbrook or Pelikan, where you can unscrew the nib, you can syringe fill directly into the pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I hardly ever see this mentioned, but why use a syringe when you can just fill the c/c directly from the sample vial? It comes right out, you can fill to the last drop, and stick it right back in. It might take a few seconds for the ink to work through the feed, but by the time you have the pen back together and the ink secured, you're good to go.

Piston fillers and others that draw through the nib exclusively are more problematic. And there's always quite a bit of ink left unusable in a container with these type fillers. Some very ingenious mechanisms have been invented to handle this, the most famous is probably the Shaeffer Snorkel (they get bonus points for the neat name).

I use my Pilot 18k to fill from the GPC sample vials as that is only pen I can suck ever drop from a vival. If you look where the filler hole is you'll under stand why.

Syringe only is the best way.

Apparently I just tried to stick a STD converter to suck up the ink and it couldn't get the last drop.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I am so grateful for all the responses in a short amount of time.

Being relatively new I thought there was a "secret" that only the cognoscenti know about! :blush: :thumbup:

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

...or maybe try a Snorkel :D ...though it's a pain to thoroughly clean afterwards.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

My Sailor does a good job. I'm guessing the fit of the nib on the feed is so tight you can draw up ink through the tip if drawn slowly enough.

I can't fill my Pelikans from a 2mL sample of ink so have to remove the nib unit to syringe-fill. I've started getting samples from the Andersons and isellpens more often instead. That extra 1mL to dip into can make a big difference!

This is what I do with my Pelikan too. I clean it out so thoroughly between different inks that I was taking it all apart anyway. I just thought it made more sense to syringe fill so I could get more ink out of that sample vial...I think I've found my main inks though, so I'm done with those vials for awhile I think!!

I can fill most of my pens directly from the vial but when the level gets too low a syringe/needle does the trick. For a few of my pens I can use a really narrow pipette (disposable or not as you choose).

There is a video or two on YouTube that shows how to fill a piston or cartridge pen through the nib and feed. Tried it, requires a lot of patience and work. But it did allow me to use up all my Qin Shi Huang sample.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I have numerous Preppy pens just waiting to try out samples. I will either dip to see what it looks like or pour it into the eyedropper converted pens. At less than $3 per pen, they are worth a lot for trying out ink.

I think the syringe is the answer. But I would use it to fill a cleaned-out cartridge, rather than repeatedly removing and inserting a converter. A lot of converters seem to have relatively vulnerable plastic end pieces that can wear, distort, or crack if they are taken on and off the section repeatedly. That said, I have not had a converter fail for that reason. Yet.

ron

argh........ :angry:

Plastic pipette, or industrial syringe. Sometimes I can get away with loading a Hero 616 from those vials, but that's about it,

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Pretty much always use a syringe for filling from the sample vials. Works great with all my pens so far.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

My syringe doesn't reach the bottom of the vials, so I use 'pipettes' which are slim and longer. Wash them out and use them again.

It depends. Some of the pens with #6 sized nibs I have trouble with, even with a single fill.

I tried doing the trick of filling with a syringe on non-eyedropper and non-C/C pens. All that happened was that I made a mess -- and it was with Noodler's Kung Te Cheng at that... and now there are permanent stains on my grandparents' dresser, and on my box spring (don't ask; just...don't... :blush:). I just wasn't co-ordinated enough to do it right, and gave up.

A couple of companies do (or did) have 3 ml sample vials, and I found that those are easier to use, especially with larger pens. But I do understand that it's not necessarily cost effective for those retailers to do that.

A lot of times I will just have to use pens with smaller nibs, especially after the first fill from a sample.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."