Noodler's Samplers At Uw Bookstore

takkun

Here in Seattle, we have a great resource for pen fanatics and writers alike, and that's my own school bookstore, the UW-Seattle flagship store on 45th and University Way. I actually bought my first FP, a Lamy Safari (of which I've gone through a handful through both undergrad and grad school), years and years ago, here.

They carry a huge portion of Noodler's range, complete with some wonderful hand-drawn samples.

http://i.imgur.com/4spPb6ml.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z4xMv3Fl.jpg

Apologies for the mobile phone photos--I was trying to be fast and look slightly less like a weirdo than I usually do.

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• takkun

• SeeksAdvice

• Lou Erickson

• Millefleurs

Wow. I really like seeing ink samples that cover larger areas than just a line. This is quite unusual. It would be even more useful if these images could be permitted via scanning or hd photos. If the store sells ink via mail order it would really break the ice to many who are looking for great ink samples. Living far from a true stationery store I sometimes do a Google search on a single ink type and brand inorder to make an online purchase. Depending on the computer color caliberation and quality of the image taken - the samples show differently and the true color can only be matched based on the majority of online image samples available. I have asked numerous times for a hard copy of ink samples from Noodler's Ink and they are certainly unavailable. If there was a sample book of these inks I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

Edited by TREBFPN

It's really great, I agree. I bought a bottle of Iroshizuku (see my review thread) based on an illustration the staff did in the display case with the ink. You get to see how it behaves, still with a pen, but in a wider range of line and flow. I've only ever bought ink in person--at UW, Bromfield Pen in Boston, and Bob Slate in Cambridge, for that very reason. It seems that online retailers either write the name in the respective ink, or do a cotton-swab swatch, which really isn't sufficient to get a feel for how it looks in a pen.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir

And hand-drafting tools, and art supplies, and, of course, more Husky-branded (bleep) I'll ever need. Full line of Copic markers, Higgins inks, W&N watercolors, Tombow drawing pencils, and so on (at least at the U Way store). Even a limited stock of 4x5"film and darkroom supplies. They don't list any online, unfortunately. I do spend far too much here on class materials, but it's worth it with the student rebate. I've bought at least 3 Safaris here over the years, a Nib Creaper when they first came out, and an Ahab when I finally became a student, at long last. they were the official bookstore for my small prep high school, which is how I first got exposed to FPs.

They do have an unadvertised, twice-annual fountain pen sale. Any Puget Sound-area FPNers ought to get on their mailing list.

(Edit: cr*p was censored. Really?)

Edited by takkun

Looking at some of those pictures, I'm wondering what the artist was smoking/snorting/ingesting/injecting freebasing at the time... Of course, Seattle is cold, grey, and drizzly, so I guess they have plenty of time to doodle.

Surprised that they'd have an FP sale. I went to The College of William and Mary over in Williamsburg, VA. It's the home of traditionalism. Never saw any FP's in their bookstore.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Hey, we do have marijuana here, so who knows..

But seriously, in Seattle, the only other place with FPs is really World Lux downtown, and that's essentially nothing but Mont Blanc. Our bookstore is really wonderful. Where else can you get football jerseys and Watermans in the same place?

Seeks... OUCH... Personally, I loved the doodles. I wish I doodled as well.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hey, we do have marijuana here, so who knows..

But seriously, in Seattle, the only other place with FPs is really World Lux downtown, and that's essentially nothing but Mont Blanc. Our bookstore is really wonderful. Where else can you get football jerseys and Watermans in the same place?

According to the web site, World Lux has shut down.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for the post Ian, it may be enough to get me off of the island (Whidbey) and into Seattle. I especially like the doodle of "Okopogo" (the serpent supposedly living in Lake Okonagan, in British Colombia).

The UW Bookstore is a really great place. A full art supply store, and a ton of fascinating books - lots more than just textbooks. I wasn't looking for FP's last time I was there, but I am not at all surprised they have some.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Seeks... OUCH... Personally, I loved the doodles. I wish I doodled as well.

I want to see what ink looks like in writing, not in washes, etc. Doodling fantasy creatures doesn't tell me how the ink works in more traditional settings. Some of that stuff really does look like the product of substance induced hallucinations.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I want to see what ink looks like in writing, not in washes, etc. Doodling fantasy creatures doesn't tell me how the ink works in more traditional settings. Some of that stuff really does look like the product of substance induced hallucinations.

You mean the sea-dragon-cat-fish and the literal cat-fish.

#Nope

Funny, I see imagination and creativity at play here. What a bizarre statement to make (not to mention pretty judgmental :unsure:).

Anyway, back to the original topic. I wish I'd known this when I was visiting Seattle earlier this year - I definitely would have picked some ink up, I'm sure. That said, I did find a lovely little stationary store just a few blocks away from the Seattle library downtown (the name escapes me right now) that carried the full range of J. Herbin inks (I picked up a bottle of Orange Indien) and some gorgeous leather-bound notebooks.

There used to be a stationery shop at U Village that had ink and Pilot pens; they carried VPs there, for instance. But I don't remember the name or know if it's still there.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Reading this thread reminded me of a time, decades ago, when I was a student at that bookstore buying my textbooks. I remember looking at the Clairfontaine notebooks and wondering why on earth anyone would pay that much for a notebook. It took me a while, but I figured it out. :wub:

And hand-drafting tools, and art supplies, and, of course, more Husky-branded (bleep) I'll ever need. Full line of Copic markers, Higgins inks, W&N watercolors, Tombow drawing pencils, and so on (at least at the U Way store). Even a limited stock of 4x5"film and darkroom supplies. They don't list any online, unfortunately. I do spend far too much here on class materials, but it's worth it with the student rebate. I've bought at least 3 Safaris here over the years, a Nib Creaper when they first came out, and an Ahab when I finally became a student, at long last. they were the official bookstore for my small prep high school, which is how I first got exposed to FPs.

They do have an unadvertised, twice-annual fountain pen sale. Any Puget Sound-area FPNers ought to get on their mailing list.

(Edit: cr*p was censored. Really?)

Did you just volunteer to become our...muahahaaaa....DEALER?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

There used to be a stationery shop at U Village that had ink and Pilot pens; they carried VPs there, for instance. But I don't remember the name or know if it's still there.

I know the store you mean, and I cannot remember the name either. It lost its lease years ago and was replaced by an Apple store. It had a fair selection of pens other than Pilot, and special orders were accepted. There was a closeout sale and I made off with some pretty good deals.