Decades Of Pens

lmarine0510

Which specific pen immediately comes to mind when thinking of a certain decade in the history of pens? In my mind, I have a FP that I immediately associate with each decade since the 1900's. I am wondering what all of yours are.

here's my list: I'll start at the 1900's.

1900's: Conklin Crecent Filler

1910's: Waterman's Ideal Safety Pen

1920's: Parker Duofold "Big Red" Senior

1930's: Sheaffer Balance

1940's: Eversharp Skyline

1950's: Parker 51

1960's: Sheaffer PFM

1970's: Parker 45

1980's: Pelikan m200

1990's: Parker Sonnet

2000's: Sheaffer Prelude

2010's: TWSBI 580

I'll be interested to read all of yours.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• risingsun

• Ernst Bitterman

• lmarine0510

• georges zaslavsky

It is really interesting how most of your pens are U.S. pens. I agree in general, but I think that by the 1980s we really need to think of mainly non-U.S. pen companies. I am glad you have Pelikan in there. I would add for the 1990s Sailor 1911 and for the 2000s, I would say Visconti Van Gogh.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

For me the 70s are marked with Parker 45 and Parker 25. I received a 45 FP/BP set for my 13th birthday and really wanted a 25 when they came out (but only got my first one in 1990).

Dan

1920's is straight Simplo Safety Filler...

A pen that I will someday have in my collection. The right one just has not yet come along.

It is really interesting how most of your pens are U.S. pens. I agree in general, but I think that by the 1980s we really need to think of mainly non-U.S. pen companies. I am glad you have Pelikan in there. I would add for the 1990s Sailor 1911 and for the 2000s, I would say Visconti Van Gogh.

Erick

I would say that you are probably right. I am not very familiar with nor am I particularly interested in many modern pens and my collection consists of almost exclusively American pens of pre-70's vintage. I based the last few decades on pens that I own from the respective decades.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

My list is not far off yours - my only differences would be:

1940's: Parker Vacumatic

1960':s Esterbrook J

2010's: Pilot Vanishing Point

Kindest regards, Robin

Parker 51 should be 40s not 50s... I'd go with the Pelikan 400 or the Sheaffer Snorkel for the 50s.

I like the idea of Lamy in the 60s, but not quite mainstream enough... Maybe Sheaffer Imperial instead of the PFM?

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I have no solid knowledge of pens prior to the 1920s, so I'll start later:

1920s: Parker Duofold/Radite Sheaffer's Flat Top

1930s: Parker Vacumatic

1940s: Parker "51"

1950s: Parker "51" ( :D)

1960s: Lamy 2000

1970s: Parker 45 (maybe?)

after which period it all gets blurry for me until the 2010s, when, IMHO, the Noodler's pens made the biggest impact on the fountain pen enthusiast community. Of course, one can also fill all the gaps from 1960s to present with the Lamy 2000.

Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Only old pen I have is a Waterman 52.

(Odd I don't really think of '30's pens as 'old'.)

Don't have a New Balance...the pen that shifted folks away from flat tops.

'30's Pelikan 100n...a couple of other piston pens but they don't really count as trend setters & a Vac

'40-60's P-51

'50's Snorkel and the P-45, Pelikan 400's(have a 500&400n&400NN)....(my 146 is '70-80.)***

'60's-70-80's P-75

'mid 60-72, Geha 725 (not a trendy pen but real class all the way.)

'80's-97 Pelikan 400. The return of good pens.

***Don't think the 146-9 Piston New Balance clones as trend setters. Fat cigar pens really didn't set any trends, they just refused to go away.

I got more vintage pens, that didn't start any trends.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Subjectively & based on my pens (most being from the 40ies)

1890`s _Mabie, Todd & Bard, Golden ED

1900`s …nope...

1910`s _Mabie Todd, HR ED

1920`s _Météore Mottled HR lever-fill Flattop

1930`s _Wahl Eversharp Doric

1940`s _Stylomine 303, Eversharp Skyline, Bayard

1950`s _Pelikan 400

1960`s _Montblanc 24

1970`s ...nope...

1980`s _Lamy Safari

1990`s …nope...

2000`s …nope...

2010`s _Franklin-Christoph + Noodler`s

Edited by Polanova

'40s: Sheaffer Triumph family.

'50s: Parker 51 (yes, I know...).

'60s: Pelikan M20 (the "New Pelikan" group, and this association is new, but powerful)

'70s: Sheaffer school pens, because that's where I started.

'80s: Tubular Watermans.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

for me 20's are marked with Waterman's 18, 20, 58 and 92 fp as well with the duofold

30's with the omas lucens, sheaffer balance, the streamline duofolds and the waterman patrician

40's the 51,the vac, the triumph nibbed sheaffers, the mb 138, 139, the pelikan 100nn

50's the touchdown and snorkel, 51, 146, 149

60's PFM and Parker 75

70's nothing

80's Waterman Le Man 100, Sheaffer Connaisseur, Sheaffer Targa

90's Montegrappa Extra, Omas 360, Tibaldi Iride

00's Oldwin and AD 2000

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time