Boring Blue

andreasn

I don't think there are any colours which are boring, and especially not blue. Deep blues and cobalt-blues are ink heaven to me :wub: .

The pictures are in sets of two. The first two are Ishida Bungu Hakodate Twilight, the next two are Maruen Eternal Blue, and the last two ("Thinking of you") are the pictures that apparently made everyone on FPN go into a feeding frenzy when Sailor Yama-dori was rereleased. :D

Those are some gorgeous blues you got there. You've got a way with the shading ;). Love close ups like that

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Princeps Anglorum

• amberleadavis

• saskia_madding

• gwyneddd

It really matters on the blue. There are some really interesting blues with shading and sheen but some blues are just a boring blue that come in the cheep cartridges that come with pens.

"Never Say goodbye, because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting,"

-Peter Pan

Wouldn't say that blue is boring.

Iroshizuku Ama-Iro is close to the color of a North Dakota sky in winter. When the dust has been settled by the snow, when the air is crisp and clean. When you look outside and just *know* it's **COLD** outside. The color of -25F in the afternoon.

Iroshizuku Asa-Gao + Take-Sumi in a 1:1 ratio creates a nice, very formal blue-black. Somewhat similar to the old IG formula MB-MB.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Use some Peacock blue and you'll love it. And never find another blue boring.

Or just use some of Kon-peki in a Noodler's Flex pen.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

If you want people to pay attention to what you are writing rather than to the interesting color of the ink, then a blue ink leaning to the boring side may not be too bad. There's a reason why dark and subdued blue and blueblack inks have been used for many decades for business use. So it very much depends on the context in which you are writing.

OK, I'll say it. Yes you are the only person who thinks blues are boring. The rest of the world goes on discovering other shades of blue and variants of blue both out of the ink bottles and in nature. Few things in nature are actually blue, but when they are they can be vast; think oceans, lakes and sky. If you think that blue is boring then you should go to a desert where everything is brown, red, and dead. But then the sky above would be bright without a cloud and blast you with boring blue sky. Sorry, you can not escape blue except in a dark cave or in death.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I kind of get the original posters point though. When I first got into fountain pen inks, the vast possibilities were staggering. I definitely had a bit of a 'normal ink is for chumps' phase where my favorite inks were Noodlers Dragons Napalm, Diamine Oxblood and J. Herbin Rouge Hematite. Then I calmed down some. Specifically, Iroshizuku Kon-Peki helped me calm down.

And then I discovered how fabulous Lamy Turquiose looks in a wet nib.

Blue and black inks are the most common inks used in disposable pens so I can see someone choosing riotous colours specifically to emphasise that they are Not using a regular ol' Bic/Biro. I think it is a fairly normal phase of discovering fountain pens really.

Maybe in a year the original poster will be cruising ebay looking for the best deal on Nagasawa Kobe Ink No. 44 and will have forgotten all about this post.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

The normal blue inks remind me too much of high school, that's why I think they are boring. However, I love turquoise and blue-black such as ESSRI :)

Well, generally not a blue ink kind of person, but some are can be interesting. I really like Diamine Asa Blue, Herbin Bleu Pervenche just for two example, and setting my eyes on Ku-jaku...

Use some Peacock blue and you'll love it. And never find another blue boring.

Sheaffer Peacock Blue has been out of production for a long time.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Am i the only one here that thinks blue inks are boring, even more boring than black.

It seems as if everyone uses blue inks, especially ball point users. So now I've come to a point where I find every blue ink boring.

Do you think blue ink is boring?

I think it is harder for a blue ink to be interesting. So yeah, they get boring. So we dabble with The Ink That Shall Not Be Named, or we get addicted to Kon-Peki, which is gushy but a not-boring blue, or we play with bleu pervenche (Herbin) too light, or Ajisai or any of the periwinkle or purply blues. We mix black into blue to try to get a midnight and we look at teals and turquoise to get away from the blue blahs.

Having said that, my most used ink is Kon-Peki and yeah, it's blue. The only thing more boring than blue is black.

Sheaffer Peacock Blue has been out of production for a long time.

But there is to much of supply right now.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I quite like all shades of blue. My current favorite is midnight blue by Montblanc.

Maybe it's time for you to experiment with other shades of blue and other colors.

Edited by meiers

Am i the only one here that thinks blue inks are boring, even more boring than black.

It seems as if everyone uses blue inks, especially ball point users. So now I've come to a point where I find every blue ink boring.

Do you think blue ink is boring?

And you are entitled to your feelings and perceptions. However those feelings might change.

I think blue and red inks are the least boring ink colors. Some blues are more mundane than others, but dismissing them all together belies an awareness of their diversity and nuances. Green inks stay in my pens for the shortest times. I won't say they're boring in the least, just that I tire of them rather quickly for reasons unknown.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Is Ishida Bungu Hakodate Twilight available anywhere? I my google foo is failing me.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I understand the original poster's frustration --I find blue to be the most conventional (if not boring!) of colors for fountain pen ink, with the most dull shades in use for so long in schools and for business use. So when I use blue, it has to be something unusual or eye-catching.

Here's what I have in my drawer at the moment. I am waiting for a bottle of Ama-iro (and I LOVE the description that SeeksAdvice wrote!); I'm hoping that it will satisfy my need for a bright blue that won't look too dark in a vintage flex-nib pen...

fpn_1413981687__the_blues.jpg